Raspberry Pi3+ | EM7565 Error

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
pistolaro2

Raspberry Pi3+ | EM7565 Error

Post by pistolaro2 »

I've been testing my new config, and experiencing some modem disconnects. I'm new, and have spent a fair amount of time researching, without success. When I attempt to use the internet, the modem disconnects, and then a few minutes later connects back again. Sometimes, never connects and I have to restart Pi.

The USB enclosure is flashing green and it would appear the red LED is always on. (not sure if this is relevant)

SIM card works fine in a 'rootered' MOFI 4500.

Admittedly, I have poor signal in the house while testing - I'm testing it before putting outside in final config with PoE.

Raspberry Pi3+ w/ Rooter
USB 3.0 enclosure
EM7565

I keep seeing this error in the debug: (not sure if it's related - however it seems to puke after this)

AT+C5GREG=2;+C5GREG?;+C5GREG=0
ERROR

Then later:
/dev/ttyUSB2 Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB2.

The modem will then disconnect and then reconnect.

I have reloaded the Pi several times, doesn't seem to help. (i have not 'reflashed' the Pi)

I have NOT reloaded the modem or reflashed it. I did run AT commands to create band lock, but removed the group after.

!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 350 Temperature: 29
Reset Counter: 18 Mode: ONLINE
System mode: LTE PS state: Attached
LTE band: B4 LTE bw: 20 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 2300 LTE Tx chan: 20300
LTE SSC1 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC2 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC3 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC4 state:NOT ASSIGNED
EMM state: Registered Normal Service
RRC state: RRC Connected
IMS reg state: No Srv

PCC RxM RSSI: -86 PCC RxM RSRP: -115
PCC RxD RSSI: -82 PCC RxD RSRP: -111
Tx Power: 23 TAC: 777a (30586)
RSRQ (dB): -11.3 Cell ID: 01109d03 (17865987)
SINR (dB): 5.6

OK
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Raspberry Pi3+ | EM7565 Error

Post by JimHelms »

It sounds like a power issue, or lack thereof, going to the modem.

The errors are no concern, they are just not compatible with that particular modem.
pistolaro2

Post by pistolaro2 »

Thanks Jim.

I shot 48 volts of PoE to my RPi, didn't realize that it didn't auto power.

Will inspect RPi further.

Any way to test the USB to verify it's working correctly w/o the Pi from a Mac or a 'rootered' mofi 4500 that still has the modem in it?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

You can order a USB digital voltage/amp meter from Amazon for around $10 to $15.

They also have a pass-through design where you can watch the voltage and amps as they feed through to the USB Device.
pistolaro2

Post by pistolaro2 »

I will order the usb amp meter, thank you.

I'm worried I may have damaged the usb enclosure w/ the installed EM7565, can I hook it via usb to a we826 (that already has a 7455 modem in it) to verify it's not impaired?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

The USB meter is simply a device that can plug into any USB port on a router or PC.

You can then plug a USB device (i.e., USB to M.2 adapter) into the output of the meter to measure the voltage and amps being supplied by the router or PC, into the USB device.

Hopefully, you did not damage your enclosure or modem.
pistolaro2

Post by pistolaro2 »

Im clear on usb meter and I will test the RPi.

I need to test the enclosure and em7565. I have another router, a we826 that already has a 6455 installed. It’s running rooter and works fine with the 6455.

I’d like to connect the new enclosure (that was connected to the Pi) via usb to the 826 to make sure it’s functional. Will that work to test the 7565?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I do not see where it would hurt to try hooking it behind the WE826.

Just make sure the power adapter you are using on the WE826 can power both the EM7565 and MC7455.

Just for testing purposes, you can also download and install the Sierra Wireless generic driver SOFTWARE for Windows and plug the USB3 with the EM7565 into the PC.

Just remove the SIM Card where it will not try to connect. But you should be able to use PuTTy to access the modem and run some commands.
pistolaro2

Post by pistolaro2 »

Well, after a tough day of trying to get my MIMO antenna's connected outside - I just couldn't get my RSRP up to acceptable - I gave up after working on it for 5 hours! I'll try again next weekend.

Do you know, is there a MAC version of the sierra software?

New PI comes tomorrow, new USB power meter comes Tuesday! I'll get the RPi running and report back.
pistolaro2

Post by pistolaro2 »

Update:

I decided to order a new Pi, didn't have time to test the USB3 with modem from a windows machine. (says the Mac owner)

I received the new Pi and configured and installed and still experienced the modem disconnects.

In addition I ordered ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JY ... UTF8&psc=1 ) and verified power output from RPi 3b+ was working as designed. (it was)

I realized that the modem disconnects came when I was putting any volume of data through the modem installed in the USB3 enclosure (vs random disconnects that I originally thought)

I also restored the EM7565 to OEM settings using the following commands:
at!entercnd="A710"
at!RMARESET=1

The band locks I had created were removed and while I was connecting to bands I don't want - I was still experiencing disconnects.

I did not test the USB3 behind the we826.

Instead I added another USB cable from RPi to USB3 enclosure (thus using two USB ports on Pi) and that seems to have solved the modem disconnect issues.

I've been testing all day, no disconnects!

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”