WG3526 connection problems - no signal, AT!GSTATUS? fails

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
thebranman
Been thanked: 0

WG3526 connection problems - no signal, AT!GSTATUS? fails

Post by thebranman »

Hello , I appreciate any eyes on this issue.

I've installed the proper GoldenOrb based on all posted tutorials I've read through...I've read through all the troubleshooting issues and nothing seems to resolve my problem. Basically I've scoured other posts about connection issues and nothing is helping either.

I have an MC4755 modem installed (checked pigtails) confirmed :
Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 12.50.01 PM.png
I have Modem Connection Monitoring set properly (Enabled w/ modem reconnect) but it continually states "MODEM PRESENT/NOT CONNECTED" on the Modem Miscellaneous screen.

Basically I've followed every tutorial until the AT Command section, where I keep getting the same error: "Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB1."
Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 12.52.01 PM.png

I have connected the antenna properly too, but since I can't even get AT Commands to work, it's hard for me to understand what the issue is. I have my SIM installed how I think to be correct, and the Rooter page doesn't seem to notice the SIM anywhere...is this what is causing the AT command issue? I have rebooted and reconnected my modem several times and it always shows as connected, so I don't believe it can be the USB/Ethernet device I'm using. Many thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swwifty

Re: WG3526 modem/USB connection issues

Post by swwifty »

a few questions come to mind.

1. has this ever worked?

2. is the modem internal to this router? I'm not familiar with it, but I would check the cables on it.

3. if you login to the router, and run `dmesg | grep -i usb` do you see the modem listed?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:08 pm a few questions come to mind.

1. has this ever worked?

2. is the modem internal to this router? I'm not familiar with it, but I would check the cables on it.

3. if you login to the router, and run `dmesg | grep -i usb` do you see the modem listed?
1. no (this is my first time setting up this router)
2. no, I installed it myself and just double checked the pigtail connection
3. I'm on a mac so cant specifically run that, but it shows the modem under Modem -> Network Status
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

thebranman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:05 pm 1. no (this is my first time setting up this router)
2. no, I installed it myself and just double checked the pigtail connection
3. I'm on a mac so cant specifically run that, but it shows the modem under Modem -> Network Status
Are you sure there's towers within your location?

I've seen this kind of behavior when there's no signal to connect to.

oh, also, I meant to run the dmesg command on the router. Can you ssh into it and run that command?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

Not sure if this means anything to anyone but here is the text in my Device Info under Modem > Debug Info:

T: Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=5000 MxCh= 1
B: Alloc= 0/800 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 3.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=03 MxPS= 9 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0003 Rev= 4.04
S: Manufacturer=Linux 4.4.92 xhci-hcd
S: Product=xHCI Host Controller
S: SerialNumber=1e1c0000.xhci
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 4 Ivl=256ms
********************************************************************************************************
T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=480 MxCh= 2
B: Alloc= 0/800 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev= 4.04
S: Manufacturer=Linux 4.4.92 xhci-hcd
S: Product=xHCI Host Controller
S: SerialNumber=1e1c0000.xhci
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 4 Ivl=256ms
********************************************************************************************************
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 8 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=1199 ProdID=9070 Rev= 0.00
S: Manufacturer=Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
S: Product=MC7455
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr= 2mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=qcserial
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

looks like its not an issue (as far as I can tell with seeing the modem hardware wise) I'd suspect its a service issue?

What carrier are you using?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:09 pm Are you sure there's towers within your location?

I've seen this kind of behavior when there's no signal to connect to.
thanks for your reply

Yes, there are towers within a few miles and I have some dual 15db omni hooked up. This just seems like a more basic connectivity problem since the Modem is Present/Not Connected in the Modem>Miscellaneous section of the router web interface. But what do I know...this is my first time setting something up like this before. I do feel that I've exhausted all reading material on this router and nothing seems to work. :?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:13 pm
I have AT&T and I used my correct APN in the Modem>Connection Info section. The warnings I'm getting in the Modem>Misc section re: connectivity keep saying "Modem Present/Not Connected" and then I get a USB error when inputting an AT Command in the same section: "Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB1."
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

thebranman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:20 pm I have AT&T and I used my correct APN in the Modem>Connection Info section. The warnings I'm getting in the Modem>Misc section re: connectivity keep saying "Modem Present/Not Connected" and then I get a USB error when inputting an AT Command in the same section: "Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB1."
I've seen that when it can't find signal, but typically you can still issue AT commands.

Are you using the broadband APN? are you sure there is no whitespace at the end of where you typed it in?

Also what antennas are you using? Never heard of any 15dbi omni antennas.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:09 pm I've seen that when it can't find signal, but typically you can still issue AT commands.

Are you using the broadband APN? are you sure there is no whitespace at the end of where you typed it in?

Also what antennas are you using? Never heard of any 15dbi omni antennas.
Hi again...confirmed, there is no white space.

Also, apologies, did not mean omni...directional! ;)
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

so you can't issue any at! commands via the miscellaneous page in GoldenOrb?

I was thinking it's possible your modem is in the wrong mode (MBIM vs QMI)
Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 7.26.45 PM.png
Taken from: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16 ... =mbim#p107
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

thebranman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:15 pm Hi again...confirmed, there is no white space.

Also, apologies, did not mean omni...directional! ;)
could you try too with the factory antennas that came with the router? Typically they come with small omni directional antennas, that might be worth trying out, to rule out any cabling/antenna issues.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:29 pm could you try too with the factory antennas that came with the router? Typically they come with small omni directional antennas, that might be worth trying out, to rule out any cabling/antenna issues.
actually the WG3526 doesnt come with the small antenna...I dont know if it's possible, but could I take off either the 2.4 or 5 ghz antenna and substitute those for testing purposes?

thanks for all your responses
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

thebranman wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:36 pm actually the WG3526 doesnt come with the small antenna...I dont know if it's possible, but could I take off either the 2.4 or 5 ghz antenna and substitute those for testing purposes?

thanks for all your responses
you could for testing purposes if they have the proper connector. just make sure you don't confuse sma and rp-sma, as they look very similar but aren't compatible.

I would look into make sure your modem is in mbim mode as expected. The behavior you are describing sounds like that is the issue, and I recall when I first setup my MC7455, I had a similar issue.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:40 pm The behavior you are describing sounds like that is the issue, and I recall when I first setup my MC7455, I had a similar issue.
Thanks! Ill review this MBIM mode tomorrow after I have refilled my patience meter a little bit with a good night sleep :D
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:40 pm
I would look into make sure your modem is in mbim mode as expected.

Hello again,

I followed that MBIM instruction you linked to and can't get very far (as I don't speak Russian..it also won't let me copy/paste the text in the warning/error :x ) at all. I installed all the appropriate drivers from Sierra and nothing is still showing up. The only thing that shows up in the Huawei Terminal is COM1 and that doesn't do anything for me.
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.55.36 PM.png
When I go into Devices Manager, there is nothing under COM when the router is plugged in via USB. For some reason, the router shows up as an E:/ Drive...
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 12.59.29 PM.png

Did you run into this issue when setting up your MC4755?
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

You're using windows to try and send AT commands to the modem? I configured mine to use MBIM mode via the "Misc" option under "Modem" in Golden Orb. From there, you'll see an option to send AT commands. You had a screenshot of it earlier in this thread. That's how I did it. I suppose you could do it, but plugging it into a different computer, but I did it that way.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:14 pm You're using windows to try and send AT commands to the modem? I configured mine to use MBIM mode via the "Misc" option under "Modem" in Golden Orb. From there, you'll see an option to send AT commands. You had a screenshot of it earlier in this thread. That's how I did it. I suppose you could do it, but plugging it into a different computer, but I did it that way.
Yeah, I've been trying to do everything possible in Golden Orb but was referred to turn on MBIM mode https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16 ... =mbim#p107 from the link you supplied.

There is no prompt to 'turn on' MBIM mode via golden orb, at least on my end :cry:
Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 1.46.46 PM.png
swwifty

Re: WG3526 connection problems - MBIM not working, router not visible anywhere

Post by swwifty »

You need to issue the AT command to put the modem in MBIM mode where it says "AT-Command:"

First you have to enter the security code, and hit send command as describe in the other tutorials, then submit the command to put it in MBIM mode.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:16 pm You need to issue the AT command to put the modem in MBIM mode where it says "AT-Command:"

First you have to enter the security code, and hit send command as describe in the other tutorials, then submit the command to put it in MBIM mode.
Yes, I realize that...as my first post stated, I'm not even getting past basic connection roadblocks. If I try to initiate any AT Commands, I am met with "Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB1."

What security code are you speaking of? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere before. Thank you
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

thebranman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:23 pm Yes, I realize that...as my first post stated, I'm not even getting past basic connection roadblocks. If I try to initiate any AT Commands, I am met with "Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB1."

What security code are you speaking of? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere before. Thank you
I was referring to the AT command 'AT!ENTERCND="A710"' which enables advanced commands, and is required to be entered before you can switch the modem out of QMI mode into MBIM.

Is it possible for you to try this modem attached to another computer? I know you shared a screenshot earlier of trying it, but I'm not super familiar with hooking up Sierra modems outside of Linux.

One other option is to see if you can select a different modem on the misc page in GoldenOrb. Can you hit next modem and see if it selects the proper one? I recall also having an issue like this in the past, where for some reason the OS saw two modems instead of just one, and only one worked.

Also, another option would be to try and reinstall GoldenOrb from scratch, or reset it to factory defaults, and see if that enables you to then issue AT commands. You should be able to issue AT commands, even if you aren't connected to any carrier.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:10 pm I was referring to the AT command 'AT!ENTERCND="A710"' which enables advanced commands, and is required to be entered before you can switch the modem out of QMI mode into MBIM.

Also, another option would be to try and reinstall GoldenOrb from scratch, or reset it to factory defaults, and see if that enables you to then issue AT commands. You should be able to issue AT commands, even if you aren't connected to any carrier.
Hi again -

Yes, sadly have tried that AT Command you mentioned...nothing I input works and is always met with "Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB1". I reset the router and reinstalled from scratch twice now to no avail. It's confusing because it mentions that the modem is definitely there and points at it in the Rooter interface, but then I get USB errors (USB is related to my ethernet dongle, which works for everything else I've tried so I don't think it's malfunctioning) when I try to connect to it on the Modem>Misc page. I've tried shuffling the modem 1&2 and that didn't work either.

I'm about ready to give up on this..I've easily put 10+ hours into reading every tutorial i've come across, numerous attempts on every step etc. :? thanks for assistance
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

thebranman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:46 pm Hi again -

Yes, sadly have tried that AT Command you mentioned...nothing I input works and is always met with "Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB1". I reset the router and reinstalled from scratch twice now to no avail. It's confusing because it mentions that the modem is definitely there and points at it in the Rooter interface, but then I get USB errors (USB is related to my ethernet dongle, which works for everything else I've tried so I don't think it's malfunctioning) when I try to connect to it on the Modem>Misc page. I've tried shuffling the modem 1&2 and that didn't work either.

I'm about ready to give up on this..I've easily put 10+ hours into reading every tutorial i've come across, numerous attempts on every step etc. :? thanks for assistance
It's possible the modem itself is defective, but I feel like something else is going on. It's tough to troubleshoot when I can't sit down in front of it.

Do you have another computer you could hook the modem up to, and see if you can issue AT commands to it?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:49 pm It's possible the modem itself is defective, but I feel like something else is going on. It's tough to troubleshoot when I can't sit down in front of it.

Do you have another computer you could hook the modem up to, and see if you can issue AT commands to it?
I have tried on a Mac and on PC so far, I may have to give Linux a shot. I thought it might be the modem too, but it is being read by the Rooter interface, just can't connect for whatever reason. I do have a second modem card I can try tomorrow..if I am getting the same results, I wonder if it could be the router itself.

thanks again.

to be continued I suppose :lol:
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

thebranman wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:07 pm I have tried on a Mac and on PC so far, I may have to give Linux a shot. I thought it might be the modem too, but it is being read by the Rooter interface, just can't connect for whatever reason. I do have a second modem card I can try tomorrow..if I am getting the same results, I wonder if it could be the router itself.

thanks again.

to be continued I suppose :lol:
Good luck, and let me know what happens.

Regardless, don't give up, keep trying. You will figure out what the issue is, as long as you don't quit :)
RussWestrem
Has thanked: 0

Post by RussWestrem »

Turn off connection monitoring to stop the modem from trying to reconnect. Then reboot the router then you will be able to issue commands.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

RussWestrem wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:37 pm Turn off connection monitoring to stop the modem from trying to reconnect. Then reboot the router then you will be able to issue commands.
excellent suggestion! I recall thebranman had mentioned that, but didn't put two and two together.

Once you do that, you should be able to put the modem MBIM mode, and get it to finally connect.

I personally wouldn't recommend using connection monitoring until you are using the connection all the time, and even then not make it to aggressive.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:21 am Good luck, and let me know what happens.

Regardless, don't give up, keep trying. You will figure out what the issue is, as long as you don't quit :)
Hello once again...I've continued to try and have at least been successful in getting to MBIM mode. Not sure how or why, but it allows me to do AT Commands finally. I start out with at!entercnd="A710" before inputting the next command as well.

However, my initial results with at!gstatus? and at!lteinfo aren't promising. I also tried at+cgdcont=1,"IP”,”broadband” to no avail:

at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 346 Temperature: 29
Reset Counter: 3 Mode: LOW POWER MODE
OK
----
at!lteinfo
!LTEINFO:
Not Available
----
at+cgdcont=1,"IP”,”broadband”
ERROR
----
AT+CPMS="SM"
+CPMS: 0,30,0,30,0,30
OK
----
at+cgdcont=?
+CGDCONT: (1-24),"IP",,,(0-2),(0-4),(0-1),(0-1)
+CGDCONT: (1-24),"PPP",,,(0-2),(0-4),(0-1),(0-1)
+CGDCONT: (1-24),"IPV6",,,(0-2),(0-4),(0-1),(0-1)
+CGDCONT: (1-24),"IPV4V6",,,(0-2),(0-4),(0-1),(0-1)
OK

I can't really "read" this code yet since I am so new to it, but it seems like there isn't any signal at all. My connections are properly snug and nothing is loose. Can you make anything of it? I have an AT&T sim card, never been used and it is being read correctly by the router, so the SIM is not the issue.

I'm off to get a multimeter tomorrow to test my LMR400 cables and terminations, but I don't think there are any errors there as I've done crimping before and have correct tools.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: WG3526 connection problems - no signal, AT!GSTATUS? fails

Post by JimHelms »

Which firmware and what build version are you using?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:19 pm Which firmware and what build version are you using?
Hi Jim -

I installed from a tutorial you had posted:
Powered by LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.210.69179-6df9a57) / GoldenOrb_2018-09-02

I used re-installed OEM Firmware then did the GoldenOrb reflash. Is this correct? Thanks for your help :D
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Yes, give me a few minutes and I will work you up a game plan.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:16 pm Yes, give me a few minutes and I will work you up a game plan.
thank you sir! I was about to give up hope for the 2nd time :)
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I find it sometimes best in these situations to start over.

1. Go to MODEM > CONNECTION PROFILE > CONNECTION MONITORING and DISABLE. SAVE & APPLY.

2. Remove your SIM Card.

3. Restore the MC7455 to OEM Status. Go to MODEM > MISCELLANEOUS > AT-COMMAND TERMINAL and enter the following commands:

Code: Select all

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!RMARESET=1
AT!RESET
4. Restore the router to default setting. Go to SYSTEM > BACKUP / FLASH FIRMWARE > ACTIONS > RESET TO DEFAULT

5. After the router comes back on line, pull the power and wait a minute or two and re-power the router.

6. When back on line, go to MODEM > CONNECTION PROFILE > GENERAL > APN and enter broadband. SAVE & APPLY.

7. Go to SYSTEM > SYSTEM > LOCAL TIME > SYNC WITH BROWSER and then Set TIMEZONE.

8. Unplug router, insert SIM Card and power back on router.

9. Assuming you have adequate signals and your SIM is installed correctly, you should connect.

10. If you are not connecting, first check to see it is reading the SIM Card:

AT+CPIN?
If it returns anything other than READY, power the router off and re-seat the SIM CARD and try again.

11. If you are still not connecting, run these commands and post the results of each one:

AT!LTEINFO
AT!GSTATUS?
Also, when posting the results of the output or code, highlight the code and hit the </> button. That will place it in a readable format.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Also, when posting the results of the output or code, highlight the code and hit the </> button. That will place it in a readable format.
thank you so much Jim, I will go through all that and see what I come up with.

Also, sorry about the code highlight...now I know :lol: have a great night
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Not a problem. Hope all goes well.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

alrighty I'm back...

I tried all the above you mentioned and I am stuck with the same results. It must be an antenna/signal issue? I double checked the orientation to make sure they were at right angles, and A-OK there. As I mentioned, I am getting a multimeter soon so I can check the cables running from router-to-antennas to make sure they were crimped properly.

I didn't think range would be a factor, as I've read people can get signals several miles away. The closest tower to me is AT&T, and it is LOS visible to me about 2 miles away. There is a secondary AT&T tower a little further but not much.

After the reset etc. here were my results:

AT!RMARESET=1
!RMARESET: DEVICE REBOOT REQUIRED

Items Restored:  2222
Items Deleted:   18
Items Skipped:   4

OK
After this, I did the reset function and followed your instructions then ran:
at!entercnd="A710"

AT+CPIN? to make sure the SIM was being read. All of the IMEI, phone # attached to the SIM showed up normally as well on one of the diag screens.

AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: READY

OK
AT!LTEINFO

AT!LTEINFO
!LTEINFO: 
Not Available

OK
AT!GSTATUS?

AT!GSTATUS?
!GSTATUS: 
Current Time:  280		Temperature: 22
Reset Counter: 1		Mode:        LOW POWER MODE 

OK

Thanks again for your assistance!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Have you checked to make sure the U.FL connectors have not popped off the MC7455 connector ports, and that they are connected to the MAIN and AUX ports?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:27 pm Have you checked to make sure the U.FL connectors have not popped off the MC7455 connector ports, and that they are connected to the MAIN and AUX ports?
yep, I checked those twice :? 2nd time I actually disconnected and reconnected just to be sure..same results unfortunately
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

For some reason, it appears you are not picking up a signal. This generally points towards the antennas or coax or connectors.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I see you are using external antennas. How are they connected the router's SMA connectors?

Just wanted to make sure the connector type matches. SMA and RP-SMA look the same but the center pins are different and are not interchangeable and will cause this type of issue.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:46 pm I see you are using external antennas. How are they connected the router's SMA connectors?

Just wanted to make sure the connector type matches. SMA and RP-SMA look the same but the center pins are different and are not interchangeable and will cause this type of issue.
Hi Jim -

I am using SMA connectors that I purchased from Air802. I know there are a lot of garbage products on the market from ebay etc. but these appeared to be high quality. The LMR400 cable is from Altelix...i'll have to test the cables next and get back to you. Thanks again for helping
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

thebranman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:22 am Hi Jim -

I am using SMA connectors that I purchased from Air802. I know there are a lot of garbage products on the market from ebay etc. but these appeared to be high quality. The LMR400 cable is from Altelix...i'll have to test the cables next and get back to you. Thanks again for helping
do you not have any little omnis you can directly connect to the modem to test with?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

One other task that you may want to perform to assure the router firmware is actually programming the MC7455 is to program it manually.

at!entercnd="A710"
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009
at!selrat=06
at+cfun=1
at+cgdcont=1,"ipv4v6","broadband"
at!custom="IPV6ENABLE",1
at!reset
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

swwifty wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:23 am do you not have any little omnis you can directly connect to the modem to test with?
Hi Swwifty, I have 2 small omnis but I figured the range was too great for those (2 miles+) to have anything show up. I guess I could give it a go with Jim's recent post. Will report back soon
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:38 am One other task that you may want to perform to assure the router firmware is actually programming the MC7455 is to program it manually.

at!entercnd="A710"
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009
at!selrat=06
at+cfun=1
at!custom="IPV6ENABLE",1
at!reset
Ok will do, thanks again...I'll report back after testing this and with the multimeter
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

thebranman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:50 am Hi Swwifty, I have 2 small omnis but I figured the range was too great for those (2 miles+) to have anything show up. I guess I could give it a go with Jim's recent post. Will report back soon
They will work, the signal strength just won't be as good as if you had them outside, or outside antennas.

For example, the tower I use is 5 miles away non-line of sight, and I can use 3dbi omnis just fine.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

thebranman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:50 am Hi Swwifty, I have 2 small omnis but I figured the range was too great for those (2 miles+) to have anything show up.
I agree this should be tried. May have to relocate the router to the highest position possible and with the least obstructions (i.e., walls, electronics, etc) between the router and the tower.
I guess I could give it a go with Jim's recent post. Will report back soon
Hopefully, it will be this simple to correct.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

As for the difference in the SMA connector vs the RP-SMA connector:

SMA vs RP-SMA Connectors 2.png
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

Hi again, I ran through those new commands you listed:

at!entercnd="A710"
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009
at!selrat=06
at+cfun=1
at!custom="IPV6ENABLE",1
at!reset
and was showing "ok" on all until:

at+cfun=1
+CME ERROR: operation not supported
I tried it with the small omnis swwifty mentioned as well, and got the same results for LTEinfo and gstatus:

AT!LTEINFO
!LTEINFO: 
Not Available
and

AT!GSTATUS?
!GSTATUS: 
Current Time:  280		Temperature: 22

OK
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

This could be a firmware issue. Have you tried flashing the Generic firmware on the MC7455?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:36 am This could be a firmware issue. Have you tried flashing the Generic firmware on the MC7455?
hi again Jim - I've tried so many different things, I'm pretty sure I've done the generic firmware. I've been trying to scour the Wireless Joint support site for other articles to try and troubleshoot on my own, but I'm not seeing anything along the lines of what im experiencing :?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

So you are saying that you did reflash the firmware on the MC7455? You would need a USB to Mini PCI-e adapter to flash the Sierra Wireless generic firmware.

You would also have to remove the MC7455 from the router to flash--or at least that would be the easiest method.

Where did you get your MC7455?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:08 am So you are saying that you did reflash the firmware on the MC7455? You would need a USB to Mini PCI-e adapter to flash the Sierra Wireless generic firmware.

You would also have to remove the MC7455 from the router to flash--or at least that would be the easiest method.

Where did you get your MC7455?
From the sound of it, no I guess I have not done that yet...I'll have to put an adapter on order and try that out. Thanks for the recommendation!

I got the mc7455 from a reputable electronics reseller..it was used, but tested to work properly.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

thebranman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:25 am From the sound of it, no I guess I have not done that yet...I'll have to put an adapter on order and try that out. Thanks for the recommendation!
The modems inability to accept an AT+CFUN=1 is a good sign it may be modem related.

Hopefully, it can be corrected by flashing with the latest Sierra Wireless Generic firmware.
I got the mc7455 from a reputable electronics reseller..it was used, but tested to work properly.
There is always a gamble when buying used modems or any equipment for that matter.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:47 am
Hopefully, it can be corrected by flashing with the latest Sierra Wireless Generic firmware.
Hello again, after several months I finally had the courage to try again. I purchased the USB adapter in order to connect the modem directly to the computer. I ended up having the same issues as this user.

I downloaded the most recent Generic firmware, followed all instructions and even followed the Tool Kit posted in here, and keep getting "The connection for the USB device 'Sierra Wireless MC7455-CP' was unsuccessful. Driver Error." when I run connect through HT then try to install the firmware. I have tried variations of everything I have found posted on Wireless Joint to no success.

I really don't know where else to turn, as I've literally tried everything at this point and about ready to sell all the equipment I bought. Very depressing. Thanks for any help you can offer
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Hmm... The MC7455-CP is a modem out of a Cradlepoint LP6 modem and/or router.

It has a special software package and TAC number, but otherwise it is fully programmable and may be flashed with the Sierra Wireless generic firmware--just like an OEM MC7455.

The other user you referenced was experiencing a slightly different issue.

It is always possible the modem is defective, but it is hard to say without testing it. Did you ever contact the seller?

If you want to reach out to us on the store (using the contact form), we will see if we can help get you up and running.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:32 pm Hmm... The MC7455-CP is a modem out of a Cradlepoint LP6 modem and/or router.

It has a special software package and TAC number, but otherwise it is fully programmable and may be flashed with the Sierra Wireless generic firmware--just like an OEM MC7455.

The other user you referenced was experiencing a slightly different issue.

It is always possible the modem is defective, but it is hard to say without testing it. Did you ever contact the seller?

If you want to reach out to us on the store (using the contact form), we will see if we can help get you up and running.
Hi Jim thanks for responding.

Here are my ATI results in the HT:

Recieve: ATI
Recieve: Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Recieve: Model: MC7455
Recieve: Revision: SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00 r6691 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 2016/06/30 10:54:05
Recieve: MEID: ----- omitted
Recieve: IMEI: ----- omitted
Recieve: IMEI SV:  6
Recieve: FSN: ----- omitted
Recieve: +GCAP: +CGSM
Recieve: OK
I cannot for the life of me get the modem to reflash to the generic firmware. I feel like once I can get past that hurdle, the rest should fall into place. As mentioned, I followed the Tool Kit, and a few other posts that I found with a similar issue. When I run the installer, it starts to go, then I run into the error "The connection for the USB device 'Sierra Wireless MC7455-CP' was unsuccessful. Driver Error."
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

What happens when you plug the modem and adapter into the PC and run the Sierra Wireless software drivers for Windows?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:54 am What happens when you plug the modem and adapter into the PC and run the Sierra Wireless software drivers for Windows?
It will install the drivers fine, and during it will say that COM was installed successfully as well. I then do the reset commands, reboot, and try to install the generic firmware go to check ATI and it is still showing an old 2016 firmware:

Recieve: ATI
Recieve: Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Recieve: Model: MC7455
Recieve: Revision: SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00 r6691 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 2016/06/30 10:54:05
Also, this is my result when trying to install the generic firmware. It states I still have some Verizon version on there, despite doing several resets and reboots (after each command). I have internet connection connected and the usb device definitely does work
Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.20.31.png

thank you for the assistance.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

When you say you have internet connected, are you allowing Windows to manage the Modem and connect to the internet?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:17 pm When you say you have internet connected, are you allowing Windows to manage the Modem and connect to the internet?
from the error screenshot, it appears that an error connecting to network and downloading...I haven't seen any settings in other posts that state a necessary settings adjustment in Windows during this stage.

I mentioned I have internet connected, because loading websites works but when I install the generic driver, that pictured network error and driver error pops up "The connection for the USB device 'Sierra Wireless MC7455-CP' was unsuccessful. Driver Error."

Is there a windows setting I need to enable or disable?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Hmm... Let me rephrase my question. Do you have the MC7455 plugged into the Windows PC (with a SIM Card), and allowing the MC7455 to connect to the internet via Windows?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:43 pm Hmm... Let me rephrase my question. Do you have the MC7455 plugged into the Windows PC (with a SIM Card), and allowing the MC7455 to connect to the internet via Windows?
yes, sorry for the confusion :D
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

That may be part of your problem. We have discussed allowing Windows to control a modem on previous posts:

MEMBER: I am not sure about other Windows versions, but Windows 10 64Bit, if you have the MC7455 drivers installed in a USB adapter with everything running fine while connected to a ROOter, then connect to a Windows 10 PC, it switches the COM ports to a USB Connection of some kind, switching from #8MBIM + COM Ports to #9 MBIM only, which then will not work.

JIM: By default, Windows 7 uses QMI composition while Windows 8 and 10 uses MBIM. While using the Sierra Wireless generic driver software for Windows (allowing Windows to communicate with the modem) does not generally create an issue, I have noticed certain instances and programs (i.e., Sierra Wireless Skylight Manager) that place the modem in an undesirable composition with no Modem com port. This seems to be happening more often and I am really not sure why.
The first thing you need to do is remove the SIM Card where Windows cannot connect to the internet. You do not want Windows to 'Manage" your modem.

Next, remove/unplug the modem and adapter, and uninstall all Sierra Wireless software and products.

You may then be able to plug your modem and adapter back in (without the SIM Card) and install the Sierra Wireless software drivers for Windows--without Windows trying to take control.

Hopefully, you can then install the generic firmware.

If not, you will need to change the composition of the modem.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:57 pm That may be part of your problem. We have discussed allowing Windows to control a modem on previous posts:

The first thing you need to do is remove the SIM Card where Windows cannot connect to the internet. You do not want Windows to 'Manage" your modem.

Next, remove/unplug the modem and adapter, and uninstall all Sierra Wireless software and products.

You may then be able to plug your modem and adapter back in (without the SIM Card) and install the Sierra Wireless software drivers for Windows--without Windows trying to take control.

Hopefully, you can then install the generic firmware.

If not, you will need to change the composition of the modem.
many thanks, I will try this back and hope for better results. I had read another post where someone mentioned they got their issue to work when they let windows connect 'naturally'...I guess that must have been a lucky resolve, or something else was changed, to allow that to work for them.

appreciate your efforts though, hopefully I can get this to go my way this evening. :mrgreen:
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

unfortunately I'm still getting the same driver issues, despite uninstalling/flashing/reflashing etc. and it's still showing a Verizon build. I made sure it was done in MBIM composition as well.

I think I'm done with this stuff and will have to get satellite internet unfortunately...I've spent days worth of hours going through all the numerous posts and instructions and I feel like I'm just going in circles at this point.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I know it can be frustrating--for all of us.

But, before I spent the funds on satellite internet, I would purchase a new OEM MC7455 and be done with it.

As I also mentioned before, if you want to ship your modem to us and pay shipping costs, we will see if we can get it up and running for you--at no cost--but with no guarantees.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 pm I know it can be frustrating--for all of us.

But, before I spent the funds on satellite internet, I would purchase a new OEM MC7455 and be done with it.

As I also mentioned before, if you want to ship your modem to us and pay shipping costs, we will see if we can get it up and running for you--at no cost--but with no guarantees.
Thank you Jim, really appreciate it. I will send a PM for details
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Received your modem today and looks like you are in luck.

Firmware Upgraded to Generic.png

MC7455 Pref Generic Firmware.png
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I would also highly recommend to NOT plug the MC7455 into your Window's PC.

Install it inside the router and you will be good to go.
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm I would also highly recommend to NOT plug the MC7455 into your Window's PC.

Install it inside the router and you will be good to go.
Hi Jim -

I received the modem last week, thank you so much for assisting with the generic firmware on there!!

I re-installed the modem into the router, and it actually worked for a brief 30 minutes or so. When it stopped working I ran another Gstatus command to see if there was an issue and it would only show the Low Power mode result. I have read other users experience some initial success, then it stops working suddenly.

Should I do anything specific with the router or router firmware in order to calibrate to the generic firmware that was put on the modem? There are so many variants of troubleshooting that I found in post history and do not want to screw up/reverse the work that you helped me with and put a non-compatible firmware on there. I already checked APN settings and all that on router and everything is still there.

Many thanks!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

The generic firmware on the modem is the correct one for a MC7455 modem--regardless on the other packages.

Can you copy and paste the GSTATUS output?
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 pm The generic firmware on the modem is the correct one for a MC7455 modem--regardless on the other packages.

Can you copy and paste the GSTATUS output?
Hi Jim -

I am using AT&T carrier, so 'broadband' is my APN field.

at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS: 
Current Time:  1689		Temperature: 29
I found this IMPREF command and ran it, only to find Verizon in the carrier info. Not sure why, considering the sim is AT&T. It's stranger still considering the router/modem worked great for about 30 minutes over the weekend after I installed the modem, and I hadn't changed any settings. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the SIM was activated in my old ipad air that was once used on Verizon...but like I mentioned, it is an AT&T sim.

at!IMPREF?
!IMPREF: 
 preferred fw version:    02.05.07.00
 preferred carrier name:  VERIZON
 preferred config name:   VERIZON_002.008_002
 current fw version:      02.30.03.00
 current carrier name:    VERIZON
 current config name:     VERIZON_002.008_002

fw version mismatch

OK
When I looked at the Connection Log when the modem was initially working properly, it said successfully connected in the log. Now it just shows this:

Thu Aug 16 08:41:56 2018 : Attempting to Connect Modem #1 (Sierra_Wireless,_Incorporated MC7455-CP)
And here is the router overview, just in case:
Hostname WiFiX
Model WiFiX Router
Architecture MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3
Firmware Version GoldenOrb_2019-03-10
Kernel Version 4.14.63

Thanks!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

That is pretty strange.

The MC7455 contains four different carrier firmware but not sure why it automatically changed from Generic to Verizon.

This can be tested with this AT Command:

AT!IMAGE?
Try swapping the preferred Carrier to Generic.

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!IMPREF="GENERIC"
AT!RESET
thebranman

Post by thebranman »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:04 pm That is pretty strange.
Indeed...here are my results:

AT!IMAGE?
TYPE SLOT STATUS LRU FAILURES UNIQUE_ID   BUILD_ID
FW   1    GOOD   2   0 0      ?_?         02.30.03.00_?
FW   2    GOOD   1   0 0      ?_?         02.26.01.00_?
FW   3    GOOD   1   0 0      ?_?         02.14.03.02_?
FW   4    GOOD   127 0 0      ?_?         02.20.03.22_?
Max FW images: 4
Active FW image is at slot 255

TYPE SLOT STATUS LRU FAILURES UNIQUE_ID   BUILD_ID
PRI  FF   GOOD   0   0 0      002.009_000 02.08.02.00_ATT
PRI  FF   GOOD   0   0 0      002.007_000 02.08.02.00_GENERIC
PRI  FF   GOOD   0   0 0      002.012_000 02.14.03.02_SPRINT
PRI  FF   GOOD   0   0 0      002.008_002 02.05.07.00_VERIZON
Max PRI images: 50

OK
and finally:

AT!IMPREF="GENERIC"