CBA850 with external router

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
steveg

CBA850 with external router

Post by steveg »

OK, so i'm having a big time brain fart going on here. Simply trying to connect an Asus RT-N66 to my Cradlepoint CBA850 and having a heck of a time getting them to talk. Have tried all different ways such as through LAN port with router assigned static address on asus wan of the 850, connected to WAN port, tried IP passthrough, pretty much everything I know of and still can't get the connection between the two to take.

Ultimately would like to have the asus as the only DHCP server if that is possible. Thought IP passthrough would do it but again no communication between the two.

Have read the tutorials, searched online, checked on cradlepoint site. Couldn't find anything with specific instructions on how to do this. What am I doing wrong? Feel pretty stupid right now and probably very simple. Help!

Edit: Sorry, should have posted this in the router section. Feel free to move it if possible. Man I'm having a bad Monday!
steveg

Re: CBA850 with external router

Post by steveg »

Well, I guess the only way is in access point mode unless someone knows a way to get the external router to work in normal DHCP mode with CBA850 DHCP disabled. Never could get passthrough to work. Followed 2 different guides.

1. http://blog.industrialnetworking.com/2018/09/cradlepoint-cba850-first-time-setup.html

2. http://blog.industrialnetworking.com/2015/05/configure-ip-passthrough-on-cradlepoint.html
A.Bursell

Post by A.Bursell »

Not sure exactly what you're having trouble with, maybe need more detail? About the only problem I could really think of is if your CP and Asus have the same IP. But essentially whether you have the CP set to DHCP or IP Passthrough you should be able to plug it into the WAN port of your Asus and have it talk. I would suggest resetting everything and starting over using the guide off this site (which is really just a couple suggestions). Set up for IP Passthrough (2nd port) and your router should just work. I have three set this way right now.

Otherwise, post more details please.
steveg

Post by steveg »

A.Bursell wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:54 pm But essentially whether you have the CP set to DHCP or IP Passthrough you should be able to plug it into the WAN port of your Asus and have it talk.
That's what I thought too but not so for me, Only thing I haven't done is a total reset on the 850 but not ready to go down that road right now. Kinda burnt out on it but will maybe give it go eventually, but can suffer through AP mode on the Asus for now, at least I have WiFi. Thanks for the reply, wish I hadn't tried everything except the reset already.
steveg

Post by steveg »

Success! For whatever reason simply could not get the RT-N66 to connect to the Cradlepoint with stock, Merlin or Goldenorb firmware. One last attempt with Tomato and it worked. Yippee! Didn't have to mess with anything just used the passthrough port on 850 to the WAN on the Asus and it connected no problem. Just plain couldn't get any of the others to do it no matter what I tried. Glad to finally have the wireless going.
steveg

Post by steveg »

Well, the tomato setup started acting up, would intermittently lose internet and access to the 850 from the router. So, I broke down and flashed the newest Asus firmware for the RT-N66U and it seems stable since this morning so will see if it lasts. Can say it definitely appears any 3rd party firmware that I've tried either completely breaks ip passthrough with the 850 or becomes very unstable. Hopefully the Asus firmware will hold steady.

Weird but the older Asus firmware I tried in my earlier attempts didn't want to work either. Didn't see anything in the changelog for newest firmware addressing any passthrough issues. Scratching my head.
steveg

Post by steveg »

So I couldn't leave things alone and had to get to the bottom of this. What is killing the internet connection in all the different firmware I tried is when Traffic Monitoring>Enable IP Traffic(per IP monitoring) is enabled. It seems the translation is broken if in IP passthrough mode the cba850, at least with my 2 Asus routers. Kind of a bummer as that feature is one reason I use the Asus routers but is what it is. Anyway happy I figured out what caused it and wanted to share with anyone here who might ru into the problem.

BTW it works fine for monitoring usage totals per day, etc., but not per local IP address.
Suhas2000
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Suhas2000 »

Hi Steveg,

I'm a total noob so please bear with me.
I use Verizon jetpack for the internet in my house and recently purchased a used CBA850 MC400LPE on eBay. When I put the VZW sim in 850, none of my devices would recognize it as wifi, but I could get internet through the ethernet connection to my laptop.
I do have a Netgear AC1200 router and was wondering if I could hook it up to the 850 and use it instead like you did.
Like I said, I've no idea what I'm doing but would like to learn.
Thank you in advance!

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”