Tether smartphone via USB

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
teksupsm
Has thanked: 0

Tether smartphone via USB

Post by teksupsm »

I am following the instructions on openwrt site, but when trying to install some of the packages (specifically kmod-usb-net-ipheth) I am getting a kernel support error. Is there a way to enable using a smartphone tethered to the usb port on a WG826?
BillA

Re: Tether smartphone via USB

Post by BillA »

teksupsm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:08 pm I am following the instructions on openwrt site, but when trying to install some of the packages (specifically kmod-usb-net-ipheth) I am getting a kernel support error. Is there a way to enable using a smartphone tethered to the usb port on a WG826?

I would suggest to simply flash it with the latest GoldenOrb/WiFix firmware which has updated drivers to tether most Android phones by going to Settings > Connections/Mobile > USB Tethering on the phone. There's nothing else to install, but not sure it has drivers for iPhones, though you could try.

Here's how to flash a WE826/WG3526
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6007#p6007
teksupsm

Post by teksupsm »

Iphone does not seem to be recognized when I plug it in with wifix firmware.
BillA

Post by BillA »

teksupsm wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:38 am Iphone does not seem to be recognized when I plug it in with wifix firmware.

Well, then try an Android.
By the way, after plugging in the iPhone, did you turn on USB Tethering on the phone?
Settings > Cellular > USB Tethering
It may take a minute or two till the router picks it up, so just wait and check again under modems.
Have you tried the latest GoldenOrb too?
Optionally, you could flash it with the MoFi firmware (through bootloader) which I believe has iPhone drivers built-in.
Read their firmware page carefully, because as I remember there's a special firmware version just for iPhone tethering (or maybe that was just for an older WE826 version).
teksupsm

Post by teksupsm »

I have the latest version on the WG3526 does that support usb tethering a hotspot? I have a mifi from calyx (as of this afternoon).
BillA

Post by BillA »

teksupsm wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:07 pm I have the latest version on the WG3526 does that support usb tethering a hotspot? I have a mifi from calyx (as of this afternoon).

It should work with most Android phones, just make sure you're running the latest GoldenOrb or WiFix firmware on your WG3526. After connecting the phone to the router via usb, on the phone go to Settings > Connections/Mobile > USB Tethering and turn it on. In the router's settings select the tethered phone as you modem (every router/firmware is different, so you'll just have to find it).
Here's how to flash the latest version:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6007#p6007
teksupsm

Post by teksupsm »

i Assumed there was some section for usb hotspot and did not realize it just works on the WiFi’s firmware. Now just need to get some adapters to plug in the antenna to the calyx hotspot. Wish I didn’t have to have the battery in that thing.

Return to “Firmware”