Converting a 4G LTE antenna into a long range Wifi antenna?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
DeUndefined1
Has thanked: 0

Converting a 4G LTE antenna into a long range Wifi antenna?

Post by DeUndefined1 »

I have two sets of 88dbi 4G LTE antennas. One with ts9 connectors for my sprint mifi 8000 and the other with SMA connectors for my Netgear nighthawk X4 running openwrt. The TS9 antenna works great especially on a dish, I've detuned this just a bit by weatherproofing it and upgrading to a bigger black dish network reflector and the speeds are amazingly fast. But since these antennas are wifi certified, is it possible that I can convert my SMA antenna into a long range 2.4ghz wifi antenna for my Netgear?
BillA

Re: Converting a 4G LTE antenna into a long range Wifi antenna?

Post by BillA »

It might work, but the only way to find out for sure is by trying it. ;)
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

There are hundreds of articles online about the subject of using old satellite dish for wifi. Example: https://www.skifactz.com/wifi/?p=159

I have used them for 4G LTE 2100MHz (pics somewhere here on antenna forum) and they perform pretty good.

Just keep in mind that it will be VERY directional. They are better used for long distance links.
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

And that was my mistake is that these are designed for urban areas. However given that it's hard to actually find a good working antenna that there's a reason for me to detuned these. That way I have a stable connection even through rough weather. Very very powerful. Here's my concept for just my sprint lte internet. I haven't hooked up my black reflector up or my sma antenna just yet because I'm trying to make sure I have everything I need to really get these to work well. Right now the ts9 it's taped around the empty factory directv lnb. Don't really need screws towards plastic so I broken down the factory lnb that's had been installed here at home. I've also found a broken coaxial cable here that I had to strip down so I can used the white rg316 weather cover.. blended nicely, but I wasn't really trying to have extra gain nor trying to make it perfect with the original tin foil inside the cable. But it worked. All I needed to do now is duct the front end of both so that way it can filter out the assessive gain. Also I cut and added tin foil from the side to the back of both antenna so that way it can also filter out any other signal such as sprint or TMobile lte devices nearby or any nearby satellite cable users since they're facing forward and being directional. But for now I've just covered the ts9 antenna in a plastic snap bag. There's cobwebs I'm trying to figure out with my Netgear nighthawk X4 is getting the 5ghz antenna working onto that. Need help upon that but everything else is working fine, as a start. But the purpose for the black reflector so it can also filter out any extra gains. But it's keeping the antenna cooler which helps create a stable connection. I'll just do a video when I have the antennas side by side onto the bigger dish. But if anybody that knows more information on the nighthawk X4 5ghz drivers working on openwrt please contact me. Thanks.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

DeUndefined1 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 pm And that was my mistake is that these are designed for urban areas. However given that it's hard to actually find a good working antenna that there's a reason for me to detuned these. That way I have a stable connection even through rough weather. Very very powerful. Here's my concept for just my sprint lte internet. I haven't hooked up my black reflector up or my sma antenna just yet because I'm trying to make sure I have everything I need to really get these to work well. Right now the ts9 it's taped around the empty factory directv lnb. Don't really need screws towards plastic so I broken down the factory lnb that's had been installed here at home. I've also found a broken coaxial cable here that I had to strip down so I can used the white rg316 weather cover.. blended nicely, but I wasn't really trying to have extra gain nor trying to make it perfect with the original tin foil inside the cable. But it worked. All I needed to do now is duct the front end of both so that way it can filter out the assessive gain. Also I cut and added tin foil from the side to the back of both antenna so that way it can also filter out any other signal such as sprint or TMobile lte devices nearby or any nearby satellite cable users since they're facing forward and being directional. But for now I've just covered the ts9 antenna in a plastic snap bag. There's cobwebs I'm trying to figure out with my Netgear nighthawk X4 is getting the 5ghz antenna working onto that. Need help upon that but everything else is working fine, as a start. But the purpose for the black reflector so it can also filter out any extra gains. But it's keeping the antenna cooler which helps create a stable connection. I'll just do a video when I have the antennas side by side onto the bigger dish. But if anybody that knows more information on the nighthawk X4 5ghz drivers working on openwrt please contact me. Thanks.
Please do not take offense, but very difficult to read when you do not make paragraphs. Old folks like myself lose where we are and give up...
BillA

Post by BillA »

terryjett wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:13 pm Please do not take offense, but very difficult to read when you do not make paragraphs. Old folks like myself lose where we are and give up...
You mean TL;DR ;D
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

Lol it's cool BillA. I'm pretty new to this stuff anyway so I'll just reclaify.

Basically I have this $15/mth low income internet. Only downside is that it's using Sprint 4G LTE only. Good thing that's its now being converted into the new T-Mobile.

There focus is really 4G LTE and 5G. So my plan was to ditch Cable internet and ridge up my own. You just got to be able to know what's needed for your project.

So I've bought 2 seperate but identical high gain antennas because

1) even though I stay in a rural area, the weather is bad here.

2) I needed something thats identical but have 2 different tasks.

And 3) it's just something different and it's fun to mess around with.

But Sprints deal was that I have to purchase the device through that specific party, and ive did just that. The mifi 8000. With Cat18 technology, Dual band technology, and Carrier Aggregation (Baby 5G).

But I have an internet home phone, my hdhomerun and my Iptv that rely only on hard wired connections for my home. So I purchase this Netgear nighthawk X4 and flash openwrt and plugged this up to my Ethernet Jack of my home.

Openwrt Which can accept the mifi as an USB modem. Only issue is that with this specific openwrt software, it doesn't include 5ghz. Only 2.4ghz. that's my only issue at the moment is the router, but the purpose for the 2nd (SMA) antenna so I can have a long range 2.4 wifi. Which my router supports load balancing.

But besides my trouble with getting the 5ghz to work, I've tested everything and I should be good to go once I have the nighthawk working fully. Again I'll do a video once I have everything together. 🙂
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

@BillA - funny man :) But yea, my old eyes do not work like they use to.

If I had a spare ethernet port, would simply plug in one of these:

5GHz - https://amzn.to/2Ztya5x
2.4GHz - https://amzn.to/2XgCJ0g

If you want to convert old LTE antenna, there is not much to it. Your best bet is to have antenna that covers higher frequency only, like https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... i-antenna/

The example antenna covers 2400MHz (2.4GHz) to 2700MHz. Since WiFi is 2.4GHz, the antenna is perfect fit for WiFi. Nothing really to do but attach with proper connectors / adapters.

5GHz is possible, but by the time you did all the mods, simply buying WiFi antenna would be cheaper.

BTW: where did you find "88dbi 4G LTE antennas"? Care to share the name and where you bought?

Return to “Questions and Support”