Quectel EP06-A with Visible Wireless

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
uofa314
Has thanked: 0

Quectel EP06-A with Visible Wireless

Post by uofa314 »

Hi,

I just got a WE826GO-U and installed a Quectel EP06-A modem. I would like to get it to work with a Visible SIM card. I set the APN to VSBLINTERNET, but it will not connect. I tried an AT&T SIM with APN set to broadband and it works fine. I read the posts on using Visible with a Sierra modem. Has anyone gotten Visible to work with a Quectel modem?

The Visible SIM card works in my PepWave router by setting the APN to "VSBLINTERNET" and checking the "IP Passthrough" checkbox. I don't know why I have to check the "IP Passthrough" box, but it will not connect otherwise.
gscheb

Re: Quectel EP06-A with Visible Wireless

Post by gscheb »

Hello,

Don't know if you have seen this post or not. Thought I would include it here encase you didn't see it.
Wonder if IPV4V6 not being set is the issue possibly?
[Please note all these commands are for a Sierra Wireless MC7455.]
Re: MC7455 and Visible by Verizon, Grammie help!

Post by beausmith94 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:34 pm
FIXED! Spent the better part of the day getting this up and running! Pulling 15-30mbps down, and 5-15mpbs up from the bottom floor of my house. All for 25 bucks a month since I'm taking advantage of the Party Pay. Reminder: Visible deprioritizes Visible customers when Verizon customers are active, AND the unthrottled bandwidth is offered for a limited time. I imagine my bandwidth could be greater or less depending on the time I test.

Note: Having both Skylight and Windows 10 managing the LTE connections leads to connection instability. Skylight will continually try to update/fix apn settings. Just uninstall Skylight and connect to MC7455, manually connect with Windows in the connection center. You will still want MC7455 drivers from the sierra wireless website.

This is for an MC7455 in a PCI adapter, with a Visible Verizon SIM, connected via USB to a windows 10 usb. Generic firmware installed on MC7455, most recent drivers installed from Sierra Wireless. I sent the commands using "My Huawei Terminal" but I believe you can send commands through putty as well.

AT! Commands for setup:

at!entercnd="A710" : Establishes admin access to Modem
at!usbcomp=1,1,1009 : sets MC7455 to MBIM mode, required for most interfaces (routers)
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","VSBLINTERNET" : sets APN as visble (seems that capitalization matters)
at+cgdcont=1,"IPV4V6","VSBLINTERNET" : allows for IPV4V6 use... this was a setting that seemed to "enable" my service.

The following commands associate verizon's/visible's bands with a name your MC7455 can use to pick specific bands to connect to. Visible uses verizon's 2, 4, 5, 13, and 66, but MC7455 doesn't support band 66.

at!band=0A,"B2",0,0000000000000002 : band 2 is now associated with 0A
at!band=0B,"B4",0,0000000000000008 : band 4 is now associated with 0B
at!band=0C,"B5",0,0000000000000010 : band 5....
at!band=0D,"B13",0,0000000000001000 : band 13...
at!band=0E,"VZW (All)",0,000000000000101A :notice the 101A, this is a binary representation of all the band values above.

Depending on your area, you can set the bands. If you only have band 2 for example, you can set: at!band=0A,
Just sub 0A, B, C, D, or E.

at!band=0E will enable your MC7455 to connect to any bands/aggregate them for better download speeds. I have this enabled in my area since I have all of the bands. NOTE: if you don't have all of the bands "associated" using the above codes, using the at!band=0E command above will not work because the binary number (101A) will be different.

Hope this helps someone :)
RVroamer

Post by RVroamer »

I got Visible to work with Quectel MC25-AF but I have not tried the EP06-A. Visible seems picky about the modem and/or IMEI. I've tried two MC7455, one works, the other does not. Visible does not work with a Telit LM940. Overall, I seen many more modems that fail to connect than ones that work. Try updating the latest firmware on the EP06-A, I've seen that work with other modems.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Don't have allot of experience with visible but believe IPV4V6 not being set is the issue possibly?
Have set it up on three different modems and all three had to set to IPV4V6.
uofa314

Post by uofa314 »

I still can't get visible to work with the EP06-A. I did try the AT command: at+cgdcont=1,"IPV4V6","VSBLINTERNET" to enable IPV4V6 and set the APN. I also changed the mode to MBIM. It will connect, but little or no data will transfer. The funny thing is that the visible SIM isn't working in my Pepwave router now either, with the same settings as before. I put the SIM back in a phone and it works. How do I update the firmware on the modem itself? I did that on the router. I don't have much experience with LTE modems/routers other than the pepwave max br1 that I use. I have used openWRT in routers without cell modems in them.
uofa314

Post by uofa314 »

I must be doing something wrong with the WE826GO-U router. I put the EP06-A modem in a USB adapter and plugged it into a windows 10 pc. I put VSBLINTERNET as the APN and IPv4v6 as the IP type and it connected and is working fine. I'm getting the same speeds as I see on my phone.
uofa314

Post by uofa314 »

I thought I would post an update. I ended up getting a Sierra MC7455 modem and connected it to a Raspberry Pi with a USB adapter. I updated the modem to the latest generic firmware and sent the AT command to allow for IPV4V6. I couldn't get Wireguard to work with Rooter, so I installed openWRT on the Raspberry Pi and then added the packages needed for QMI and Wireguard. This setup has been working fine with a Visible SIM card as long as I leave Wireguard connected. Without Wireguard, i lose connection after a few hours and I have to reboot. I have no idea why? I'm using the Raspberry Pi instead of the WE826GO-U that I put in the original post because it kept rebooting itself every few minutes. I probably did something wrong with the setup. I'm using the Sierra modem instead of the QUECTEL modem because I couldn't get QUECTEL to work with openWRT (it worked with Rooter).
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

uofa314 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:20 pm I thought I would post an update.
Thanks for the update. How is Visible performing? Are you being capped on it?
BillA

Post by BillA »

uofa314 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:20 pm I thought I would post an update. I ended up getting a Sierra MC7455 modem and connected it to a Raspberry Pi with a USB adapter. I updated the modem to the latest generic firmware and sent the AT command to allow for IPV4V6. I couldn't get Wireguard to work with Rooter, so I installed openWRT on the Raspberry Pi and then added the packages needed for QMI and Wireguard. This setup has been working fine with a Visible SIM card as long as I leave Wireguard connected. Without Wireguard, i lose connection after a few hours and I have to reboot. I have no idea why? I'm using the Raspberry Pi instead of the WE826GO-U that I put in the original post because it kept rebooting itself every few minutes. I probably did something wrong with the setup. I'm using the Sierra modem instead of the QUECTEL modem because I couldn't get QUECTEL to work with openWRT (it worked with Rooter).

Not sure about your exact issue, but when I tested it with a Quectel EP06-A it worked fine. Could be firmware, settings, signal, etc. Unfortunately Visible pipes all traffic through their servers slowing things down and increasing latency quite a bit. It could work for some, while not for others who need higher performance.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

Bill,

on another thread I made an assertion that: On Verizon, you can't stick in any IMEI that's not "approved" on their network and have it work like you can on ATT/Tmo.

I have some supporting evidence to my assertion, for example: Quectel even has a guide on how to whitelist their devices on Verizon by working with Verizon.

Was this Quectel EP06-A that you used on Verizon ever officially registered by you with Verizon or could it have been done for you (for example, you purchased the EP06-A from a US Seller who registered it with Verizon before shipping it out)?

I would be interested in how successful people are on registering Quectel modems directly from China on Verizon
BillA

Post by BillA »

LoveMeSomeCALTE wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:56 am Bill,

on another thread I made an assertion that: On Verizon, you can't stick in any IMEI that's not "approved" on their network and have it work like you can on ATT/Tmo.

I have some supporting evidence to my assertion, for example: Quectel even has a guide on how to whitelist their devices on Verizon by working with Verizon.

Was this Quectel EP06-A that you used on Verizon ever officially registered by you with Verizon or could it have been done for you (for example, you purchased the EP06-A from a US Seller who registered it with Verizon before shipping it out)?

I would be interested in how successful people are on registering Quectel modems directly from China on Verizon

I used a regular stock EP06-A without registration on PagePlus (Verizon reseller). The key is to activate the sim card in an actual Verizon phone, make a test call, browse the web, then move the sim into the router. Now, I'm not sure if this method would work on Verizon's own prepaid/contract, but may be worth a try.
pctech101
Been thanked: 0

Post by pctech101 »

RVroamer wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:02 pm I got Visible to work with Quectel MC25-AF but I have not tried the EP06-A. Visible seems picky about the modem and/or IMEI. I've tried two MC7455, one works, the other does not. Visible does not work with a Telit LM940. Overall, I seen many more modems that fail to connect than ones that work. Try updating the latest firmware on the EP06-A, I've seen that work with other modems.
I know this question is not in regards to the original OP but I am not seeing a way to message you and I am curious about the steps you used for the MC25-AF. Did you just put in the SIM and do manual and set to visible mobile apn and it worked or is there more involved? Appreciate your assistance. Thanks ahead of time.
Yipzy

Post by Yipzy »

Check my post here and see if it helps your case.

http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1289&p=10327#p10327
pctech101
Been thanked: 0

Post by pctech101 »

I'll add this here. I have a GL-X750 with the EP06-A.
All I had to do was set the connection to manual and use
/dev/ttyUSB3
LTE/UMTS/GPRS
VSBLINTERNET

I am up with a max of 20/20

Return to “General and Unclassified”