Good Antenna Options?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
JoshKelly

Good Antenna Options?

Post by JoshKelly »

Hey all, I am in need of some recommendations on an antenna setup, just purchased a new home and it is heavily wooded with tall 15 year old pines. Would like to keep the antenna and cable under $150 if possible, I am predicting about 25' of cable needed.

I currently have this modem: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VX ... =UTF8&th=1

With the EP06-A modem

I currently run on the unlimited AT&T tablet plan, I would like to be able to switch to t-mobile or another carrier and this antenna setup be able to work as well just in case I get canceled, with all the tablet plans being canceled lately(seeing from other posts). It would be nice to be able to have the option to switch to a CDMA carrier (like US Cellular) too but I think maybe I'd have to buy a new modem?

Currently I band lock 30 because this provides the best speeds in my area.

The nearest tower to me is about 4.5 miles as the crow fly's (another one about 18 miles), and is over three hills (no line of sight)

Currently without an antenna I get about 25 down average. Which matches my phone. If I step out into the open with my phone I get 65 down for an average (oneplus 7 pro), I don't have the option to place an antenna in the open (not my property). I don't know if I need a directional antenna setup or an omni.

I plan to mount this antenna setup either on a pole concreted in the ground or a pole off the peak of my house, leaning towards the peak of my house.

Any advise would be great!

Thanks so much,
Josh
Viper67857

Re: Good Antenna Options?

Post by Viper67857 »

That modem has CA so band-locking is possibly throttling your speeds. You'll want to open up any other 'good' bands to see if it will aggregate onto them (if your tower supports them). Bands 2 and 4 especially should be open.

For antennas, you'll want a pair of lpdas or yagis mounted at +-45deg or a single flat panel mimo with 2 outputs. The first option will probably give you better penetration through the trees. I doubt either option will come in below your budget, though, especially if you can't locate your modem closer to the antenna to save on cable. Lmr400 will be needed for long runs and it isn't cheap. Also, definitely go with the roof.. Higher is better.
SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

Re: Good Antenna Options?

Post by SliverGT »

I'm also in a heavily wooded area and have found the flat panel antennas work the best.
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... l-antenna/

Return to “Questions and Support”