What router should I get?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
lawnmowerman

What router should I get?

Post by lawnmowerman »

I live in rural area. Have Yagi outdoor 15 gain antenna pointed toward tower (blocked by hills, trees) five miles away. Get about 1 bar at corner of house where antenna is, band 13. No service anywhere else. Antenna picks up about -100 to -95 dBm max. With 100 gain booster, I can get about 4-8 mbps download on phone. Looking to swap out booster system for router (had no idea that was the better way to go!)... What router should I get? MoFi 4500 seems to be a popular one. Not looking to spend a ton more (booster and antennas already expensive) and want something simple.
gscheb

Re: What router should I get?

Post by gscheb »

Think you are talking about Verizon data? Believe the Mofi has issues with Verizon.
Mofi customer support is horrid and vile.
Believe with Verizon better to go with Quectel.
Also do you have a home router already?
happysurfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by happysurfer »

Hey

You should take a look at pepwave. They have a home router called the "surf soho mk3" it's less than 1/3 the cost of a pro model max transit series, (~$200USD vs $700USD). The surf can accept a USB LTE connection. Easy to use out of the box. Also you should get a bigger 30db gain antenna finances permitting. Another advantage of the surf is that it can connect to a wifi hotspot for an internet connection on 2.4/5Ghz. So you could connect it to your phone's hotpot for example. Ubiquiti makes some really cool "candlestick" APs as well - but I don't know if they have LTE equipment.
lawnmowerman

Post by lawnmowerman »

Yes, Verizon data. No, don’t have a home router already.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello again,
Just as a side note booster usually work great for cell phone use. Not so much for home data use. For home data use better off with antennas going right to the router or modem.
lawnmowerman

Post by lawnmowerman »

Thanks all for the advice! Yes, I’m seeing from my research that a router-to-antenna setup is probably better for internet than my current booster setup. I ended up ordering a mofi router and will see how it goes. My only worry is my signal from the antenna won’t be strong enough in the first place. I’m surrounded by hills and woods, and can’t get the antenna high enough to “see” over it all, and so they boosted signal is pretty weak. But only one way to find out!
ruralnet
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ruralnet »

Where can I find a 30db gain antenna?

The highest gains I’ve seen thus far are parabolic grids at 25-28 max, and always lower in the frequencies I need

Would love a 30! Appreciate the help
happysurfer wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 pm Also you should get a bigger 30db gain antenna finances permitting.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

ruralnet wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:51 am Where can I find a 30db gain antenna?

The highest gains I’ve seen thus far are parabolic grids at 25-28 max, and always lower in the frequencies I need

Would love a 30! Appreciate the help
I've never seen a 30dBi, and the Bolton Tech 26dBis must be made of solid gold, for the price of a single antenna.

Return to “General and Unclassified”