MC7455 Lock on Cell Id?

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
srunyon1

MC7455 Lock on Cell Id?

Post by srunyon1 »

Im sorry if this has been asked, ive done lots of research and just cant find the answer.

I am currently using a MC7455 in a ZBT-WEB826 Router using Golden Orb firmware.

I have found how to set the Band to the one I want and that has been working fine for over a year now.

all of a sudden I keep losing speed and it jumps to another Cell Id same band close the same power but terrible speed.

I have one tower that I am pointing dual Yagi antenna's at and until just recently has not been an issue holding anywhere between 10 and 50 meg .
when it switches to the other Cell id the speed drops to 300k or less.

the good Cell ID is 0A(10)
bad is 9
id like to lock it to the one good cell id.

any help would be great!! thanks

Ziggy
BillA

Re: MC7455 Lock on Cell Id?

Post by BillA »

While you're connected to the faster good band, you need to find that band number by entering this AT command in Modem > Miscellaneous:

Code: Select all

AT!GSTATUS?
Then lock the band to that single good band, and run a speed test.
Keep in mind, locking it to a single band, it will prevent the modem to do CA (Carrier Aggregation for faster speeds), so you may want to find at least another good band and lock the modem to those two bands only. Here's how to do it:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16 ... +band+lock

Since you haven't mentioned you carrier, here are all the possible bands for the major US carriers:
ATT = 2, 4, 5, 12, 14, 17, 29, 30, 46, 66
TMO = 2, 4, 5, 12, 46, 66, 71
VZW = 2, 4, 5, 13, 66
SPR = 25, 26, 41
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

ya so locking to just the band doesn't work. the band 2 works the best when it stays on cell id 10(0A) i can get the full cell id using status but in the gui that's what is says. It will stay on band 2 but switch to a different cell ID 9 still on band 2. I have tried all the aggregation combos available. it is ATT. using 2 and 12 works ok as well until it switches to this other Cell id. Both when connected are around 93% on the signal strength. i can post more info from the status but it really comes down to it switching the cell id's ..
thanks for all the help...

Ziggy.
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

Good Cell ID

at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS: 
Current Time:  849		Temperature: 41
Reset Counter: 1		Mode:        ONLINE         
System mode:   LTE        	PS state:    Attached     
LTE band:      B2     		LTE bw:      20 MHz  
LTE Rx chan:   800		LTE Tx chan: 18800
LTE CA state:  NOT ASSIGNED
EMM state:     Registered     	Normal Service 
RRC state:     RRC Connected  
IMS reg state: No Srv  		

PCC RxM RSSI:  -59		RSRP (dBm):  -93
PCC RxD RSSI:  -65		RSRP (dBm):  -99
Tx Power:      10		TAC:         8B1E (35614)
RSRQ (dB):     -12.9		Cell ID:     0A17400A (169295882)
SINR (dB):      2.2

OK
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

from the gui

MCC MNC :
310 410

RNC/eNB ID :
A1740 (661312)

LAC/TAC :
8B1E (35614)

Cell ID :
0A (10)

LTE Band :
B2 (Bandwidth 20 MHz)

Channel :

Maximum Qos :
-
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

speed test on this setting is 20 meg down 30 meg up
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

when it switches again I'll post those results
fyi i also have tried another sim card and get the same issue.
BillA

Post by BillA »

srunyon1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:57 pm when it switches again I'll post those results
fyi i also have tried another sim card and get the same issue.

You can only lock the band# not the actual cell site ID. It's perfectly normal for the mobile network to dynamically instruct your modem to switch over to another cell ID within the area depending on congestion and various other factors. However, it can only lock onto band(s) you have defined in your list. Only more advanced and specialized modems have the ability to also lock out certain cell ID#s, but not the consumer models used in mobile routers. Hope that make sense now.
swoop
Been thanked: 0

Post by swoop »

BillA, would you be able to point me towards a modem capable of locking out a cell ID #? Anything that can give me (some) control over which cell IDs are used, doesn't matter if it's an industrial/carrier-grade router, bare module modem, etc.

(My first post here, just landed on the forum from google because of this thread!)

Thanks! -Dan
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Quectel EM20 can, for sure. I'll have to search about because I think older Quectels can as well, AND there MIGHT be info on Sierras.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

No info found on Sierras, but a few Quectels can lock onto specific cells on a tower, and you can list multiple in the commands.
BillA

Post by BillA »

swoop wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:50 pm BillA, would you be able to point me towards a modem capable of locking out a cell ID #? Anything that can give me (some) control over which cell IDs are used, doesn't matter if it's an industrial/carrier-grade router, bare module modem, etc.

(My first post here, just landed on the forum from google because of this thread!)

Thanks! -Dan

As Didneywhorl has mentioned the Quectel EM20 can (though I haven't tried it) and some other high end models by SIMCOM. Keep in mind these are pretty expensive (in the $200-300 range). What's likely happening, is that you are between two towers with both broadcasting on band #2, and your modem is picking up whichever has slightly better signal (however that doesn't always translate to better speeds). So you're right that picking up a specific cell-ID would help, problem is that most modems are unable to be set to a specific cell-ID. A workaround would be to use directional antennas (you can find flat panels at thewirelesshaven.com) and simply point it toward the tower which gives a better speeds. It will take a bit of trial and error but should work.
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

Didneywhorl if you have any info on the Sierras that would be great, thats what I'm looking for.
thanks
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

BillA wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:34 am As Didneywhorl has mentioned the Quectel EM20 can (though I haven't tried it) and some other high end models by SIMCOM. Keep in mind these are pretty expensive (in the $200-300 range). What's likely happening, is that you are between two towers with both broadcasting on band #2, and your modem is picking up whichever has slightly better signal (however that doesn't always translate to better speeds). So you're right that picking up a specific cell-ID would help, problem is that most modems are unable to be set to a specific cell-ID. A workaround would be to use directional antennas (you can find flat panels at thewirelesshaven.com) and simply point it toward the tower which gives a better speeds. It will take a bit of trial and error but should work.
I have directional Antennas, Dual Yagi's at 45 degrees , and the slow Cell is sometimes a weaker signal. $200- 300 is worth it if it fixes the problem. I think i Paid $150 for the Sierra I have to keep it on one band. with the antennas, i can find a sweet spot but still bounces off sometimes. I have a very limited view towards the tower. I have been testing this for years and on my entire acer of land I have one spot, out one window that work. Too high no good too low no good, all over my property.
In this area I would have to pay 150 a month for Crapy 700k ATT Uverse connection. I fought to keep my 6 meg DSL so long, they finally got me when I asked them if I could drop my Land line and keep my dsl , they said it was fine. Long story short then turned off everything and after months of fighting with them they said they would turn back on my DSL but only to 3 meg. I said good bye, Found this solution for $50 a month, get about 20 meg downloads up to 70 on a good day. except when this Cell switch happens. then i'm back at about 1.2 meg to as low as 500k. Thanks for all your help, not a newb but need some help once in a while.. thanks
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I haven't found any data on Sierras being able to lock to particular cells.

Quectels can though. The em16 or em20 is recommended. Its not very common practice, so info is hard to find.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The command to lookup is AT+QNWLOCK, this is specific to Quectel modems, and the details on parameters are important. You have to use other commands, like AT+QENG="servingcell" and AT+QENG="neighborcell" to gather the info needed to enter into the AT+QNWLOCK command.

The AT Command manuals are freely available on the Quectel website, worth looking into.
BillA

Post by BillA »

srunyon1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:33 pm I have directional Antennas, Dual Yagi's at 45 degrees , and the slow Cell is sometimes a weaker signal. $200- 300 is worth it if it fixes the problem. I think i Paid $150 for the Sierra I have to keep it on one band. with the antennas, i can find a sweet spot but still bounces off sometimes. I have a very limited view towards the tower. I have been testing this for years and on my entire acer of land I have one spot, out one window that work. Too high no good too low no good, all over my property.
In this area I would have to pay 150 a month for Crapy 700k ATT Uverse connection. I fought to keep my 6 meg DSL so long, they finally got me when I asked them if I could drop my Land line and keep my dsl , they said it was fine. Long story short then turned off everything and after months of fighting with them they said they would turn back on my DSL but only to 3 meg. I said good bye, Found this solution for $50 a month, get about 20 meg downloads up to 70 on a good day. except when this Cell switch happens. then i'm back at about 1.2 meg to as low as 500k. Thanks for all your help, not a newb but need some help once in a while.. thanks

Your least expensive modem option with specific cell-ID/channel locking capability would be a Quectel EP/EM06-A (CAT-6), followed by the EM12 (CAT-12), EM16 (CAT-16), EM20 (CAT-20), via the AT+QNWINFO and AT+QENG commands.
Also a highly directional Yagi antenna should prevent the modem to lock onto the slower channel, since it wouldn't be able pick up enough signal on the wrong channel if positional properly. Pick your poison. ;)
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Don't forget the EM16 :)
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

the yagi's dont seem to find the sweet spot. both cells are the same power. I just think they are switching it on me
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

BillA wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:25 am Your least expensive modem option with specific cell-ID/channel locking capability would be a Quectel EP/EM06-A (CAT-6), followed by the EM12 (CAT-12), EM20 (CAT-20), via the AT+QNWINFO and AT+QENG commands.
Also a highly directional Yagi antenna should prevent the modem to lock onto the slower channel, since it wouldn't be able pick up enough signal on the wrong channel if positional properly. Pick your poison. ;)
Can these also be set to a specific band? I switched from a Quectel EC25A becuase it couldn't hold the band.

i'll do some research,, thanks for the help!!
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

ok so these are not mini pci. so, what router do they fit in?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Yes, the AT command is

AT+QCFG="band",0,<LTE_BAND_VAL>,1
The band values can be found here:
[url]http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=943[/url]
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The em series modems are m.2 key B form factor, and most routers will take them via a mpcie to m.2 key b adapter.

Like so.....

https://thewirelesshaven.com/product-category/pcie-m-2/

I know of one router out there that takes the m.2 directly, like the M2M NEXG H721.
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

found the adapter and ordered the EM12 thanks!!
BillA

Post by BillA »

srunyon1 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:05 pm Can these also be set to a specific band? I switched from a Quectel EC25A becuase it couldn't hold the band.

i'll do some research,, thanks for the help!!

Yes, the Quectel EP06-A, EM12, EM16, and EM20 can all be restricted by both band and cell-ID, therefore you can obtain a very precise selection you're looking for. Regarding a Yagi antenna, they are highly directional which should also work provided is has been adjusted properly.
pahiker

Post by pahiker »

(sorry, this post is crazy long for a newbie)

Hello, Srunyon1 (and everyone else)--How'd you make out with the EM12? I just joined as well after seeing your post in Googling, members here seem super helpful which is great to see!

My situation in a nutshell: Live in BFE southwest Pennsylvania in the mountains on a farm, DSL maxes at 3mbit when the stars align... Cell service is spotty, Verizon's pretty much the only nearby provider. Most everything is band 13 given the rural locale. I need to lock a specific tower as well. Why? Because Vzn put up a new, essentially 0 traffic tower specifically for the CSX railroad, LTE only, and reliably pushes 75-125Mbit on band 13 using my Note 10 (cat20) modem. Wow! I can only lock that tower by driving down into a valley where it's the only tower that can be picked up by my phone.

Anyway, unless I can "lock" that cellID the phone will (apparently) preferentially go to any tower with both 3g/4g service meaning it "sniffs out" the crap tower 9 miles away that's heavily loaded with PA Turnpike traffic and thus quite slow comparatively.

If I can't get the Yagis to isolate that tower, may try going the Quectel route. If needed I may even put the Yagis in a faraday cage to keep out the peripheral intruders?

If actually successful, my next issue would be figuring out how to amplify with MIMO Yagis as you have, since I need to shoot the signal from the mountaintop down into a deep valley where my idyllic but spartan abode is located...
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Welcome!

Fortunately, Yagi antennas are kind of a laser beam, and don't really pick up peripherally. So if you need very sharp alignment, I think Yagis or similar types would be the way to go. I would leave boosters to voice call only, not on a modem used for data; they seem to also boost noise, making the data seemingly unusable. Your better bet is looking for the highest gain rating on the antenna (IE: highest "dbi") Unfortunately, some antenna makers spend more money on marketing than production, so you have to be careful. If it's super inexpensive, it MAY be super ineffective.

If you have to get signal through tress and varied terrain, the yagis may or may not be the best option, though they may work. I've heard often, and repeat to others, that flat panel directional antennas seem to deal with non perfect line of sight scenarios, like trees and elevation changes with no line of sight to the cell tower. YMMV.

Quectel modem like the EM12, EM160GL, and EM20 can lock onto specific cell tower radios, though I have no experience doing so just yet [It's on my list!]. I've only found the info, not yet incorporated it.
pahiker

Post by pahiker »

Here goes too-long post #2:

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely going to test Yagis first. The issue is gonna be getting signal over the hill. Though I haven't tested yet, I'm pretty sure no Yagi, even if I could lock the tower I want, is going to pick up a signal directly from my home in the valley.

That said, if I do get signal on the desired tower from the hilltop (definitely direct LOS) I still need to rebroadcast it down the other side to the house, also then LOS, which is roughly 2000 feet from that point. Thus the need for some sort of amplifier for rebroadcast?

Ideally I'd be able to rebroadcast with a 30-60 degree high-gain sector/panel type antenna so I have rather large LTE coverage at the house and surrounding area, just not sure if that's feasible.

Plan b, if needed, would be to use a jetpack-like setup at the hilltop, connected to desired tower, where instead of rebroadcasting LTE at 700mhz I could use wifi 2.4/5ghz to send signal to the house. Not sure but maybe that has some advantages, mainly in that hardware like antennas/routers, etc are cheaper and easier to find, especially the sector antennas for wifi.

Only downside of plan b would be no LTE, and thus only useable for phones with wifi calling enabled. And even then only if users have the wifi password, which could be a challenge for my agriculturally minded local pals who know less about this stuff than even I do!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

pahiker wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:04 am Here goes too-long post #2:

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely going to test Yagis first. The issue is gonna be getting signal over the hill. Though I haven't tested yet, I'm pretty sure no Yagi, even if I could lock the tower I want, is going to pick up a signal directly from my home in the valley.

That said, if I do get signal on the desired tower from the hilltop (definitely direct LOS) I still need to rebroadcast it down the other side to the house, also then LOS, which is roughly 2000 feet from that point. Thus the need for some sort of amplifier for rebroadcast?

Ideally I'd be able to rebroadcast with a 30-60 degree high-gain sector/panel type antenna so I have rather large LTE coverage at the house and surrounding area, just not sure if that's feasible.

Plan b, if needed, would be to use a jetpack-like setup at the hilltop, connected to desired tower, where instead of rebroadcasting LTE at 700mhz I could use wifi 2.4/5ghz to send signal to the house. Not sure but maybe that has some advantages, mainly in that hardware like antennas/routers, etc are cheaper and easier to find, especially the sector antennas for wifi.

Only downside of plan b would be no LTE, and thus only useable for phones with wifi calling enabled. And even then only if users have the wifi password, which could be a challenge for my agriculturally minded local pals who know less about this stuff than even I do!
Do you have power at the location your talking about?
pahiker

Post by pahiker »

Yes, I do. Plenty of sun for solar and a large backup lithium available (6+ kwh)
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I've not heard of any boosters that could relay the service towards your house, that work with data. A "?cellular" booster may be able to, but they don't seem to do well with data, only voice. I could be proven wrong there, but I haven't found that info to be wrong thus far.

So for your phone calls, that may be something, but I have an idea on how you COULD remedy the data part. You could setup a directional antenna pair, or quad, AND your router/modem inside a weatherproof enclosure, on that hilltop. Then you can beam that connection, like a wireless LAN cable, back to your residence. Ubiquiti makes products for this, like the Nano Beam, and I'm sure other network equipment makers do too.
Example setup for the point to point wireless bridge, mostly a config video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PebrOXwOMs
Similar setup, different gear shows the stuff a pittle better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV__fpTpq78

You, of course, would just need power to the hilltop but, it sounds like you have that covered.

So you would have your router and modem at the hilltop, doing its connecting to the interwebz with your yagis, that would then feed into the point to point bridge beam, that would then beam to your house to the 2nd ptp beam. This 2nd beam at the house would feed into a switch or hub in the house, then you can add a wireless access point for house wifi, etc.

Again, this wouldnt help with the phones, but you could likely just add another setup up there with a "cellular booster"
pahiker

Post by pahiker »

Update, a bit frustrating. Finally got the Quectel EM12-G working with Visible after changing to "4G only." Problem I'm having is slow connection, if at all, with frequent disconnects (1-2 mbits down). Same SIM in my phone, same location is 20mbits+. Initially thought I had something mis-configured until on a whim I removed the cover of the router and saw clear improvement to 3-4mbits and far fewer "no internet" dropouts, suggesting there's an issue with my modem/antenna wiring. I tested this at least five times (opened/closed) to be sure this was truly the case.

Pigtails seem to be attached correctly, but I'm not 100% certain of that. I have one on the M (presume "main") and one on D (presume diversity), nothing on the G.

I'm unsure how to measure signal strength, which would help, though that certainly seems to be the problem! Any input would be welcomed. Thanks.
BillA

Post by BillA »

pahiker wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:23 pm Update, a bit frustrating. Finally got the Quectel EM12-G working with Visible after changing to "4G only." Problem I'm having is slow connection, if at all, with frequent disconnects (1-2 mbits down). Same SIM in my phone, same location is 20mbits+. Initially thought I had something mis-configured until on a whim I removed the cover of the router and saw clear improvement to 3-4mbits and far fewer "no internet" dropouts, suggesting there's an issue with my modem/antenna wiring. I tested this at least five times (opened/closed) to be sure this was truly the case.

Pigtails seem to be attached correctly, but I'm not 100% certain of that. I have one on the M (presume "main") and one on D (presume diversity), nothing on the G.

I'm unsure how to measure signal strength, which would help, though that certainly seems to be the problem! Any input would be welcomed. Thanks.

When you remove the case, you're simply letting more signal penetrate the modem/cables, thus the slightly better speeds. I would place the router with the case closed in a windows sill, and see if you're getting better signal.
It's hard to tell exactly what's causing your signal issue, but Visible is known to throttle their speeds at around 10Mbps, and while they have lifted the restriction during the pandemic, they may have reinstated it. Maybe another Visible user can chime in on this.
To view your signal stats, send this AT command:

AT!GSTATUS?
pahiker

Post by pahiker »

BillA wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:20 am When you remove the case, you're simply letting more signal penetrate the modem/cables, thus the slightly better speeds. I would place the router with the case closed in a windows sill, and see if you're getting better signal.
It's hard to tell exactly what's causing your signal issue, but Visible is known to throttle their speeds at around 10Mbps, and while they have lifted the restriction during the pandemic, they may have reinstated it. Maybe another Visible user can chime in on this.

AT!GSTATUS?
Sorry Didneywhorl, missed your response when I posted last. Planned to do what you suggested with P2P feed from hilltop with encased router on a pole (er, tree!). Another option would be running ethernet over coax/POE which may be more reliable and eliminates solar/batt maintenance at the hilltop.
BillA wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:20 am When you remove the case, you're simply letting more signal penetrate the modem/cables, thus the slightly better speeds. I would place the router with the case closed in a windows sill, and see if you're getting better signal.

AT!GSTATUS?
When I tested with phone vs. router (cover on/off) they were in the same location, seemed to me that taking the cover off and "allowing signal in" should not have made a difference with wires properly connected to external router antennas?

One thing I didn't consider is that the phone is testing directly, not in hotspot mode. I'll retest, with the helpful AT signal command, this time will put the phone in hotspot to level the playing field...
pahiker

Post by pahiker »

Just botched my first attempt to properly quote and reply. Sorry.
pahiker

Post by pahiker »

Woo-hoo. Reseated IPEX antenna connectors and I'm in business. Last piece of the puzzle (reason i got a Quectel) is to lock the specific tower I need with cellID, though don't know which database I should use for that....seem to be many different cellID formats? Intend to read the manual, but could one of you kindly give me a brief summary?
pahiker

Post by pahiker »

Geez, appears the AT+QNWLOCK command is an unpublished one? Not listed in the 200+ page manual....
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

pahiker wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:25 pm Geez, appears the AT+QNWLOCK command is an unpublished one? Not listed in the 200+ page manual....
Correct, do you need the syntax?
pahiker

Post by pahiker »

sure do. Not to mention I need to use the proper cell ID. The ones on cell info lite don't seem to compute?
BillA

Post by BillA »

pahiker wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:25 pm Geez, appears the AT+QNWLOCK command is an unpublished one? Not listed in the 200+ page manual....

First make sure your modem is picking up the "good" signal, then send these commands to get the Cell-ID (I believe it's the 7th set of digits in the response):

AT+QENG=?
AT+QENG="servingcell"
AT+QENG=?
AT+QENG="neighborcell"

To find the syntax for QNWLOCK, try these commands:

AT+QNWLOCK
AT+QNWLOCK?
AT+QNWLOCK=?

If no luck, then you may want to post your question in the Whirlpool forum > https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3vx1k1r3
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

just a follow up on my situation.
I purchased the EM20 and it really works great, however after a month or so , it started switching to the lower speed cell id again.

I've look through the rest of the posts and was able to run the

AT+QENG="servingcell"
+QENG: "servingcell","NOCONN","LTE","FDD",310,410,A174011,321,5110,12,3,3,8B1E,-88,-14,-57,9,-
Not quite sure now how to add that info to the QNWLOCK command.

AT+QNWLOCK=?
+QNWLOCK: "common/4g",<num of cells>,[[<freq>,<pci>],...]
+QNWLOCK: "common/lte"[,<action>[,<EARFCN>,<PCI>[,<status>]]]

OK
Can someone help me with the syntax?

Also how do I get a modem status that tells me something about the signal strength of each separate antenna?

AT!GSTATUS?

AT!GSTATUS?
ERROR

when i run the status command listed in this thread i just get an error back.
it seems the EM20 uses some different commands and I have yet to find a complete list for this version

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Ziggy.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The Quectel modems do not have the well done AT!GSTATUS? command that Sierra Wireless modems use. Your closest bet is AT+QENG="SERVINGCELL"?

THE command AT+QNWLOCK is relatively unexplored. Its on my list.
srunyon1

Post by srunyon1 »

So I think i got it,
first run
AT+QENG="neighbourcell"

+QENG: "neighbourcell intra","LTE",800,412,-16,-93,-56,0,-,-,-,-,-

+QENG: "neighbourcell intra","LTE",800,254,-17,-95,-68,0,-,-,-,-,-

+QENG: "neighbourcell intra","LTE",800,258,-20,-99,-68,0,-,-,-,-,-

+QENG: "neighbourcell intra","LTE",800,212,-20,-99,-69,0,-,-,-,-,-

Then Run

AT+QENG="servingcell"

When it is connected to the good Cell

servingcell","NOCONN","LTE","FDD",310,410,A17400A,**412,800**,2,5,5,8B1E,-93,-15,-57,10,0,80,-

These are the numbers you are looking for.
you will see in the Neighbourcells the order has to be swaped so I want **800,412**
This takes a bit to figure out, I have two modems and one sits on the good cell and I was able to see the info to understand what I wanted.

AT+QENG="neighbourcell"

+QENG: "neighbourcell intra","LTE",800,412,-16,-93,-56,0,-,-,-,-,-

+QENG: "neighbourcell intra","LTE",800,254,-17,-95,-68,0,-,-,-,-,-

+QENG: "neighbourcell intra","LTE",800,258,-20,-99,-68,0,-,-,-,-,-

+QENG: "neighbourcell intra","LTE",800,212,-20,-99,-69,0,-,-,-,-,-

So to lock to the Cell that I want it is 800,412

then I ran

AT+QNWLOCK: "common/4g",1,800,412

AT+QNWLOCK="common/4g",1,800,412

Then if you run you see its locked

AT+QNWLOCK="common/4g"

+QNWLOCK: "common/4g",1, **800,412**

OK

I think to un lock it then you run
AT+QNWLOCK="common/4g",0

and it puts it back to

AT+QNWLOCK="common/4g"

+QNWLOCK: "common/4g",0

OK
BillA

Post by BillA »

srunyon1 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 am So I think i got it,
I ran

AT+QNWLOCK: "common/4g",1,800,412

AT+QNWLOCK="common/4g",1,800,412

Then if you run you see its locked

AT+QNWLOCK="common/4g"

+QNWLOCK: "common/4g",1, **800,412**

After you restart the modem, does it stick to the specified cellID order when you send a "neighbourcell"?
The reason I'm asking, is because towers can actually override it to ensure network integrity.
websiteperson

Post by websiteperson »

Is this still working for you? I'll have my LTE router tomorrow & I'll need to do the same thing 😉
websiteperson

Post by websiteperson »

BillA wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:13 am

After you restart the modem, does it stick to the specified cellID order when you send a "neighbourcell"?
The reason I'm asking, is because towers can actually override it to ensure network integrity.
Just thought I'd followup & say I got my setup going, and was able to lock to one tower (set primary cell) thanks to this thread.

Per your question, I assume you mean for specifying more than 1 tower/cell. I have not tried that, as I'm using directional antennas. In the event it doesn't, could you just run the AT command using a cron job, or do they have to be done on the Miscellaneous page? I'm kind of a noob with this stuff 🙂

Note for lurkers: in srunyon's last post, he has the command/result flipped. To apply the setting, be sure you use the = sign, so in his example:
QNWLOCK="common/4g",1,800,412

I thought it didn't work after trying with the colon, my first read through. If you're experienced with AT commands, though, you'd probably catch that & not make my mistake. 🙂
Prvt.N00b

Post by Prvt.N00b »

I´m getting an error with this command AT+QENG="neighbourcell" and I´m using a Sierra Wireless EM7665, please confirm if this command is valid for my modem.

Thanks
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That command is not valid for Sierra modems, only Quectel modems.

I'm not sure what command Sierra has that is similar.
joaobrasil65
Has thanked: 0

Post by joaobrasil65 »

I am trying to accomplish the same goal of connecting only to one specific cell on T-Mobile or possibly just a whitelist of towers. It looks like I have to use a Quectel modem to do this? I need help writing a script to accomplish this. Is anyone willing to help me or maybe do a small paid contract?

I am an accomplished tech for enterprise software but this is new to me. I also cannot seem to find the complete list of AT commands for the Qeuctel modems.

Please respond if interested or you can offer some further advice.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Quectel only so far as I know. AT commands can be had from your retailer. Unfortunately not all commands are publicly documented. There are tons of undocumented commands, but AT+QNWLOCK I believe is documented.
joaobrasil65
Has thanked: 0

Post by joaobrasil65 »

Guys, this is a great thread. I am new to wireless modem AT commands. My goal is to get mine to lock on to a specific cell tower and stay on it. It looks like I need to have a Quectel modem to do it. Yes?

I was hoping to be able to do it with my android phone. Has anyone done that?

If not, does anyone have an example script to accomplish this?

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”