Router and Modem Firmware Upgrades

Cradlepoint Router Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
A.Bursell

Router and Modem Firmware Upgrades

Post by A.Bursell »

Hello- I recently started using a CBA-850 and so far I am really impressed and like the equipment.

First question, I am on the recommended router firmware of 7.0.50 is there a reason not to go to .70 (last version before NetCloud requirement)? I am plenty happy to stick with the recommendation but would like to know what I would "lose" if anything.

Second question, the modem firmwares are all listed as current when I go into the admin page, however I can see on Sierra's website that there are newer versions. Is this just Cradlepoint being a little slow with offering the newer versions or is this also limited by not having NetCloud? If it would benefit me, can I manually update? I see an option but not sure if the files are readily available the same way I have just used the EXE files with my generic Sierra modems.

Thanks!
Didneywhorl

Re: Router and Modem Firmware Upgrades

Post by Didneywhorl »

Typically the updates are to ensure the device works with host devices and fix protocol problems, or the almighty "stability fixes" IE: We fixed stuff that takes big words to explain, so we say this. LOL!
I say if it aint broke....

But I fully understand your thought. I would leave it if it's working to your liking. I don't know of the specific differences between those firmware version. I'd prob just read the firmware update docs and decide from there.
A.Bursell

Re: Router and Modem Firmware Upgrades

Post by A.Bursell »

Thanks. Agreed - I read through the release notes and don't see anything earth shattering - just thinking there must have been some reason. But everything seems to be working great, so unless I see a reason to change, I'm going to leave it. Or, maybe upgrade the modems to the CAT18 they offer. Hmmm...

Still wondering about the modem firmware. The "current" firmware is available to download from Cradlepoint's website, just isn't the current firmware according to Sierra. But again, not sure what really changes...

Return to “Cradlepoint Routers”