WG3526 WiFi Connection Issues

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
MadmanX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WG3526 WiFi Connection Issues

Post by MadmanX »

Hi,

I recently purchased a WG3526 and MC7455 from The Wireless Haven after considering a Mofi setup for use with AT&T prepaid unlimited data plan. I'm currently using the AT&T SIM with a Unite Explore and haven't had many issues except lack of WiFi range, which is why I'm changing the setup to the WG3526. My primary issues at this point are getting a reliable connection between my 2 laptops and the router. Direct connection via LAN works fine; however, when using Wifi, I'm experiencing packet loss/dropped packets and disconnections between the laptops and the router IP 192.168.1.1. So, the problems aren't lack of internet, but strickly Wi-fi related at this point. At time, I'm unable to get to the router conrfig screens either. I'm assuming this is a hardware or firmware issue since I can replicate it on two (actually three now that I think of it) laptops. I haven't experimented much with the 5.0 band since I plan to use the 2.4 band pretty much exclusively as I live out in the sticks and don't have others nearby. I'm currently running GoldenOrb_2018-07-24 ( OpenWrt 18.06.0-rc2 r7141-e4d0ee5af5 ), but have previously installed the 9/2 build and had the same issues. I've performed the items in the troubleshooting guide, but most of my issues aren't related to internet access, but wifi connection to the router. I also inspected the routers internals and there does not appear to be any damaged cables, connectors, etc. Everything looks good visually.

Appreciate any suggestions on how to fix, or maybe I need to RMA the router?

Thanks,

Jeff
swwifty

Re: WG3526 WiFi Connection Issues

Post by swwifty »

That's really odd. I used to have a Mofi 4500, and I experienced similar issues. I never was able to resolve them though.

Are you positive you don't have any interference on 2.4ghz? I would check the channel and make sure with whatever tools you have available. You'd be surprised even living in a rural area, how much junk is on 2.4ghz (Don't count yourself out, bluetooth, and all kinds of stuff inside your house are probably on 2.4ghz).
MadmanX

Post by MadmanX »

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll double check the channels in use. I have an app on my tablet that will do that. However, I’ve used other Asus and Netgear routers in the same setting without issue. I could see reduced throughout due to congestion on channels, but failure to be able to ping the router consistently would be something I’ve never experienced, especially at distances of 2-3 feet. I’ll report back with what I find out, but also welcome other input and suggestions.

Thanks!
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

MadmanX wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 am Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll double check the channels in use. I have an app on my tablet that will do that. However, I’ve used other Asus and Netgear routers in the same setting without issue. I could see reduced throughout due to congestion on channels, but failure to be able to ping the router consistently would be something I’ve never experienced, especially at distances of 2-3 feet. I’ll report back with what I find out, but also welcome other input and suggestions.

Thanks!
One other thing you could try is plugging a dedicated access point into the ethernet port, and using that instead? I know that requires more hardware, but if that resolves the issue you'll know where the problem lies.
bjames

Post by bjames »

I too had similar issues with the WG3526 WiFi. It was suggested that the issues arrived from installing the WiFiX version of GoldenOrb and did not uncheck the box to save settings.

It is common to uncheck the box, then browse to the GoldenOrb firmware to upload, and when returning to the flash menu, the box is once again checked. Leaving this box checked creates all sort of weird issues, to include the wifi issues you are having.

This is how I remedied the problem.

Download and reinstall the OEM firmware for the WG3526.

You will need to install it using the BOOT LOADER screen.

Once the OEM firmware is flashed, it was recommended to reflash a second time with the OEM to clear out any partitions.
Again, and ALWAYS assure that the save settings box is unchecked when flashing the firmware.

Then, download and flash the latest WiFiX version of GoldenOrb.

Be sure and read the text document accompanying the WiFiX firmware. It discusses issues with logging in to the UI as you mention.

Now, once the WiFix firmware is installed, enter your APN and get the router connected to the internet. But, before making any changes to the WiFi settings, log onto the wifi and test it.

Chances are your wifi issue is now resolved. Or, at least this worked for me.
MadmanX

Post by MadmanX »

Thanks for the detailed response! Although i did double check to ensure the box referenced above was unchecked prior to flashing, I'll repeat the steps in the order you provide above when I return home tonight. I also, at some point, got to the bootloader screen to flash one of the firmwares, since it was in Chinese, but as others stated, easy enough to figure out. I'd love to get this thing working reliably. I'm actually assembling it for a family friend who's not that computer literate, so I need to ensure it "just works" for them short of an occasional reboot of the router.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

bjames wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 am I too had similar issues with the WG3526 WiFi. It was suggested that the issues arrived from installing the WiFiX version of GoldenOrb and did not uncheck the box to save settings.

It is common to uncheck the box, then browse to the GoldenOrb firmware to upload, and when returning to the flash menu, the box is once again checked. Leaving this box checked creates all sort of weird issues, to include the wifi issues you are having.

This is how I remedied the problem.

Download and reinstall the OEM firmware for the WG3526.

You will need to install it using the BOOT LOADER screen.

Once the OEM firmware is flashed, it was recommended to reflash a second time with the OEM to clear out any partitions.
Again, and ALWAYS assure that the save settings box is unchecked when flashing the firmware.

Then, download and flash the latest WiFiX version of GoldenOrb.

Be sure and read the text document accompanying the WiFiX firmware. It discusses issues with logging in to the UI as you mention.

Now, once the WiFix firmware is installed, enter your APN and get the router connected to the internet. But, before making any changes to the WiFi settings, log onto the wifi and test it.

Chances are your wifi issue is now resolved. Or, at least this worked for me.
Hello,
Trying to use WG3526 WiFi and it doesn't work at all. Reloaded and didn't check the box for sure. Haven't reinstalled OEM first though like this says to do.
Is there a certain firmware I should use? Is there a certain way to set up the WiFi in the settings?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

gscheb wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:35 pm Hello,
Trying to use WG3526 WiFi and it doesn't work at all. Reloaded and didn't check the box for sure. Haven't reinstalled OEM first though like this says to do.
Is there a certain firmware I should use? Is there a certain way to set up the WiFi in the settings?
Define doesn't work at all? Is it not showing up on devices searching for wifi to connect to? ie the SSID isnt being broadcast? Or is it just not very fast? Is everything working fine via LAN just not on wifi?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well one of the WiFi are not even there. This should have 2.4 & 5. And one is like faintly there very weak signal. Barely registering on phone when right next to it.
bjames

Post by bjames »

gscheb wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:22 pm Well one of the WiFi are not even there. This should have 2.4 & 5. And one is like faintly there very weak signal. Barely registering on phone when right next to it.
I would be certain you are using the firmware for the WG3526 as opposed to the WE3526.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

Also, change the channel number to a different one and restart everytime. I had a lot of trouble with getting a 5Ghz channel number to stick and broadcast the wifi ID.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If the SSID is set the same, your device will likely only show the one it can use.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

bjames wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:14 am I would be certain you are using the firmware for the WG3526 as opposed to the WE3526.
Yes using wg3526 firmware. Is that wrong? That is the model it is.
IMG_20200913_012637768.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:37 am Yes using wg3526 firmware. Is that wrong? That is the model it is.
IMG_20200913_012637768.jpg

In order to diagnose your issue, set different 2G/5G WiFi names like "WiFi-2G" / "WiFi-5G" so you can pick them up separately on a test device (pc/tablet). If you set both to the same name, then only one name will show up on your test device, and it's more difficult to tell whether you're picking up the 2G or 5G signal.
The WG3526 and most other ZBT routers based on the MTK chipset have pretty flaky WiFi (especially 5G sometimes the light won't turn on), therefore you could connect another router/access point to one of its LAN ports to broadcast a more stable WiFi signal.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

gscheb wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:22 pm Well one of the WiFi are not even there. This should have 2.4 & 5. And one is like faintly there very weak signal. Barely registering on phone when right next to it.
I am not having any of these issues at all. As I stated in the other thread I am in a smaller house only 1500 sq ft so the longest run from router to a device is probably only about 70 feet max and a max of 1 to 2 walls to penetrate.I have used over 400gb this month and really not seen any issues I could say was wifi related.

Now a few things pop to mind:
1) on the weak signal have you checked the transmit power setting under wireless for both 5ghz and 2.4ghz (they are seperate). I would pick auto as a test as well as max power.
2) on the 2,4ghz stop binding channels and use ONLY 20mhz
3) give each a different SSID so you can test individfually and get us more information

Lastly if all else fails there is a new TEST build of rooter for our unit. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK but I have been running it for a few days with no issues at all.
https://c.tab.digital/s/5WS5wX4bE8xnwHt

As stated above wouldnt be a bad idea if you decide to try the test build to use bootloader mode to load it, that way you have a truly clean start, though to be honest i did a clean start and then restored my settings from a previous builds backup.

Also you can check the hardware... are the antennas screwed on tightly and inside the unit do the solder connections look solid?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

ok
Size of the house isn't the issue. With the WG3526 can be right there next to it and don't work at all.
None of the hardware looks damaged or anything like that.
Not sure of the firmware that I am using. Can update that sometime and see if it helps.
Thanks
Have you tried WE826 routers WiFi as well. Had issues with them as well. Every once in awhile would get one that was working then would go out after few months or so.
Mofi had long time ago would do the exact same thing.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I had a mofi for like 3 weeks, sim4, didnt like it and returned it, but also never had wifi issues with it either.

Now I will add I am really in the sticks, I cannot see another wifi network from my home at all. The next closest wifi is probably 1/2 mile away

Also will throw this in for what its worth:
Both the mofi and the WG3526 came directly from the vendor if that means anything. The wg3526 was shipped directly from zbt in china

The way you describe things it really sounds like a quality control issue and a hardware failure. Hopefully I either got lucky or just got one made al ittle better

Update: One last thought... Have you looked at the connection details on the reciving devices and seen what the link speed claims to be? My android phone for example which is one wall away and on 5ghz shows a 650 link speed
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

BillA wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:56 am In order to diagnose your issue, set different 2G/5G WiFi names like "WiFi-2G" / "WiFi-5G" so you can pick them up separately on a test device (pc/tablet). If you set both to the same name, then only one name will show up on your test device, and it's more difficult to tell whether you're picking up the 2G or 5G signal.
The WG3526 and most other ZBT routers based on the MTK chipset have pretty flaky WiFi (especially 5G sometimes the light won't turn on), therefore you could connect another router/access point to one of its LAN ports to broadcast a more stable WiFi signal.
What do you recommend as a cheap router to do this with? Maybe something like a tplink archer c6 or c7?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Flashed my wg3526 with the latest rooter firmware. Also renamed the WiFi so that wasn't the same. Seemed to work for the time tested it. Like for an hour or so.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello again,
Doing some more testing with WG3526 WiFi. It is definitely working now. Only issue is it isn't a stable source of speed. Run it once might be 22 down then again it might be 76 down.
My access point TP-link router will run about the same over and over.
Glad that got it to work though encase need to set up for someone else's house. I like using the access point so can test out different hardware and not be concerned with redoing the WiFi to every device in the house.

Return to “General and Unclassified”