Configure external USB modem on MOFI4500 ( WE826 ) golden orb

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
iceburglar

Configure external USB modem on MOFI4500 ( WE826 ) golden orb

Post by iceburglar »

I flashed my MOFI4500 with the golden orb. I want to use my Telit LM960 in an external USB enclosure ( from The Wireless Haven ) plugged into the MOFI.

The LM960 in USB enclosure plugged straight into my PC provides web access but I want it through the router. Rooter seems to recognize it is attached but it doesn't provide web access..

I have already set the APN to fast.t-mobile.com and saved/applied

Does it need AT commands or something? I was trying to avoid installing the module directly in the MOFI4500 since it's just temporary until I find a higher performance router.
BillA

Re: Configure external USB modem on MOFI4500 ( WE826 ) golden orb

Post by BillA »

For anyone to help you, you'll need to provide a bit more info, such as which carrier are you using, and the plan.
Also, go to the modem's status page (where it shows the connection status), then copy/paste all that info here so we can see where the issue is.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I was playing with one of them this evening, trying to get it to connect with Sprint.

It connected to AT&T almost instantly, so I suspect it was set to AT&T Firmware, as opposed to generic.

I am not sure the commands to change to generic, but I do know it has generic on it as well. And, I believe TMO uses the generic firmware.
BillA

Post by BillA »

JimHelms wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:33 pm I was playing with one of them this evening, trying to get it to connect with Sprint.

It connected to AT&T almost instantly, so I suspect it was set to AT&T Firmware, as opposed to generic.

I am not sure the commands to change to generic, but I do know it has generic on it as well. And, I believe TMO uses the generic firmware.

ATT and TMO should work with generic firmware, for Sprint you may want to switch to Sprint firmware.
Before inserting the Sprint sim into the router, it's best to make a test call and go online on a phone first.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

There are only two firmware images on the modem. AT&T and Generic.

I do not use phone SIM cards, it is a business data only plan.

The issue is Sprint trying to connect on the AT&T firmware.
BillA

Post by BillA »

JimHelms wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:54 pm There are only two firmware images on the modem. AT&T and Generic.

I do not use phone SIM cards, it is a business data only plan.

The issue is Sprint trying to connect on the AT&T firmware.

Even if it's a data only plan the sim should work to go online on a phone (forget the calls).
The reason I'm suggesting to try it in a phone first, is to provision the sim properly, because Sprint is quite finicky like that. After that it should work in the modem too, but most likely with a generic firmware, or maybe not at all since it requires a Sprint specific version.
Once the Tmo/Sprint merger is fully completed within a year, all their sim cards should work like a regular GSM with no prior provisioning needed.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

The Sprint data card will not work in a cell phone. Period.

Would you believe that I am at least smart enough to test to make sure the SIM card and plan is active.
BillA

Post by BillA »

JimHelms wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:32 pm The Sprint data card will not work in a cell phone. Period.

Would you believe that I am at least smart enough to test to make sure the SIM card and plan is active.

Alright, good to know... even this old dog can learn new tricks. ;)
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

BillA wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:39 pm Alright, good to know... even this old dog can learn new tricks. ;)
Agreed
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

BillA wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:18 pm For anyone to help you, you'll need to provide a bit more info, such as which carrier are you using, and the plan.
Also, go to the modem's status page (where it shows the connection status), then copy/paste all that info here so we can see where the issue is.
Hey Bill,
Carrier is T-Mobile, on the One Plus International plan ( old postpay plan , meant for smartphone ). Before I got the new module I was using the SIM card associated with this plan in the MOFI with it's original software and internal MC7455, the only setup in the mofi config pages I recall back then was selecting t-mobile as the carrier.

Here is the page contents from the Modem>Network Status page ( http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/modem/nets )

Code: Select all

Modem : 
Telit LM960 Modem 1     

Modem ID :  
1bc7 : 1040     

Provider :  
Connecting     

Comm Port : 
/dev/ttyUSB2   

Temperature :  
-     

Protocol :  
-     

Modem/SIM Information

Modem IMEI :  
* was displayed here, redacted for this post*

SIM IMSI :  
Unknown 

SIM ICCID :  
Unknown 

SIM Phone Number :  

SIM Name :  

Signal Information

Network : 
-   

CSQ :  
-   

Signal Strength :  
-   

RSSI :  
-   

ECIO :  
-    

RSCP :  
-    

Connection Monitoring Status :  
-   

Cell Information

MCC MNC : 
--   

RNC/eNB ID : 
--   

LAC/TAC : 
--   

Cell ID :  
--   

LTE Band :  
-   

Channel :  
-   

Maximum Qos :  
--   

JimHelms wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:33 pm I was playing with one of them this evening, trying to get it to connect with Sprint.

Interesting, I am new to the concept of AT commands but I will look into identifying/changing the active firmware on the LM960

I appreciate the replies
BillA

Post by BillA »

"Provider: Connecting" could mean an incorrect APN (but you have entered the correct one already), more importantly the missing values for the parameters listed below could mean that the modem is unable to read the sim card properly.
To eliminate the sim card being the issue right off the bat, I would try the Tmo sim card in a phone just to see if it can read it. If it fails, then simply replace it.
I would also try to insert a different sim card, restart the router, and look at the info again (even if it's from another carrier), at the very least SIM IMSI, SIM ICCID, SIM Phone Number should all be populated with some values regardless if you can connect to the internet or not.

The possibilities for the failure may be: defective SIM card, defective SIM card reader, or reading the incorrect slot. Some M.2 to mPCIe modem adapters may prevent the router's sim slot from reading the sim properly, depending if it's a top or bottom type sim tray adapter, so you could try moving the sim card from the router's slot into the M.2 to mPCIe adapter's sim slot. Also, make sure that the modem and the adapter are all connected to the main board nice and snug with the mounting screws.

If none of these suggestions work, then there's a possibility that the Telit LM960 is either defective, has a locked firmware, or some other unknown issue. It would be helpful if you could copy&paste the various command/status responses.

To read the network status (similar to Sierra's AT!GSTATUS?), but it's more cryptic with values separated by commas. The most important values you wanna look for are <PLMN>, <RSSI> and <IMSI>
AT#RFSTS
#RFSTS: <PLMN>,<EARFCN>,<RSRP>,<RSSI>,<RSRQ>,<TAC>,<RAC>,[<TXPWR>],<DRX>,<MM>,<RRC>,<CID>,<IMSI>,[<NetNameAsc>],<SD>,<ABND>

To read the SIM slot status.
AT#QSS?
<mode>,<status>,<active_slot>
The third value shows 0 for slot 1, or 1 for slot 2

To set the SIM tray detection method by trying all three <mode> values.
AT#SIMDET=<mode>
SIM detection <mode> values
0 - switch to SIM slot1 (factory default)
1 - switch to SIM slot2
2 - automatic SIM slot2 detection through SIMIN Pin

As a last resort, you could perform a full factory reset on the modem, then try the sim in both slots again.
AT&F1
AT+QPRTPARA=3
Then restart the router and try the sim slots again.

Missing values:

SIM IMSI :
Unknown

SIM ICCID :
Unknown

SIM Phone Number :

SIM Name :

Signal Information

Network :
-
CSQ :
-
Signal Strength :
-
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

I think there was some conflict with two modems attached at the same time, at some point I started having spotty web connectivity off the WE826 wifi through the LM960 but the golden orb firmware still wouldn't allow me to interact with it, pretty much all of the connection info on the Modem > Network Status page ( http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/modem/nets ) was still blank and even though I was getting web access from the Telit module neither module would respond to AT commands issued through the golden orb command terminal ( http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/modem/misc ).

I just removed the Sierra MC7455 and still have the LM960 hooked up via USB and was able to get it to provide web access, populate most of the connection information fields and respond to AT commands issued through golden orb terminal. I should have removed the Sierra module days ago but was being stubborn cause I feel like I should be able to leave it installed and only utilize the module of my choice ( probably could If I knew what to change/configure ).

Anyway that's my update for now, I am happy it is working reliably, I'll be familiarizing myself with the AT commands and I'll finally be able to try the commands you posted.
iceburglar

Post by iceburglar »

Had this project stored away for a long time. It seems there was a problem with the USB enclosure/adapter I had the LM960 in as it got where it would rarely be detected by my WE826, and also very unreliably when plugged into my windows laptop.

I finally installed the module directly in the WE826 ( took the wifi connectors off the case and taped them up, disabled wifi in rooter ) and it seems to be working quite well with it automatically selecting bands.

I need to experiment with manually selecting bands to see if I really have anything to gain by stepping up to a WG3526 or the WG1680.

Return to “Firmware”