Looking for setup/hardware tips

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
ryanberry

Looking for setup/hardware tips

Post by ryanberry »

Hey there Wireless Joint. I have been researching what equipment would be needed to get a 4G LTE/5G capable home internet setup going. I'm very confused to say the least.

Insert obligatory "I have no other options for good internet" statement here.

Currently I am using a Galaxy S8+ as a personal hotspot and having good results, on T-Mobile I am getting ~20Mbps down. This is with the phone in a window. I'm now looking to get a more robust solution and to get my parents (same property, different buildings) in on the same system. At maximum usage it would probably have 5 devices connected via WiFi and a few through ethernet. With a max of 5 actual users, but typically 3-4. Mostly streaming TV and gaming. External antennas would be ideal, ones that could be placed in a tree/on a roof.

What I'm looking for is some consulting really. I would gladly pay to have someone tell me exactly what I need to buy. I can most likely figure out how to do setup, I just have no clue what is compatible with what. I was really close to pulling the trigger on Calyx Institute with their Contributor Plus tier of service, but I didn't like the portable nature of the hotspot they provide.

Any advice?

Thank you.
Didneywhorl

Re: Looking for setup/hardware tips

Post by Didneywhorl »

You caught me headed to bed. I'll get you my opinion in a good morning coffee fueled mindset kinda way.

Otherwise Ill be up another 30 mins trying to type, find links, etc
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Ok so I posted a long answer to basically the same question here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 7712#p7712 just now.

Ask any questions, don't worry about being lost. We all start somewhere.

We all can walk you through it, no problem.

I do build units for people as well, if it gets to be too much, or your time is limited.

Please use this forum to communicate but if you MUST direct message, send me an email:***Edit: Removed***
The DM/PM system is locked on this forum.
ryanberry

Post by ryanberry »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:26 am Ok so I posted a long answer to basically the same question here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 7712#p7712 just now.

Ask any questions, don't worry about...
Thanks so much, I really appreciate that! I'm still figuring out when I'm gonna pull the trigger on a setup. I will look into your posts details and maybe hit you up with some questions...

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”