Router Bypass

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Mr. M
Has thanked: 0

Router Bypass

Post by Mr. M »

Hello All,

New to the forum and looking to purchase some get to get my LTE adventure started. I have been looking through many of the post and have found only a few threads on passing the connection to owned router\firewall. Has there been any updates that would allow GoldenOrb to function almost as a modem only (with TTL still being adjusted) then using my pfense box? Here is the post the kind of mirrors what I am looking to do but sounds like its not the ideal method.

http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=49
BillA

Re: Router Bypass

Post by BillA »

Mr. M wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:31 pm Hello All,

New to the forum and looking to purchase some get to get my LTE adventure started. I have been looking through many of the post and have found only a few threads on passing the connection to owned router\firewall. Has there been any updates that would allow GoldenOrb to function almost as a modem only (with TTL still being adjusted) then using my pfense box? Here is the post the kind of mirrors what I am looking to do but sounds like its not the ideal method.

http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=49

That post contains the general idea of bypassing the modem/router to be connected to a second router.
It's actually pretty simple, first you disable DHCP on the the modem/router, set its IP to 192.168.2.1/subnet 255.255.255.0, and DMZ turned on to bypass the modem/router's firewall (your second router has its own firewall on). Then on the second router set the WAN IP to 192.168.2.2/subnet 255.255.255.0 and LAN gateway IP to 192.168.1.1/subnet 255.255.255.0 with DHCP enabled in the range of 101-200.
That's one of the solutions, and Jim has mentioned that he might post a second solution.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

BillA has you covered.

If you want to also do the TTL mangles you have to do it in the firewall rules, so if you disable the WAN routers firewall, make sure you do the TTL rules on your internal router.
Mr. M

Post by Mr. M »

Sounds like a plan. The TTL on the internal router may be an issue as pfsense doesn't have a way to set it. Also, are most plans double nat?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

As far as I know, most cellular carriers have their own deal, cgnat, and then your router applies its own. So yes. Im no expert in it though. I could be wrong.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Mr. M wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:50 pm Sounds like a plan. The TTL on the internal router may be an issue as pfsense doesn't have a way to set it. Also, are most plans double nat?

Most carrier use their own private IP servers, and the only way to bypass it is by tunneling through via a remote VPN (not sure about PFsense). Another solution is using OpenMPTCP-Router for advanced users:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1078
Mr. M

Post by Mr. M »

May have to go the VPS route when I finally pull the trigger on some gear. Currently tethering my phone to a raspberry pi 3 and passing the connection through to my firewall. The firewall already is running a commercial VPN but on my Xbox (VPN bypassed) I have moderate NAT which is better than I expected. I will probably throw the Xbox back on the VPN and see how it looks.

Return to “General and Unclassified”