Thermostat wont stay connected

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
juavos00

Thermostat wont stay connected

Post by juavos00 »

Hello, new member here but I've been around for a minute outside of these forums; I am now reaching out for more help to see if I can fix this dilemma I am currently in. I've asked some of you already so you may have heard this, but for the others here it goes..

I have an EM20-g housed inside of a WE1326 router, I followed Jim's guide here http://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=49 to make the new router work as a modem only by disabling the dhcp. I have a Linksys router WRT3200ACM behind handling all the traffic. My question is my Honeywell Thermostat will not stay connected to the internet longer than 12 seconds. I talked to the mfg and they thought it was the thermostat's problem; so today I warrantied it out and the new one acts the same way. My app shows "System is offline"

I have internet on all of my other devices in the house/network. I can "see" the device on the Linksys GUI and can ping its IP from the command prompt with no problems. Is there something I can try to get this thing to work? The thermostat worked flawlessly online when I had a nighthawk M1 setup in DMZ mode with the same Linksys router. I also tested it with a hotspot on my phone and it works, but need to be able to use it outside of my home therefore getting it on the regular network..

Thank you,
56387f

Re: Thermostat wont stay connected

Post by 56387f »

Hello,

This is interesting.

How comfortable are you around computers? I am asking because If I were you then I would install Wireshark and check all traffic coming from/to the thermostat. I would try to sniff the traffic between WE1326 and WRT3200ACM and on the WAN interface of WE1326 and most likely it would be clear what kind of data is not passing through (I am actually not sure what IP is assigned to WRT3200ACM - an external one or internal (the double NAT)).

It is also interesting that thermostat worked fine in DMZ - the most obvious question would be "why it was put in DMZ in the first place? May be because it it requires some ports to open - the ports which are blocked by the firewall by default ?)"

I had a WiFi enabled Honeywell Thermostat in the past, it did not require to be moved to the DMZ, it just worked.
56387f

Post by 56387f »

I thing there is a simpler approach how to troubleshoot the problem since other users also had similar issues (impossible to connect to the Honeywell external server) -in the past. Check the following link to see if it helps:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comme ... ion_issue/
juavos00

Post by juavos00 »

56387f wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:55 pm Hello,

This is interesting.

How comfortable are you around computers? I am asking because If I were you then I would install Wireshark and check all traffic coming from/to the thermostat. I would try to sniff the traffic between WE1326 and WRT3200ACM and on the WAN interface of WE1326 and most likely it would be clear what kind of data is not passing through (I am actually not sure what IP is assigned to WRT3200ACM - an external one or internal (the double NAT)).

It is also interesting that thermostat worked fine in DMZ - the most obvious question would be "why it was put in DMZ in the first place? May be because it it requires some ports to open - the ports which are blocked by the firewall by default ?)"

I had a WiFi enabled Honeywell Thermostat in the past, it did not require to be moved to the DMZ, it just worked.
Well I’m pretty good with computers to an extent but I’m always willing to try new things. The “reason” my equipment was in dmz mode was because I was having timeout issues with the nighthawk setup. Another member helped me via Facebook and once it was set to dmz never had a dropped packet or timeout issue again. Therefore I just assumed the new one needed to be the same way!

I read the reddit post you told me to look at and the OP ended up saying It was a DNS issue. Is that on the modem side or router side? My WE1326 is running GoldenOrb_2020-05-16 firmware and this is all new to me so if there is something to look at or grab a picture to help then by all means let me know please
BillA

Post by BillA »

It could also have something to do with the carrier's IP assignment. Most carrier do not assign a public IP, instead they use an internal one. Even if it used to work prior to WE1326, it's possible that the carrier has made some changes since.
If accessing your thermostat works from within the LAN, but not when trying to connect to it remotely, then it may be a carrier or double NAT'ing issue.
I would replace the WE1326 with your original hotspot just to see if you can access it remotely.
If you can then it's a hardware/software issue with the WE1326, and nothing to do with the carrier.
juavos00

Post by juavos00 »

BillA wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:22 am It could also have something to do with the carrier's IP assignment. Most carrier do not assign a public IP, instead they use an internal one. Even if it used to work prior to WE1326, it's possible that the carrier has made some changes since.
If accessing your thermostat works from within the LAN, but not when trying to connect to it remotely, then it may be a carrier or double NAT'ing issue.
I would replace the WE1326 with your original hotspot just to see if you can access it remotely.
If you can then it's a hardware/software issue with the WE1326, and nothing to do with the carrier.
Yes, I can access it while the other hotspot is connected which leads me to believe it is a firewall or setting I need to adjust. Is it worth testing if I undo the changes I made to the WE1326 while trying to put it in DMZ mode and see if then it connects? I read online that Honeywell thermostats don't like static IP address' which is what I believe you do in the guide Jim wrote.
BillA

Post by BillA »

juavos00 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:21 am Yes, I can access it while the other hotspot is connected which leads me to believe it is a firewall or setting I need to adjust. Is it worth testing if I undo the changes I made to the WE1326 while trying to put it in DMZ mode and see if then it connects? I read online that Honeywell thermostats don't like static IP address' which is what I believe you do in the guide Jim wrote.

I would start from scratch by reflashing the router, disable DHCP, enable DMZ, and connect it to your main router.
Before testing the thermostat make sure you can browse the web to avoid wasting a bunch of time.
juavos00

Post by juavos00 »

Im sorry Bill but I dont really know where to start on reflashing the router. I bought this unit and it was pre-configured for me, except I did the DMZ part after I received it.

Today I connected my phone, thermostat and pc to my M1100 nighthawk and was able to control it and change the temperature etc. One thing I noticed was the ip address was 192.168.xxx.xx connected to the hawk; whereas when I connect it to my home network Linksys router it gives it an ip of 10.174.xxx.xx dont know if that matters.
juavos00

Post by juavos00 »

If anyone cares I just wanted to update my post. I got tired of messing with the settings and didn’t really want to reflash the router as I didn’t think that was the true problem; instead I decided to ditch the thermostat and start over. I read many reviews that a lot of the Honeywell thermostats have connectivity issues and most recommended the ecobee3 lite which is what I picked up on the way home today. Installed it and within a minute we’re flying away connected and I have remote access. Want to thank all of you that contributed and helped with the information, but for now we’re done!

This topic may be closed
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Closed in spirit :)
BillA

Post by BillA »

Guess we can now turn the thermostat down on this topic. ;D
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »