CBA850 - WAN IP based on location

Cradlepoint Router Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
iteration
Been thanked: 0

CBA850 - WAN IP based on location

Post by iteration »

Hi all, thank you to all the contributors, the information of this site is invaluable.

Problem: Random IPs assigned by AT&T give can change my ping from 45ms to 215ms.

My solution: I have found that I can switch between SIM 1 (AT&T) and SIM 2(AT&T) and I will get the dynamic IPs to cycle. This may only last as long as my connection or ip lease and I would like it to be more permanent.

Has anyone else tried playing with this configuration?
  • I have noticed that the GPS is never "FIXED" on the first connection after reboot: I seem to get a (more) local IP when it is "fixed" and I cycle the IPs. I don't see how to set/send a "static/fixed" location when the modem connects or if this even matters?
  • I also don't fully understand SMART WAN selection: Smart WAN selection has an option for latency, but the default value is 1000ms. If I set this down to 100ms am I asking for it to start bouncing randomly all the time?
Thank you in advance for any help. :)
Didneywhorl

Re: CBA850 - WAN IP based on location

Post by Didneywhorl »

Im purely guessing, but the 1000ms may be a threshold trigger.

Maybe setup a way to automate whatever you do manually that gets what you want?

Im not experienced with the cba, sorry.
BillA

Re: CBA850 - WAN IP based on location

Post by BillA »

iteration wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:21 am Hi all, thank you to all the contributors, the information of this site is invaluable.

Problem: Random IPs assigned by AT&T give can change my ping from 45ms to 215ms.

My solution: I have found that I can switch between SIM 1 (AT&T) and SIM 2(AT&T) and I will get the dynamic IPs to cycle. This may only last as long as my connection or ip lease and I would like it to be more permanent.

Has anyone else tried playing with this configuration?
  • I have noticed that the GPS is never "FIXED" on the first connection after reboot: I seem to get a (more) local IP when it is "fixed" and I cycle the IPs. I don't see how to set/send a "static/fixed" location when the modem connects or if this even matters?
  • I also don't fully understand SMART WAN selection: Smart WAN selection has an option for latency, but the default value is 1000ms. If I set this down to 100ms am I asking for it to start bouncing randomly all the time?
Thank you in advance for any help.

If you don't want to keep switching sim's, you might be able to grab a new IP by turning the modem off and on using a couple of AT command. Without knowing your specific modem you could try:

Code: Select all

AT+CFUN=0,1
wait a few seconds then
AT+CFUN=1,1
Wait a few seconds before trying your new connection/IP.
You can keep doing it till you get a good IP.

Return to “Cradlepoint Routers”