Best modem to support band 71 for Tmobile

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Jessmadeit
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best modem to support band 71 for Tmobile

Post by Jessmadeit »

I'm new here and I've been searching the threads for days now. I'm in a rural area with no major ISP availability. I currently have a great verizon signal with an unlimited plan, but I understand that big red is really strict on using their sim card in a different device. I'm assuming they would shut down usage of their sim in a router. Tmobile has increased their coverage a great deal and I *think* may be strong enough, but I dont have an unlocked device to test it in.
However, band 71 seems to be their strongest signal here and most of the modem links I'm finding here do not list B71 support. Can someone help here?
TIA!
BillA

Re: Best modem to support band 71 for Tmobile

Post by BillA »

Jessmadeit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:24 am I'm new here and I've been searching the threads for days now. I'm in a rural area with no major ISP availability. I currently have a great verizon signal with an unlimited plan, but I understand that big red is really strict on using their sim card in a different device. I'm assuming they would shut down usage of their sim in a router. Tmobile has increased their coverage a great deal and I *think* may be strong enough, but I dont have an unlocked device to test it in.
However, band 71 seems to be their strongest signal here and most of the modem links I'm finding here do not list B71 support. Can someone help here?
TIA!

While band 71 is great as a secondary band for CA (carrier aggregation) to increase speeds, given that it's a fairly narrow band (5Mhz) in most areas, it probably won't give you greatest speeds on its own.
One of the quickest and cheapest ways to test your Tmobile coverage, is by borrowing a Tmobile phone from friends, family, or neighbors and running some speeds test in and around your home. That should give you a general idea of what to expect, and a mobile router with its external stick antennas usually gives a better performance. Additionally you could get external roof-top antennas aimed directly at the mobile tower for an even better performance.
Jessmadeit
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jessmadeit »

BillA wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:04 pm While band 71 is great as a secondary band for CA (carrier aggregation) to increase speeds, given that it's a fairly narrow band (5Mhz) in most areas, it probably won't give you greatest speeds on its own.
One of the quickest and cheapest ways to test your Tmobile coverage, is by borrowing a Tmobile phone from friends, family, or neighbors and running some speeds test in and around your home. That should give you a general idea of what to expect, and a mobile router with its external stick antennas usually gives an ever better performance. Additionally you could get external roof-top antennas aimed directly at the mobile tower for even better performance.
Thanks! I tested it out today and was sorely disappointed. very low speeds outdoors and almost nonexistent indoors. Looks like Verizon it is for a while still. Tmobile has definitely improved, but still WAY slower than Verizon. Now to figure out what's the best verizon plan to use in a LTE router....
Is third party always the best option for these types of setups?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Jessmadeit wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:46 pm Thanks! I tested it out today and was sorely disappointed. very low speeds outdoors and almost nonexistent indoors. Looks like Verizon it is for a while still. Tmobile has definitely improved, but still WAY slower than Verizon. Now to figure out what's the best verizon plan to use in a LTE router....
Is third party always the best option for these types of setups?

Tmobile with good signal gives me between 50-300+Mbps depending on the type of modem used (CAT-6 to CAT-20). No matter how good of a signal you have, the modem's CAT# is a big factor, course the signal matters too.
Third party resellers are usually a bit more forgiving when it comes to data caps, but not always. Here's a list prepaid plans that might work for you. > https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5790#p5790
james1193

Post by james1193 »

Also looking for T-Mobile B71 support. Looks like the EM9190 will support it, but I don't think it's available yet.

https://www.sierrawireless.com/products ... ts/em9190/
BillA

Post by BillA »

james1193 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:07 am Also looking for T-Mobile B71 support. Looks like the EM9190 will support it, but I don't think it's available yet.

https://www.sierrawireless.com/products ... ts/em9190/

Nice, it's got 8x 5G antenna connectors + 4x for 4G-LTE.... the router will look like a porcupine with all those antennas sticking out. lol Oh, and the price is close to thousand bucks.... we better start saving up in that piggy bank.
james1193

Post by james1193 »

$1000, wow.. Where did you find pricing info?
entropy4u

Post by entropy4u »

Telit LM960 is not too expensive
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
If you really want to try T-Mobile you be surprised what you can do with a set of good antennas about 20 plus feet in the air. I have got it to work in places that don't have a good signal ordinarily. But don't worry about making band 71 a priority.

Return to “General and Unclassified”