New to forum. Currently using a mofi4500

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Riggs1989

New to forum. Currently using a mofi4500

Post by Riggs1989 »

Hey everyone!

I’ve stumbled on this forum several times and finally decided I should create an account. We moved out of town about 10 miles and as soon as you leave town you’ll lose cell service.

The only thing any of the neighbors in the area had was satellite internet. I’ve never had satellite internet nor did I want to get setup as everyone seemed to complain about it.

After several months of trying cell boosters we finally found that a mofi4500 and a couple Yagi antennas got us connected to the internet again. I’ve now learned that there may be better stuff out the though. My current setup is going to be moved soon and mounted onto our new house. So I’d like to learn a little more about different equipment I could use.

I’ve only read a little about raspberry pi, mc7455 modem. And PoE. I currently have the mofi4500 with 2 700 MHz Yagi antennas connected with 25 feet on LMR400 cable. I don’t quite like this setup because I don’t want to run both those cables into my house when I do move it. I’d rather be able to connect my homes router with an Ethernet cable coming from a modem inside a weather proof box mounted on the outside of the house.

If anyone has time to school me it would be greatly appreciated. I’m decent with figuring things out and using a computer.

Thank 😀
Didneywhorl

Re: New to forum. Currently using a mofi4500

Post by Didneywhorl »

Welcome!

Check this post I replied to. Not the exact same, but I wrote a lot.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=1178

Im about to head off to bed. Ask as many questions as you like. Ill do my best to help when I get time.

There's TONS of cool options that can help you out.
SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

Post by SliverGT »

I started with a Mofi4500 and 50ft of LMR400. Had problems with random disconnects, terrible customer service. Upgraded to a Raspberry Pi3 and EM7565 POE with 10ft cables and it's faster and way more reliable. swwifty did a great write up on it.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=123
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

Hey thanks guys. Forum seems to be pretty active. I must say I was surprised to have a couple reply’s on my first post. I have read quite a bit about swwifty and his write ups.

I’d be way stoked if I could get some better performance out of my internet. We very around 6-20 mbps DL depending on the time of day.

I run Verizon SIM cards on an unlimited plan that has 15gb of hotspot data. As long as I have TTL set at 64 I haven’t had any issues throttling.

I’m looking to get a setup that will give my good results as I plan to do a few different locations. I want something that gives me the best quality for cost. I’m not really sure if there are different manufacturers for all the different equipment or not. So suggestions on stuff would be great.

Silvergt correct me if I’m wrong but the diff on a MC7455 and your EM7565 is yours supports gigabit. Is there any other performance you can get out of it. I’m pretty sure the network around here couldn’t reach 100mbps. But I’d be happy to get 20-30 more consistently.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Riggs1989 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:24 pm I currently have the mofi4500 with 2 700 MHz Yagi antennas connected with 25 feet on LMR400 cable. I don’t quite like this setup because I don’t want to run both those cables into my house when I do move it. I’d rather be able to connect my homes router with an Ethernet cable coming from a modem inside a weather proof box mounted on the outside of the house.
Hello,
Say that you have two 700 mhz yagi meaning that is the only frequency they get? If so you could help your self allot by getting some wide band antenna that help you get more range and will help getting higher frequency faster bands. As well as getting Carrier Aggregation.
Also with the power over Ethernet isn't has bad as it first seems. Was always intimidated by it read swiftys post over and over. You can also opt to get a POE setup using what equipment you have already with out going the pi route. Here are some photos of a set up I did by looking at swiftys post.
In the below photo those are two log periodic wide band antennas. If weight isn't a concern on your set up the panel type wide band antenna work better in my experience in rural areas.
IMG_20200412_151149236_HDR.jpg
This is a WE826 router with a MC7455 modem just like your mofi basically. Have the wifi turned off on it and using as just a modem basically. Then have a convential router inside the house that emits the wifi signal.
IMG_20191231_152625516.jpg
Hope this might help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

gscheb wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 am Hello,
Say that you have two 700 mhz yagi meaning that is the only frequency they get? If so you could help your self allot by getting some wide band antenna that help you get more range and will help getting higher frequency faster bands. As well as getting Carrier Aggregation.
Also with the power over Ethernet isn't has bad as it first seems. Was always intimidated by it read swiftys post over and over. You can also opt to get a POE setup using what equipment you have already with out going the pi route. Here are some photos of a set up I did by looking at swiftys post.
In the below photo those are two log periodic wide band antennas. If weight isn't a concern on your set up the panel type wide band antenna work better in my experience in rural areas.
IMG_20200412_151149236_HDR.jpg
This is a WE826 router with a MC7455 modem just like your mofi basically. Have the wifi turned off on it and using as just a modem basically. Then have a convential router inside the house that emits the wifi signal.
IMG_20191231_152625516.jpg

Hope this might help
Hey.
Ya the 2 antennas I have are from Zda communications. I believe they are 16dbi 746-806mhz. They are pretty long. When I try them out in an area that has some kind of cell service I do end up picking up other bands. But for where my house is and where I think the closer tower is I’m traveling roughly 10 miles through forest and mountain ranges.

For your PoE does the Ethernet cable coming from your home router supply the power for your WE826?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Riggs1989 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:13 am Hey.
Ya the 2 antennas I have are from Zda communications. I believe they are 16dbi 746-806mhz. They are pretty long. When I try them out in an area that has some kind of cell service I do end up picking up other bands. But for where my house is and where I think the closer tower is I’m traveling roughly 10 miles through forest and mountain ranges.

For your PoE does the Ethernet cable coming from your home router supply the power for your WE826?
Wow if it really is 10 miles that is pretty far. All of the set ups I have done have been in the 5 mile range in a rural area. Might want to consider different service if you it means you can get a closer tower.

Technically the poe ethernet cable comes from the poe injector. One side of the injector is ethernet power out and the other side is just ethernet to the home router. So on this set up only have one ethernet wire running out of the house to the enclosure. After it goes thru the enclosure it goes into the poe splitter which supplies power to non-poe devices.
Here is a diagram that might make it clearer.
On the left is the home router and the poe injector inside the home. The wire that goes from the poe injector to the poe splitter is the wire that travels outside. Then on the right of the diagram would be the poe splitter and mofi inside the closure.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

Gscheb.

Yeah Verizon has seemed to be the best place around here. And don’t really wanna switch as I’m getting my line for $20.

I was a little confused on the poe. I didn’t know I needed an injector and a splitter but I guess that makes sense.
SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

Post by SliverGT »

Riggs1989 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:33 pm Silvergt correct me if I’m wrong but the diff on a MC7455 and your EM7565 is yours supports gigabit. Is there any other performance you can get out of it. I’m pretty sure the network around here couldn’t reach 100mbps. But I’d be happy to get 20-30 more consistently.
The difference between 1Gbps and 100Mbps is the router in the Mofi vs Rpi3.
The 7565 is a Cat-12 modem and supports B66. The 7455 is a Cat-6 modem and doesn't support B66.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Think he would need to update those antennas to try to get Band 66. He has those 700 yagis.
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

Yeah idk if band 66 is even in my area yet. The fastest my phone speeds have been in town with full bars is around 60 mbps
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Riggs1989 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:33 pm Silvergt correct me if I’m wrong but the diff on a MC7455 and your EM7565 is yours supports gigabit. Is there any other performance you can get out of it. I’m pretty sure the network around here couldn’t reach 100mbps. But I’d be happy to get 20-30 more consistently.
The MC7455 modem is cat6 rated at 300Mbps max. I've been able to get just over 100Mbps with mine.
The EM7565 modem is cat12 rated at 600Mbps. I'm sure it can do at least 300 to 400 Mbps in an LTE router.

The WE826 router has 10base100 eth ports and I've only been able to get close to 85-90Mbps through them from a modem.

The Raspberry pi 3 B+ has a gigabit eth port technically, but it uses a USB2.0 serial bus. Max speeds through its interfaces is reported to be less than 300Mbps. 490Mbps is max usb2 bus speeds, on paper, but in reality it loses speed as it steps through the hardware. That isnt bad, though, for $35!

For the price of the mofi you can build a significant setup.

I love antennas as the central focus. Wideband seems best for anyone who just wants it to work. They are typically lower gain than specialized narrow band antenbae, but they are simple. I prefer flat panel antennas as they seem to be more forgiving than logs and yagis; not that the logs or yagis are terribly difficult. Flat panels do tend to cost more for quality though.

A solid simple build is usually a zbt wg3526 router with any cat12 modem (Sierra em7565, em7511, Quectel EM12) installed in a usb3.0 to ngff m.2 key B adapter plugged into the wg3526's usb port. Using r00ter/Goldenorb firmware, you can get generally simple modem device comparability for your router.

PoE can be accomplished using a PoE injector at the indoors end like this one:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/power-adapter/p ... -1-5a-72w/

Best one Ive been able to find (at 48v). If your poe device only accepts 24v poe, theres 24v poe injectors as well. Very important.

Then, if your device isnt a poe device, you can use a splitter rated for your devices input. Like this one:https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/poe-splitters/4 ... -splitter/
The 2.1mm tip will plug into most routers. This one is for 12vdc input devices, and acts like its power supply, then the eth cable plugs into your routers eth port. The ones on thewirelesshaven.com are gigabit rated, not all are.

On and on and on

Hit enter on this 4 hours ago! Lol, never posted. Now Im late ;)
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:48 pm
The MC7455 modem is cat6 rated at 300Mbps max. I've been able to get just over 100Mbps with mine.
The EM7565 modem is cat12 rated at 600Mbps. I'm sure it can do at least 300 to 400 Mbps in an LTE router.

The WE826 router has 10base100 eth ports and I've only been able to get close to 85-90Mbps through them from a modem.

The Raspberry pi 3 B+ has a gigabit eth port technically, but it uses a USB2.0 serial bus. Max speeds through its interfaces is reported to be less than 300Mbps. 490Mbps is max usb2 bus speeds, on paper, but in reality it loses speed as it steps through the hardware. That isnt bad, though, for $35!

For the price of the mofi you can build a significant setup.

I love antennas as the central focus. Wideband seems best for anyone who just wants it to work. They are typically lower gain than specialized narrow band antenbae, but they are simple. I prefer flat panel antennas as they seem to be more forgiving than logs and yagis; not that the logs or yagis are terribly difficult. Flat panels do tend to cost more for quality though.

A solid simple build is usually a zbt wg3526 router with any cat12 modem (Sierra em7565, em7511, Quectel EM12) installed in a usb3.0 to ngff m.2 key B adapter plugged into the wg3526's usb port. Using r00ter/Goldenorb firmware, you can get generally simple modem device comparability for your router.

PoE can be accomplished using a PoE injector at the indoors end like this one:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/power-adapter/p ... -1-5a-72w/

Best one Ive been able to find (at 48v). If your poe device only accepts 24v poe, theres 24v poe injectors as well. Very important.

Then, if your device isnt a poe device, you can use a splitter rated for your devices input. Like this one:https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/poe-splitters/4 ... -splitter/
The 2.1mm tip will plug into most routers. This one is for 12vdc input devices, and acts like its power supply, then the eth cable plugs into your routers eth port. The ones on thewirelesshaven.com are gigabit rated, not all are.

On and on and on

Hit enter on this 4 hours ago! Lol, never posted. Now Im late ;)
Didneyworl thanks for all that info. I’ve been trying to understand a lot of it. I must say I started getting lost.

I have a few places I need to setup. My house, my moms and my brothers. So I’d like to figure out what I would need to by for each place. Antennas I have figured out. It’s the device part I’ll need help with.

My place will be worst for speed cuz where I live, but my moms and brothers live close to town so I know they can do pretty good speeds. Somewhere around 40-maybe 50 mobs download. With that being said idk if I need anything that can handle gigabit.

All three places I would like to have short a run as possible to the antennas with an outdoor box containing all the equipment. That way I can do like others have said and use PoE and have a router inside the homes.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Gigabit routers arent really much more, and the modems aren't really either. Its a sort of future proofing.

There's tons of options to build.
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

Yeah. A newb like myself can get lost very easily trying to set something up with all the different options out there. This mofi I got was pretty easy I just thought I could do something better which led me to this site.

Swwifty has a thread about his 4G setup. And what he has going on on the outside of his place is what I’d like to have going.

You said “A solid simple build is usually a zbt wg3526 router with any cat12 modem (Sierra em7565, em7511, Quectel EM12) installed in a usb3.0 to ngff m.2 key B adapter plugged into the wg3526's usb port. Using r00ter/Goldenorb firmware, you can get generally simple modem device comparability for your router”
I looked up that router and it looks like something I’d have inside the house correct? Sorry for being new to this I’m just kinda having a hard time imagining something like that router hooked up to my 700 yagis somehow to get internet.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

No worries.

So yeah, the WG3526 can just sit on your shelf inside.

The Modem, Like a Quectel EM12 would need to be installed in the router, then a pair of special antenna cables would plug onto the modem and go out to each end of the routers case, where the antenna cables for your yagis could just screw onto these connectors. Configure the settings for your carrier, basically like the MOFI, and pop in the SIM. It's just about that easy.

If it is overwhelming, I can offer to build the base setup for you; OR, of course, we'd be more than happy to explain all the steps, on here.
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 pm No worries.

So yeah, the WG3526 can just sit on your shelf inside.

The Modem, Like a Quectel EM12 would need to be installed in the router, then a pair of special antenna cables would plug onto the modem and go out to each end of the routers case, where the antenna cables for your yagis could just screw onto these connectors. Configure the settings for your carrier, basically like the MOFI, and pop in the SIM. It's just about that easy.

If it is overwhelming, I can offer to build the base setup for you; OR, of course, we'd be more than happy to explain all the steps, on here.
Ok I think it finally hit me that time. And I think I’m starting to understand some things that I was having a hard time with before. I really appreciate your patience with me on this.

I think what you’re saying with that router is I’ll be running 2 LMR400 cables from the modem (that is inside the router) going to my external antennas.

My thought is to have my yagis at the peak of my roof with roughly 5’ of cable running to a modem. Is it possible to still use that router or is this where a raspberry pi would come into play?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Nah, no rpi needed. You can def mount the router up there.
lordrylen
Been thanked: 0

Post by lordrylen »

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am in a very similar situation. I am in the process of moving into the country and my only option is high-priced, super slow bridged internet... I'm not doing it. Before I stumbled upon this site, I purchased a Mofi4500 sim 7 thinking it would solve all my problems. In addition, I purchased a LRM400 and an antenna. I am still within the 30 day return of my Mofi, so I plan on returning it unless I am missing something.

I am willing to do the work myself, but I am lost when it comes to getting all these pieces to work together.

Could you answer these questions for me?

Router: WG3526 (or similar)
Question: Why do we need a modem? This device has a sim slot, could this not act as an all-in-one similar to the Mofi?
Question: The WG3526 has a pci-e slot inside of it. Do we need the USB adapter?

Modem: EM12 (or similar)
Question: I am not sure why this device is useful. Perhaps it has faster download/upload speeds?
Question: There is not sim slot. Does it use the sim slot and antennas from the router?

Antenna: Wideband Directional Antenna and LRM400 Coax
Question: Can I use these with the devices above or will I need new ones?

Cellular Provider: Verizon (Unlimited iPad)
Question: Can I use this or should I go a different route? Verizon is the best in the area as far as I know.

Ultimately, I want to replace my coax modem (from the old house) and feed my switch with an LTE modem.

Thanks for the help!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am I don't mean to hijack this thread
Could you answer these questions for me?

Router: WG3526 (or similar)
Question: Why do we need a modem? This device has a sim slot, could this not act as an all-in-one similar to the Mofi?
The LTE routers are simply routers that have some form of interface to add a modem, that is necessary to connect to the internet service providers services. The routers have a SIM slot because the modems do not have them. Think of a cell phone as an example. Your phone is basically a special router. The modem is just a chip that is soldered onto the phones mainboard, the phone also has a SIM slot. The LTE routers function similarly.
lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am Question: The WG3526 has a pci-e slot inside of it. Do we need the USB adapter?
The USB adapter is not necessary for the WG3526 unless we are being picky and want access to the higher speed usb3.0 serial bus, which is only accessible via the USB port on the front of the router. For newer modem modules you will need an mpcie to m.2 key B adapter, as most of the newer modems only come in m.2 key B form factor, vs the older mpcie.
lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am Modem: EM12 (or similar)
Question: I am not sure why this device is useful. Perhaps it has faster download/upload speeds?
So the EM12 is a category 12 LTE modem module. The category essentially outlines the modems general capability, the higher the category number the faster it can be and more features it has, including the number of cellular bands it supports; to be relatively simple. :)

To compare:
---The Quectel EM12 is a category 12 modem. I have personally gotten an EM12 modem to top out at nearly 300Mbps Downlink speed.

---The modem in the MOFI 4500 V7 is a Category 4 modem. It is a Quectel EC25-AF and is "Rated" for speeds up to 150Mbps. I think you'll be lucky to get 50Mbps from that modem.

---I've only been able to get 100Mbps out of the modem that comes in the SIM4 model, the Sierra Wireless MC7455, which is cat6 and is rated for speeds up to 300Mbps. I used the exact same antenna setup for the 100Mbps test out of the MC7455 as I did getting 300Mbps out of the EM12. The modems are just that much more capable. Though, your cell site coverage and speed capabilities will vary; though I wish cells sites were more homogeneous across the nation.
lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am Question: There is not sim slot. Does it use the sim slot and antennas from the router?
The SIM slot is either in the router or the USB adapter, depending on your use, no modem carries a SIM slot. The antenna wiring comes directly from ports on the modem and typically go to a connector "bulkhead" installed into the routers case. You can then attach antennas directly to the bulkhead connectors.
lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am Antenna: Wideband Directional Antenna and LRM400 Coax
Question: Can I use these with the devices above or will I need new ones?
You can hook the coax directly to the LTE antenna connectors, mentioned above, on the case of the router and use your antennas. Sometimes you need connector adapters, but it's not hard to get figured out.
lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am Cellular Provider: Verizon (Unlimited iPad)
Question: Can I use this or should I go a different route? Verizon is the best in the area as far as I know.
Verizon is a tough nut. They aren't very nice to us in this regard, they scan the IMEI number of the device and know exactly what modem you are using, and typically they don't like LTE modems and classify them as hotspot devices. There are many who have figured out workarounds, but I am not one who has used Verizon. The modems, like the ones we use all the time, can be used with any carrier, so you don't need a particular modem for a particular carrier, they can be swapped at will .... as long as the carrier either doesn't know or is nice about it. Future Note*** It's not advised to call their customer service and tell them you've made an LTE router and want to use their SIM for it. They don't like it. :) The less they know the easier it is.
lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 am Ultimately, I want to replace my coax modem (from the old house) and feed my switch with an LTE modem.

Thanks for the help!
We all started somewhere just like that, welcome to the journey!

Hope I didn't overlook anything :)
lordrylen

Post by lordrylen »

Didneywhorl, thank you for your reply. I hope you don't mind a few more follow-up questions. Your answers were exceptional by the way.

Question: I'm not married to the idea of Verizon, but I'm not sure how to test coverage in the area. Do you know of a way to check the coverage of an area?

Question: Am I correct thinking I should return my Mofi? Given it's a lower Cat, I can spend that money and theoretically get a better setup?

Question: Do most people turn off the WiFi capability of the LTE router and use a different AP?

Question: If you had to design a setup today. What components would you use to create it?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm Didneywhorl, thank you for your reply. I hope you don't mind a few more follow-up questions. Your answers were exceptional by the way.

Question: I'm not married to the idea of Verizon, but I'm not sure how to test coverage in the area. Do you know of a way to check the coverage of an area?
No problem! 8-)

Cellmapper is a popular app to use. You may need to download the app onto a Verizon, or whatever carrier you have, then run the app and drive around your area for a few days, then upload all the data it collects, its easy. THEN the cellmapper maps will have a better data set to show. It's not perfect, but its a start.

There are services for surveying your cell service site as well. I know a guy that can do it AND I think thewirelesshaven.com has the service listed as well.
lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm Question: Am I correct thinking I should return my Mofi? Given it's a lower Cat, I can spend that money and theoretically get a better setup?
That's up to you. Its not a very capable device and the cost is mostly for the customized firmware. I hear their customer service hasn't been the best for many people. No experience myself.
lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm Question: Do most people turn off the WiFi capability of the LTE router and use a different AP?
Yes. The Wifi on most of these Chinese made "LTE Router"s tend to have terrible wifi performance. Part of the issue is the generic firmware that is openWRT has more support for the modems in the r00ter/Goldenorb version and simply generic drivers for the wifi. I use a Ubiquiti nano AP access point. Its fantastic.

I also use a separate router as a central point for my WAN routers. I go deeper than some ;)
lordrylen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm Question: If you had to design a setup today. What components would you use to create it?
My base favorite configuration right now is the WG3526P router (Poe version) with an upgraded power supply, a Quectel EM20G modem installed into a USB30 to m.2 key b adapter, that is plugged into the front usb port on the wg3526 router. The antenna ports on the modem are wired to what are called antena pigtails that convert the modems mhf4 style connectors to either type N female bulkead connectors (Bulkhead connectors are what you use to mount the connector to the routers case or an enclosure that you would use outdoors) or an SMA female bulkhead connector. The SMA connector is for installing on the actual routers original case, the Type N would be if I want to install the setup into an outdoor enclosure.
I then would use low loss 50Ohm coax cables to hook from the SMA or type N connectors, to the new The Wireless Haven Quad flat panel 4x mimo 8dbi gain wideband antenna that would be pointed to my nearest or best cell tower. The flat panel antennas seem to be more forgiving for directional antennas vs the yagi type, and you are covered with full 4x MIMO since you have all 4 antenna ports on the modem being used.

You asked :lol: :lol:

Links to all that good stuff...

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-routers/wg3526-p/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H ... TF8&psc=1
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-n ... ard-slot/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel ... -modem-2/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/pigtail ... r-cables/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/antenna ... l-cables/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lt ... nnectors/
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 pm My base favorite configuration right now is the WG3526P router (Poe version) with an upgraded power supply, a Quectel EM20G modem installed into a USB30 to m.2 key b adapter, that is plugged into the front usb port on the wg3526 router. The antenna ports on the modem are wired to what are called antena pigtails that convert the modems mhf4 style connectors to either type N female bulkead connectors (Bulkhead connectors are what you use to mount the connector to the routers case or an enclosure that you would use outdoors) or an SMA female bulkhead connector. The SMA connector is for installing on the actual routers original case, the Type N would be if I want to install the setup into an outdoor enclosure.
I then would use low loss 50Ohm coax cables to hook from the SMA or type N connectors, to the new The Wireless Haven Quad flat panel 4x mimo 8dbi gain wideband antenna that would be pointed to my nearest or best cell tower. The flat panel antennas seem to be more forgiving for directional antennas vs the yagi type, and you are covered with full 4x MIMO since you have all 4 antenna ports on the modem being used.
Hello Didneywhorl,
Been using t-mobile with bands 2 & 12 with Quectel ep06 in a we826. Not doing bad with it at all. Never upgraded modems since can't get anymore more carrier aggregation than 2 & 12. Have band 71 but getting a modem that puts those three together does not seem like it is worth the cost of it.
So just seen this post you put about the 4x4 mimo with the Quectel EM20.
Did you go from using 2x2 mimo to useing 4x4 mimo?
If so is there allot of gain out of doing that? (going from 2x2 to 4x4)
Maybe this is the way I could improve my system?
Thanks for any advice see you allot in the same posts as I.
lawnmowerman

Post by lawnmowerman »

Riggs1989 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:33 pm I run Verizon SIM cards on an unlimited plan that has 15gb of hotspot data. As long as I have TTL set at 64 I haven’t had any issues throttling.
Hey there! I've got the same setup as you - pair of yagi antennas, mofi 4500, using Verizon. But I'm running into an issue using my Verizon sim card...

I have a Jetpack on the jetpack unlimited plan, which gets throttled after hitting the data cap. When I put that sim in the mofi, it got throttled as soon as I hit 30 gb, which didn't take long! I tried setting the TTL to 64 but that didn't work.

I also have a phone with Verizon Get More Unlimited plan. I tried putting that sim card in mofi, but the internet light stayed dark and when I put my sim card back in my phone, cellular data was not activated on it.

Which plan are you using? Is it a phone sim card you swapped out?
lordrylen

Post by lordrylen »

Didneywhorl,
I believe we’ve made a breakthrough. The components you listed are ones I also compiled! Eureka! Of course, more questions if you don’t mind.

Question: What function does the router play in this puzzle? If the USB to m.2 adapter has a sim slot and SMA connectors, I can’t figure out why it’s needed. Is it DHCP or the only way to convert traffic to ethernet? If this is true, are there not cheaper alternatives? The idea of a Raspberry Pi intrigues me. As you stated earlier in this thread, USB 2.0... but I have one laying around that I could use.

Question: How much difference do LMR200 cables make versus LMR400?

Question: Gosh, that antenna is more than the modem... but theoretically I could use 4 yagis in place of the one you recommended?

Question: Can I find you on the Facebook page?

Question: Can you check my list and let me know if I’m over looking something?

Modem: EM20G (probably overkill but hopefully future-proof)
Adapter: USB to m.2 with sim and enclosure
Router: Raspberry Pi (for now)
Antenna: Yagi(s) or 4x4 MIMO

You've been an immense help and I greatly appreciate it.
lordrylen

Post by lordrylen »

lawnmowerman wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:46 pm Hey there! I've got the same setup as you - pair of yagi antennas, mofi 4500, using Verizon. But I'm running into an issue using my Verizon sim card...

I have a Jetpack on the jetpack unlimited plan, which gets throttled after hitting the data cap. When I put that sim in the mofi, it got throttled as soon as I hit 30 gb, which didn't take long! I tried setting the TTL to 64 but that didn't work.

I also have a phone with Verizon Get More Unlimited plan. I tried putting that sim card in mofi, but the internet light stayed dark and when I put my sim card back in my phone, cellular data was not activated on it.

This is the exact situation I am in. I don't think we have much flexibility within the Mofi or Verizon... The $20/month price is what makes that setup so appealing. I've also hit the cap and tried to fiddle with settings to no avail. It's ultimately why I am looking to build my own setup and look for additional carriers.
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

lawnmowerman wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:46 pm Hey there! I've got the same setup as you - pair of yagi antennas, mofi 4500, using Verizon. But I'm running into an issue using my Verizon sim card...

I’m using a tablet line from Verizon. My plan is an older one. I think it’s called the new unlimited plan. Device has unlimited data and there is 15gb of hotspot data.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Here is a link to a calculator for cables.
https://www.timesmicrowave.com/Calculator
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

gscheb wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:58 pm Hello Didneywhorl,
Been using t-mobile with bands 2 & 12 with Quectel ep06 in a we826. Not doing bad with it at all. Never upgraded modems since can't get anymore more carrier aggregation than 2 & 12. Have band 71 but getting a modem that puts those three together does not seem like it is worth the cost of it.
So just seen this post you put about the 4x4 mimo with the Quectel EM20.
Did you go from using 2x2 mimo to useing 4x4 mimo?
If so is there allot of gain out of doing that? (going from 2x2 to 4x4)
Maybe this is the way I could improve my system?
Thanks for any advice see you allot in the same posts as I.

Short answer: Absolutely 4x mimo solidified my higher speeds.

Long Answer:
So.... the answer depends on a lot of factors really. I've found, in testing, that it's not as simple as, 'did going from 2x mimo to 4x mimo make a big difference?' Here's why it isn't so simple in my case.
1. Usually going from 2x to 4x means updating the modem as well, which in turn has more efficient protocols and usaully a faster chip overall.
2. For me, I can use an em12 with a 2x mimo flat panel in a nexg h721 router, or the wg3526, and get around 300Mbps DL in tests. This isnt much, if any, less than my em20 on quad mimo, via 2 dual mimo flat panels. You see I am maxing out my tower, or more likely I'm being throttled to those speeds max.

So for me, does going from a cat 12 quectel with only 2x mimo to a cat20 4x mimo modem give gains worth the money? You would think, no. In my opinion? yes.

You see at some point 5G will expand just like 3G, then 4G, then 4G LTE, then 4G LTE-A did before 5G was a thing you could access. The networks WILL expand and open up bandwidth to devices with access. I am future proofed for only a hundred or two more dollars (strictly modem speaking). Unfortunately for my bank account, it's never good enough though, LOL!

If you truly want to save a hundred bucks, the EM12G is a very capable modem, but it is limited to 2x mimo.

I'm going to be running tests on these subjects when I get time,. My upgrade story was I went with a WG3526 with a Sierra MC7455 inside, 2x mimo flat panel 15dbi antenna. I was able to consistently test 100Mbps. Two years later I upgraded to an EM20G modem and added a second narrow band 2x mimo flat panel and immediately got over 300Mbps in tests. ONE time, only once, I think 4xCA kicked in and I watched it crawl up to 388Mbps. Never able to do it since.

My biggest thing is ... you never know! Do it!

I like to ramble :)
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

lordrylen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 pm ...
Question: What function does the router play in this puzzle? If the USB to m.2 adapter has a sim slot and SMA connectors, I can’t figure out why it’s needed. Is it DHCP or the only way to convert traffic to ethernet? If this is true, are there not cheaper alternatives? The idea of a Raspberry Pi intrigues me. As you stated earlier in this thread, USB 2.0... but I have one laying around that I could use.
The router tells the traffic where to go, and gives the traffic a way to get there.

Raspberry pis are cool, but I've yet to see a convincing configuration that does better than most good routers. Worth trying. They make images for the pi3
lordrylen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 pm Question: How much difference do LMR200 cables make versus LMR400?
I cant answer that with experience or knowledge, short answer though is it has less signal loss per foot of cable.
lordrylen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 pm Question: Gosh, that antenna is more than the modem... but theoretically I could use 4 yagis in place of the one you recommended?
They are, and they also hold their value over time. You could use 4 yagis, and have a hell of a time tuning each individual antenna. I think people have a great amount of success with yagis, I think others do not. The yagis seem to bee less forgiving with their signal optimization. They also tend to not be as powerful, though the marketing on them says otherwise. I just prefer the panels.
lordrylen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 pm Question: Can I find you on the Facebook page?
Yes, Richard Jones. I'm on a lot. You can also PM me if you like.
lordrylen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 pm Question: Can you check my list and let me know if I’m over looking something?

Modem: EM20G (probably overkill but hopefully future-proof)
Adapter: USB to m.2 with sim and enclosure
Router: Raspberry Pi (for now)
Antenna: Yagi(s) or 4x4 MIMO

You've been an immense help and I greatly appreciate it.
Don't forget antenna pigtails to go from the modem to the case of the adapter (mhf4 to SMA bulkhead female). The M.2 adapter comes with 2, you will need 2 more. Also, don't forget to get cables that will connect from the adapter housing to the yagis; the connectors may be different types.

Rpi3 seems to be the popular one for rooter right now. I think Rpi4 images will come later this year. https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/firmware16.html

Anytime!
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:53 pm If you truly want to save a hundred bucks, the EM12G is a very capable modem, but it is limited to 2x mimo.

My upgrade story was I went with a WG3526 with a Sierra MC7455 inside, 2x mimo flat panel 15dbi antenna. I was able to consistently test 100Mbps. Two years later I upgraded to an EM20G modem and added a second narrow band 2x mimo flat panel and immediately got over 300Mbps in tests. ONE time, only once, I think 4xCA kicked in and I watched it crawl up to 388Mbps.
So when you updated to the EM20G do you think the increase was due to extra Carrier aggregation?
Reason I ask is that isn't an option for me now more bands to aggregate.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

So when you updated to the EM20G do you think the increase was due to extra Carrier aggregation?
I don't think so, not directly. My MC7455 did 2xCA and only got 100Mbps. My EM20G does only 3xCA and can get over 300Mbps. Now it could be as simple as the extra 2x mimo channels AND the extra 1xCA created the speeds, but ... :shrug: I think the modem is just more efficient and capable. I think it can do even more, but the towers manage our speeds to some degree.
Reason I ask is that isn't an option for me now more bands to aggregate.
My unit only aggregates Band 41. so 41x41x41 on 3xCA
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:45 pm I don't think so, not directly. My MC7455 did 2xCA and only got 100Mbps. My EM20G does only 3xCA and can get over 300Mbps. Now it could be as simple as the extra 2x mimo channels AND the extra 1xCA created the speeds, but ... :shrug: I think the modem is just more efficient and capable. I think it can do even more, but the towers manage our speeds to some degree.

My unit only aggregates Band 41. so 41x41x41 on 3xCA
Well that is great. Never seen intraband carrier aggregation before. My modem says it possible but have never seen it.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Some modems have a command that tells you the possible CA combos it can do
lawnmowerman

Post by lawnmowerman »

lordrylen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:26 pm This is the exact situation I am in. I don't think we have much flexibility within the Mofi or Verizon... The $20/month price is what makes that setup so appealing. I've also hit the cap and tried to fiddle with settings to no avail. It's ultimately why I am looking to build my own setup and look for additional carriers.
Ah ok. Well let me know what you end up with, maybe I can try the same! Thanks!
Riggs1989 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:38 pm I’m using a tablet line from Verizon. My plan is an older one. I think it’s called the new unlimited plan. Device has unlimited data and there is 15gb of hotspot data.
Got it, thanks for letting me know. I looked up current data-only tablet plans for Verizon, their prices are ridiculous... There's a 100 GB plan, which would be great, except it's $710 per month! :roll:
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Wanted to add that I currently have a Quectel EP06 modem and can get my Verizon phone sim to work on it. Have tried it several times in Sierra wireless mc7455 never worked.
But has worked in both quectel modem I tried EP06 & EC25-AF.
Now this was just for a moment for fun to see if it worked or not.
Don't have any long term experience doing this.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 pm My base favorite configuration right now is the WG3526P router (Poe version) with an upgraded power supply, a Quectel EM20G modem installed into a USB30 to m.2 key b adapter, that is plugged into the front usb port on the wg3526 router. The antenna ports on the modem are wired to what are called antena pigtails that convert the modems mhf4 style connectors to either type N female bulkead connectors (Bulkhead connectors are what you use to mount the connector to the routers case or an enclosure that you would use outdoors) or an SMA female bulkhead connector. The SMA connector is for installing on the actual routers original case, the Type N would be if I want to install the setup into an outdoor enclosure.

Why?: a Quectel EM20G modem installed into a USB30 to m.2 key b adapter, that is plugged into the front usb port on the wg3526 router.

Is this better than modem inside the router?

My set up is in the attic powered by Poe. Can one Poe line be split and power the adapter and router?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

gscheb wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 pm Why?: a Quectel EM20G modem installed into a USB30 to m.2 key b adapter, that is plugged into the front usb port on the wg3526 router.

Is this better than modem inside the router?

My set up is in the attic powered by Poe. Can one Poe line be split and power the adapter and router?
The internal mpcie slot on the wg3526, and every other LTE router Ive found so far, is attached to the USB2.0 serial bus. So even if you have a high speed usb 3.0 device, it will be "limited" to practical usb2.0 speeds. The USB3 to m.2 (or mpcie) adapter enclosure does not step the modem down to a slower bus, and the usb port on the front of the WG3526 is a true USB3 serial bus, as marked by being blue instead of black.

In practice, Ive never exceeded the usb2.0 speeds, (though I think I have gotten close) but Im just that way. If theres a faster tech, I want it.

Ive used the mpcie to m.2 adapter board in the wg3526. It works well, but I dont want the restriction.

Splitting hairs I guess.

Splitting poe is possible, but the only thing Ive found that works well, gets too hot. Real hot.

I run mine via poe, and havent needed to use the aux power input on the usb3 adapter enclosure. :shrug:
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:53 pm I run mine via poe, and havent needed to use the aux power input on the usb3 adapter enclosure.
So the enclosure don't need power then?
Also you said you are using the Poe wg3526 version. If you have a Poe splitter it is the same result right?
Thanks
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

gscheb wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 am So the enclosure don't need power then?
Also you said you are using the Poe wg3526 version. If you have a Poe splitter it is the same result right?
Thanks
Needed to work? No, but sometimes if your modem randomly reboots, then its usually because the routers usb isnt supplying enough power. This is common with raspberry pi. In that case you will need the aux power input to the enclosure.

A good quality splitter should work just as well as the units power supply.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 pm My base favorite configuration right now is the WG3526P router (Poe version) with an upgraded power supply, a Quectel EM20G modem installed into a USB30 to m.2 key b adapter, that is plugged into the front usb port on the wg3526 router
Hello again Didneywhorl,
Crazy question time!
Since already have a we826 and don't use the wifi, it is disabled in the attic. Can I take the wifi antennas out and replace them with 4g antennas. Then use the adapter card to install a em20-g modem. Know that the lan ports are a limitation with this thing.
You talked about using enclosure to feed internet into usb port on a router. Can it go in reverse? Can I get internet out of the usb port on the we826? Like use a ethernet to usb adapter to feed internet down to my house router.
If this is possible you have small enclosure with the rooter firmware loaded all in one device.
Is this possible?
Is this crazy?
Thanks for continuing to answer questions.
Have some experience setting up these systems for myself and others. But always used we826 with lower cat modems with u.fl connectors. Like quectel ec25-af, ep06 & sierra wireless mc7455.
So basically this is just a little out of my comfort zone.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Fun time ;)
gscheb wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm .... Can I take the wifi antennas out and replace them with 4g antennas. ...
Nope, those pigs are soldered to the we826 board. But you could try to fit 2 more on the case cover facing upwards. Odd to put a $250 modem in a $60 router though ;) Go for it! :p
gscheb wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm You talked about using enclosure to feed internet into usb port on a router. Can it go in reverse? Can I get internet out of the usb port on the we826? Like use a ethernet to usb adapter to feed internet down to my house router.
If this is possible you have small enclosure with the rooter firmware loaded all in one device.
Is this possible?
Dont think so, the usb to eth adapters need drivers to work, and rooter lacks support. I could be wrong, give it a go!
gscheb wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm Is this crazy?
Heck no! Try it all! :)
gscheb wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm Thanks for continuing to answer questions.
Have some experience setting up these systems for myself and others. But always used we826 with lower cat modems with u.fl connectors. Like quectel ec25-af, ep06 & sierra wireless mc7455.
So basically this is just a little out of my comfort zone.
Anytime! Were all a little uncomfortable with these things the first time we go about it.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:51 am Dont think so, the usb to eth adapters need drivers to work, and rooter lacks support. I could be wrong, give it a go!
Think this adapter idea is dead in the water. We826 has usb2 port. All the ethernet to USB 2 ports I have found are limited too 100 just like the lan ports so no point in it.
Did see some that where rated at 1000 adapters but always for USB 3.

Just didn't want to have a quality router like the wg3526 to be in a attic with wifi disabled. When all you really need is a modem box essentially.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Get a used netgear or something similar, thst has a usb3 port
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:58 pm Think this adapter idea is dead in the water. We826 has usb2 port. All the ethernet to USB 2 ports I have found are limited too 100 just like the lan ports so no point in it.
Did see some that where rated at 1000 adapters but always for USB 3.

Just didn't want to have a quality router like the wg3526 to be in a attic with wifi disabled. When all you really need is a modem box essentially.

If you don't want to sacrifice a WG3526 as a simple modem adapter, you could leave it inside your home to be used as your main WiFi router, and simply run a USB extension cable to the attic/roof where you would have the modem in an inexpensive USB enclosure such as
mPCIe > https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/mini-p ... card-slot/
M.2 > https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/

The idea is the reverse of extending the router's ethernet port, instead you would extend its usb port (they sell over 100 foot long active USB3 extension cables which also provides power to the modem in the enclosure). I made a post about this setup a while back here > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6607#p6607
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

ok i think i have came up with how i want to start putting together my setup. i'm just not sure if i'm getting everything i need or if i'm getting something that wont work. if anyone could help me with picking out what i need that would be great.

my plan is a:
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... 1-45-rj45/
Inside i would like to use a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with POE HAT. will i still need a POE splitter?
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/power-adapter/p ... w-gigabit/ Not sure if i need the injector or not.
Sierra EM7565. not sure which enclosure i need for this

Will the Pi allow me to get connected to the network or will i need to use a router inside the house. I plan on having a router but for some remote testing i just wanna have the antenna enclosure with my laptop.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

http://www.wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=564
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If you use a poe hat, you will not need a splitter, only a poe injector or switch port poe
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The pi3 will be your router, with Rooter installed on it directly
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

Sorry i've been gone for a bit.
Ive been learning more on all of this. I Just got my PI3 today and started playing with it. first time ive ever seen one. Thanks Didneywhorl for a lot of your help with this. i decided to go with a poe splitter instead of the poe hat. i read somewhere that someone had issues with one and i figure with a splitter i can use it on any device if i decide a PI is not the route i wanna go.

once i finally get everything put together for the build i'll post my results. hopefully everything goes smooth and i'm able to locate all the different components i need as last time i check on The Wireless Haven they weren't shipping anything.
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

I'm back and got some new equipment. I decided to not go with the RPi. Instead i ordered to WG3526-P Wifix versions. one with EP06-A and one with EM12G. Everything went smooth putting them together. A little issue trying to get them on the network using Verizon sim. I believe what cleared that up was clearing the APNs that the verizon sims load. I also enabled IPV6 ttl rules to be set on 64. seems to work the best for me after hitting a data limit.

First test with the EM12G in town with 100% signal and CSQ 31. It was using band 66 and aggregating with band 66. I was able to pull 60 down and 20 up several times. I figured everything was good to go. That was right on par with what my Iphone X does in town. So I installed it in my rural home setup and was able to connect pretty easily to band 13. The only issue I was having is the modem wouldn't aggregate with band 2. Exact same results with the EP06. If i swap it out with my mofi running a MC7455 it will aggregate with band 2 and band 13 as the main.

I decided to take the EM12G back into town to do some more testing. Now i've been having issues getting my dl speed up. Sometimes its ok but most of the time my ul speed is higher. Same signal stats and same band use. My phone will act normal continuing to pull 50-60 dl. So i'm not sure what the issue is. I'm quite new to using commands. I have been told quectel modems can be a pain when using verizon sims. I have also tried different sims. I would try a different provider but the only tower I can reach at my house is a verizon tower.

Any help with someone that has experience with these modems and verizon service would be greatly appreciated.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

Riggs1989 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:30 pm Any help with someone that has experience with these modems and verizon service would be greatly appreciated.
For Verizon connect issues with Quectel, check out my post http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1289&p=10593#p10327

I had similar experience when my tower wouldn't aggregate with B66+B13 but only B4+B13 so I took B4 off the list of available bands to connect. You could try to limit it to B2 and B13 with Quectel modem and see if it helps. Write down the default band configuration first before you change it. The command is

Code: Select all

AT+QCFG="band"
then to change it

AT+QCFG="band",0,1002,1
As for download speed issues, it seems like you were getting hit with deprioritization with the tower in town with that SIM.
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

Yipzy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:27 pm As for download speed issues, it seems like you were getting hit with deprioritization with the tower in town with that SIM.
Thanks. I’ve seen that post you quoted and tried that. The modem doesn’t seem to have much issue locking and aggregating with different bands. I still need to learn a little more on band locking these. As for the deprioritization my last test was with a fresh sim that hasn’t used much data for the month. I can’t remember if I was in mbim or qmi mode. Hopefully I’ll get to town in a few days and I’ll get some screen shots of what’s going on.
Riggs1989

Post by Riggs1989 »

Does anyone have a command list for band locking on Verizon bands and to change it back to all bands? I seen a post that had it for AT&T bands using band 12 but didn’t see anything for band 13.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

Riggs1989 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:26 pm Does anyone have a command list for band locking on Verizon bands and to change it back to all bands? I seen a post that had it for AT&T bands using band 12 but didn’t see anything for band 13.
I think this https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=943 is what you are looking for. When you type the first command I posted, it will respond with the default configuration. You then just need to type second command and replace the middle number 1002 with the long string with omitted 0x in between the commas you get from the first command to go back to the default configuration.
BigMac79

Post by BigMac79 »

Yipzy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:04 pm I think this https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=943 is what you are looking for. When you type the first command I posted, it will respond with the default configuration. You then just need to type second command and replace the middle number 1002 with the long string with omitted 0x in between the commas you get from the first command to go back to the default configuration.
Using WG3526 with E-12G I was able to successfully lock into band 13 using your spreadsheet which was my best band based on the numbers below. But now It's slower than it was before I band locked on 13. I tried changing it back to the OEM based on the instructions but now I get an "error". I've included below the response I received when running the AT+QCFG="band". I think I need to aggregate with 66 but when I run that it also returns an error. Any help with he appropriate code would be appreciated for either aggregation with 66 or returning to OEM.

System before band locking on 13
FBEBAA46-BDA0-48DC-B89D-9D8C653C2A27_4_5005_c.jpeg
After locking in on band 13:Command: AT+QCFG="band",0,1000
81957CAF-362C-415E-8210-73B891E7372A_4_5005_c.jpeg
Command: A+QCFG="band"
Results: +QCFG: "band",0x0,0x2000001e0bb1e39df,0x0
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

BigMac79 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:16 am Using WP3526 with E-12G I was able to successfully lock into band 13 using your spreadsheet which was my best band based on the numbers below. But now It's slower than it was before I band locked on 13. I tried changing it back to the OEM based on the instructions but now I get an "error". I've included below the response I received when running the AT+QCFG="band". I think I need to aggregate with 66 but when I run that it also returns an error. Any help with he appropriate code would be appreciated for either aggregation with 66 or returning to OEM.

System before band locking on 13

After locking in on band 13:Command: AT+QCFG="band",0,1000
81957CAF-362C-415E-8210-73B891E7372A_4_5005_c.jpeg

Command: A+QCFG="band"
Results: +QCFG: "band",0x0,0x2000001e0bb1e39df,0x0
Did you try

AT+QCFG="band",0,2000001e0bb1e39df,1
?
BigMac79

Post by BigMac79 »

I didn't try it by replacing the <0x0> with the <1>. Just did that and it accepted it. Thank you! This is all new to me so trying to figure it out. Really appreciate the quick response. Now to figure out how to aggregate 13 and 66 my best two bands and avoid 5 and 2.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

BigMac79 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:50 pm I didn't try it by replacing the <0x0> with the <1>. Just did that and it accepted it. Thank you! This is all new to me so trying to figure it out. Really appreciate the quick response. Now to figure out how to aggregate 13 and 66 my best two bands and avoid 5 and 2.
B13+B66

AT+QCFG="band",0,20000000000001000,1
B2+B13+B66

AT+QCFG="band",0,20000000000001002,1
B5+B13+B66

AT+QCFG="band",0,20000000000001010,1
B2+B5+B13+B66

AT+QCFG="band",0,20000000000001012,1
BigMac79

Post by BigMac79 »

Thanks again! So now just trying to understand the code (for my knowledge on how it works).
20000000000000000 = band 66
1000 = Band 13
2 = Band 2
10 = Band 5

So you literally combine them to get to the band you want

1000 + 2 = 1002 for Bands 13 and 2
1000 + 10 = 1010 for Bands 13 and 5
20000000000000000 + 1000 = 2000000000001000 for Bands 66 and 13
And always begin with <"band",0,> and end with <,1>
and so on depending on the band and it's associated number. Correct? if so, thank you for helping me understand this a bit more.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

BigMac79 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:39 pm So you literally combine them to get to the band you want
Correct. When it's 10 or greater, you need to put it in as a hexadecimal number. So 10=A, 11=B, and so on. It's why your default band configuration has letters.
BigMac79

Post by BigMac79 »

Yipzy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:30 pm Did you try

AT+QCFG="band",0,2000001e0bb1e39df,1
?
Every since I've ran this the modem will only lock onto Band 66 for some reason. Before as you could see in previous post it was constantly switching to 13, 2, 5 or 66. I seem to be getting deprioritized (it's not all the time that I'm throttled) now that I'm over 50gb of use and am wondering if it's due to only locking on band 66. It's even aggregating with the same band (see picture).
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

BigMac79 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:10 pm Every since I've ran this the modem will only lock onto Band 66 for some reason. Before as you could see in previous post it was constantly switching to 13, 2, 5 or 66. I seem to be getting deprioritized (it's not all the time that I'm throttled) now that I'm over 50gb of use and am wondering if it's due to only locking on band 66. It's even aggregating with the same band (see picture).
Your tower is likely congested. You should have your normal speeds after off-peak hours no? You could just test each band when you see slow down in speeds and if all bands provide the same result then you are being deprioritized and not cause by band locking any particular band. It's doing CA with 2 B66s is normal because your tower has them. If you are getting 600Kbps then your TTL isn't set right to bypass hotspot detection.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

One of those bands have 5 and the other 15 MHz. Is that normal with band 66?
Could that primary band 66 with only 5 mhz be not helping with speeds?
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

It's aggregating with another 15 Mhz so it shouldn't be only when it's not doing the CA so he just needs to test each band individually.
BigMac79

Post by BigMac79 »

Yipzy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:45 pm It's aggregating with another 15 Mhz so it shouldn't be only when it's not doing the CA so he just needs to test each band individually.
How do I go about testing each band individually? is it using the AT+QCFG="band",0,<band #>,1 and just insert each band individually?
BigMac79

Post by BigMac79 »

Yipzy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:39 pm Your tower is likely congested. You should have your normal speeds after off-peak hours no? You could just test each band when you see slow down in speeds and if all bands provide the same result then you are being deprioritized and not cause by band locking any particular band. It's doing CA with 2 B66s is normal because your tower has them. If you are getting 600Kbps then your TTL isn't set right to bypass hotspot detection.
Here are my DNS and TTL settings.
03AF1B0E-46E7-400C-AF68-E17838856CD4.jpeg
F57C7158-A282-47AE-84C8-30649B905B10_4_5005_c.jpeg
831EE061-CE0B-43C9-922C-84E6128EE8EA.jpeg
I did not notice this slow down until I went over 50GB and hotspot limit is 15GB. Coincidentally, right before this slow down started (+/- 1 day) I tried to lock into Band 13 as it was my better performing band but then reverted back to OEM settings. Since going back to those settings I have not seen anything other than Band 66 show up. Prior to this it was locking onto Bands 5, 13, 66 and CA with all of them throughout the day.

My speeds slow down in the early morning and late at night. Mid-Day like now I'm pulling 30mbps down and 8mbps up. But when it slows down it is below the 600kbps which made me think the same thing at first.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

BigMac79 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:55 pm My speeds slow down in the early morning and late at night. Mid-Day like now I'm pulling 30mbps down and 8mbps up. But when it slows down it is below the 600kbps which made me think the same thing at first.
Your settings are fine. This is the classic deprioritization. You can't really do anything except changing provider or force it to connect to another uncongested tower nearby if your modem supports it. You could manually band lock one by one band to see which band will let you have full speed but that is rarely the case if the whole tower is congested at certain time of the day but worth a try.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Yipzy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:45 pm It's aggregating with another 15 Mhz so it shouldn't be only when it's not doing the CA so he just needs to test each band individually.
I know in the past if my primary band is band 2 (15 mhz) CA with band 12 (5mhz). Speeds are allot faster if that scenario is switched around. That is what I am talking about.
BigMac79

Post by BigMac79 »

Yipzy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:11 pm Your settings are fine. This is the classic deprioritization. You can't really do anything except changing provider or force it to connect to another uncongested tower nearby if your modem supports it. You could manually band lock one by one band to see which band will let you have full speed but that is rarely the case if the whole tower is congested at certain time of the day but worth a try.
Thanks. I'll try doing this tonight when I get my typical slow down and see if it works. Still can't figure out why my EM-12G is no longer locking onto the other bands though.
BigMac79

Post by BigMac79 »

gscheb wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:11 pm I know in the past if my primary band is band 2 (15 mhz) CA with band 12 (5mhz). Speeds are allot faster if that scenario is switched around. That is what I am talking about.
I know how to select the bands I want but how do you tell it to pick one before the other (a primary and a CA one)?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BigMac79 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:19 pm I know how to select the bands I want but how do you tell it to pick one before the other (a primary and a CA one)?
Sorry don't think you can. And in your case with them being the same frequency and same band not sure it it matters or not. That kind of was my question to every one.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

gscheb wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:11 pm I know in the past if my primary band is band 2 (15 mhz) CA with band 12 (5mhz). Speeds are allot faster if that scenario is switched around. That is what I am talking about.
Oh. Yeah that is true but his speed is down to unusable which shouldn't do that unless deprioritized.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

BigMac79 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:19 pm I know how to select the bands I want but how do you tell it to pick one before the other (a primary and a CA one)?
Like gscheb said, you can't do that. Your modem will switch it around and normally it will set the higher bandwidth as the primary or you could try to restart the mode. Though you could force it to use CA if it's not doing it properly when it's connecting to B66 only by taking the B66 out of your band configuration. You just need to make sure the bands you want it to support CA are supported by the modem and also set with correct the band masks and that your tower allows your modem to CA those bands too.

Check my post here for CA Combos on EM12-G. https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 594#p10594
BigMac79

Post by BigMac79 »

Yipzy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 pmCheck my post here for CA Combos on EM12-G. https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 594#p10594
Thanks to both of you for that. Yipzy I checked that post but it's all for AT&T and mine is with Verizon. I still can't figure out why all the sudden it won't CA with the other bands B2, B5, B13 that it was before. I know the towers and the modem will do it because it was doing it before. Will the deprioritization make that happen?

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”