New WE826-T some observations and questions

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
dltccf
Has thanked: 0

New WE826-T some observations and questions

Post by dltccf »

I recently purchased a WE826 along with an EM7565 after using a mofi 4500 for a couple of years. I sold the mofi to a friend who wanted service like I had. I had the AT&T service from netbuddy and looked around for other options. I like to build things myself so this seemed a good route.
observations:
The service from The Wireless Haven was superfast. I ordered on Saturrday before Easter and received it on Monday. Way to go The Wireless Haven.

Assembling the parts was fairly simple and straightforward. The tutorials on here were very helpful.

The mofi seemed to be a little more stable. I haven't yet determined it it is the software or the modem. I will keep investigating.

The wifi is worse than bad. I have tried a host of settings and nothing improves wifi performance. The only way to improve it is to not use it. I plugged an old 8 year old Actiontec router with one missing antenna downstream on the ethernet port and it consistently gets twice the throughput as the built in wifi. I switched back and forth between the wifis and no question, always twice the throughput, and not on speeds high enough that it should tax either device. for instance, 9/6mbps down/up using the WE826 wifi and 26/8Mbps down/up on the actiontec.

I'm running 1.08 firmware on the EM7565. Are there any features or fixes in the current 1.11 release that would warrant an update to it?

I like the 3 carrier aggregation on the 7565 vs the 7455. I see it finding and using B2, B4, B5, B13 and B66 on Verizon. I tried several options and settled on Visible after leaving the ATT ipad plan. Getting good service so far from Visible and the price is right.

I can't get bandwidth monitoring to work at all. I am on the 03/07 release of WIFIX. any suggestions?

A new tower is going up less than 2 miles away with LOS. No work on adding antennas since the shutdown. Really looking forward to some improvements in speeds when that happens.
2020-04-16 11_11_38-Speedtest.png
2020-04-16 11_09_13-Speedtest.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Re: New WE826-T some observations and questions

Post by Didneywhorl »

Show us the command output of

Code: Select all

AT!GSTATUS?
while you are doing a speed test please. Might give us more info.

The AT Command terminal is under Modem --> Miscellaneous

Copy and paste the text here.

The WE826 wifi is garbaggio for most people. Its actually pretty decent on mine, but the throughput is restrictive to say the least. This unit shines on cost and use of the LAN ports. It works great as a Modem host and LAN router.

I don't know enough about the differences of the firmwares to answer. Maybe someone else can.
dltccf

Post by dltccf »

AT!GSTATUS?
!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 57369 Temperature: 60
Reset Counter: 1 Mode: ONLINE
System mode: LTE PS state: Attached
LTE band: B13 LTE bw: 10 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 5230 LTE Tx chan: 23230
LTE SSC1 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC2 state:ACTIVE LTE SSC2 band: B2
LTE SSC2 bw : 10 MHz LTE SSC2 chan: 1100
LTE SSC3 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC4 state:NOT ASSIGNED
EMM state: Registered Normal Service
RRC state: RRC Connected
IMS reg state: No Srv

PCC RxM RSSI: -84 PCC RxM RSRP: -98
PCC RxD RSSI: -86 PCC RxD RSRP: -95
SCC2 RxM RSSI: -77 SCC2 RxM RSRP: -106
SCC2 RxD RSSI: -80 SCC2 RxD RSRP: -108
Tx Power: 5 TAC: 7401 (29697)
RSRQ (dB): -12.0 Cell ID: 01c52b02 (29698818)
SINR (dB): 5.2
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Are you testing speeds over wifi or LAN? I NEVER test speeds over wifi, and on this unit its like 1/3 as fast or worse. Always test over LAN. Also, your signal is less than desirable, You many want to tweak your location or look into stronger antennas. I like to use the info here https://usatcorp.com/faqs/understanding ... th-values/ as a basic guide for signal numbers.
dltccf

Post by dltccf »

yes, I made that very point in my original post. Speed is 3x as much when I hook an 8 year old actiontec with a missing antenna to the ethernet port and use its wifi instead.

yes, I have a pair of external yagi antennas on a pole that blew down in a severe windstorm a few weeks ago. I'm trying to decide whether to fix it or wait until new antennas go in on a new cell tower that is being built less than 2 miles away. I thought they would get to the tower work quickly, but haven't seen any work there recently for some strange reason.

Any thoughts on the firmware upgrade from 1,08 to 1.11? Anyone done that and seen any difference?

How about bandwidth monitoring, anyone using that?

thanks
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Sorry, Ive been answering so many people I tend to forget the back post details.

Ive not messed with the bandwidth monitor. That may be a question for the r00ter creators, over at Ofmodemsandmen.com
optymyze

Post by optymyze »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:57 pm Sorry, Ive been answering so many people I tend to forget the back post details.

Ive not messed with the bandwidth monitor. That may be a question for the r00ter creators, over at Ofmodemsandmen.com
Is the ofmodemsandmen.com website down for you? I get a “User bandwidth exceeded” message anytime I visit it...
dltccf

Post by dltccf »

i got the bandwidth message also.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

optymyze wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:12 pm Is the ofmodemsandmen.com website down for you? I get a “User bandwidth exceeded” message anytime I visit it...
Yes, same here. Seems to happen about once a month these days. My bet is the owner needs more donations to keep the free service running... I myself have got to remember to check and see if he does take them...
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Since the shutdowns, his American side traffic to the site has more than doubled. Theyre working on it.
dltccf

Post by dltccf »

That was what I figured too. Planned to check back after the 1st of the month.
DKyork
Been thanked: 0

Post by DKyork »

I'm still trying to get Visible to work on the MBR1400 i bought from The Wireless Haven. No luck so far trying to the simple things like APN name change.

I'm not sure if it's possible on the MBR1400, but the wireless is really great.

Take care,

Dale
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

DKyork wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:51 pm I'm still trying to get Visible to work on the MBR1400 i bought from The Wireless Haven. No luck so far trying to the simple things like APN name change.

I'm not sure if it's possible on the MBR1400, but the wireless is really great.

Take care,

Dale
There are several topics about using Visible on the Cradlepoint. Might try using the search bar tool, or start a new topic.
FreeRangeRedneck

Post by FreeRangeRedneck »

dltccf wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:57 pm yes, I made that very point in my original post. Speed is 3x as much when I hook an 8 year old actiontec with a missing antenna to the ethernet port and use its wifi instead.

yes, I have a pair of external yagi antennas on a pole that blew down in a severe windstorm a few weeks ago. I'm trying to decide whether to fix it or wait until new antennas go in on a new cell tower that is being built less than 2 miles away. I thought they would get to the tower work quickly, but haven't seen any work there recently for some strange reason.

Any thoughts on the firmware upgrade from 1,08 to 1.11? Anyone done that and seen any difference?

How about bandwidth monitoring, anyone using that?

thanks
I was swapping between a WE826/EM7565 with generic 1.08 and another with generic 1.11
The speed tests were very similar with both. Carrier Sprint. Tower 7 miles LOS. 80Mbps
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

dltccf wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:57 pm How about bandwidth monitoring, anyone using that?
The bandwidth monitoring is not working because the new directly to hold the bandwidth logs is not being created in the latest build.

According to Dairyman:
The missing folder in the Bandwidth Monitor is very strange since that package has not been changed in a long time.

The folder is not created directly by the mkdir command but by using touch with a file that is created in this folder. This should create both the folder and the file which it has done in the past.

This leads me to believe that the touch command has been changed in the latest OpenWrt version. This has happened before, notably with the killall command that required us to create our own command.

The quick fix is to add a line to /opt/WRTbmon/wrtbwmon.sh after line 11

Code: Select all

mkdir -p $backPath
This will create the folder when the monitor is activated.
You can use WinSCP to gain access to the file to add the script.
docderwood

Post by docderwood »

Any chance someone could walk me through this with more detail?

I'm able to ssh into my WG3526-P fine, but when it comes to adding the command/etc to enable bandwidth monitoring.....no luck.

Would like to maintain monthly bandwidth with a reset on the 3rd of each month, is this even possible?

thx
dj

JimHelms wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:43 am The bandwidth monitoring is not working because the new directly to hold the bandwidth logs is not being created in the latest build.

According to Dairyman:

You can use WinSCP to gain access to the file to add the script.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That's big brain stuff way above me, I'd love to know too. :)
docderwood

Post by docderwood »

So, I downloaded WinSCP and used the instructions from there to connect to the router:

https://ofmodemsandmen.com/winscp.html

Then I go to that file on the router and look at it, I get the below.....I have tried to highlight line 11 below.

I guess you add after line 11 and save to the router?

BTW: CODE: SELECT ALL does not get copied/pasted.

HELP:)

CODE: SELECT ALL
mkdir -p $backPath

#!/bin/sh

LAN_TYPE=$(uci get network.lan.ipaddr | awk -F. ' { print $1"."$2 }')
LEASES_FILE=/tmp/dhcp.leases
lockDir=/tmp/WRTbmon

[ ! -d "$lockDir" ] && mkdir "$lockDir"
basePath="/tmp/bwmon/"
mkdir -p $basePath"data"
dataPath=$basePath"data/"
backPath=/opt/WRTbmon/data/
STARTIMEX=$(date +%s)
STARTIMEY=$(date +%s)
STARTIMEZ=$(date +%s)
cYear=$(date +%Y)
cDay=$(date +%d)
cMonth=$(date +%m)
setup_time=60
update_time=300
backup_time=1200
pause=30
unlimited="peak"

Didneywhorl wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:48 pm That's big brain stuff way above me, I'd love to know too. :)
docderwood

Post by docderwood »

FYI...The below worked! I'll see if I can figure out how to make it reset on the 3rd of the month at some point. Hope this helps someone.

docderwood wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:50 pm So, I downloaded WinSCP and used the instructions from there to connect to the router:

https://ofmodemsandmen.com/winscp.html

Then I go to that file on the router and look at it, I get the below.....I have tried to highlight line 11 below.

I guess you add after line 11 and save to the router?

BTW: CODE: SELECT ALL does not get copied/pasted.

HELP:)

CODE: SELECT ALL
mkdir -p $backPath

#!/bin/sh

LAN_TYPE=$(uci get network.lan.ipaddr | awk -F. ' { print $1"."$2 }')
LEASES_FILE=/tmp/dhcp.leases
lockDir=/tmp/WRTbmon

[ ! -d "$lockDir" ] && mkdir "$lockDir"
basePath="/tmp/bwmon/"
mkdir -p $basePath"data"
dataPath=$basePath"data/"
backPath=/opt/WRTbmon/data/
STARTIMEX=$(date +%s)
STARTIMEY=$(date +%s)
STARTIMEZ=$(date +%s)
cYear=$(date +%Y)
cDay=$(date +%d)
cMonth=$(date +%m)
setup_time=60
update_time=300
backup_time=1200
pause=30
unlimited="peak"
dltccf

Post by dltccf »

Thanks, that makes bandwidth monitoring work on my router also.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Hmm... I wonder if you could just create the missing folder from a "Telnet 23" root prompt, like this:

root:~# mkdir -p $backPath

Or maybe the firmware needs it create it on the fly every time the Bandwidth Monitor is activated.
Either way, it's not too difficult to do.
koop78

Post by koop78 »

docderwood wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:51 am Any chance someone could walk me through this with more detail?

I'm able to ssh into my WG3526-P fine, but when it comes to adding the command/etc to enable bandwidth monitoring.....no luck.

Would like to maintain monthly bandwidth with a reset on the 3rd of each month, is this even possible?

thx
dj
It's possible - I don't know which bandwidth monitor is packaged with ROOter but for bandwidth monitoring needs I use wrtbwmon with the luci-frontend installed. Works fine you could script and reset usage but for me I just hit reset using wrtbwmon on whtver day I start and end.

If you do decide to use wrtbwmon with luci you can get the instruction here on what to install and how to deploy here:
https://github.com/Kiougar/luci-wrtbwmon

After installation it is under Network > Usage from there you can reset the usage monthly w/e.

*yamon works well and is scripted to the reset day you select - but uses it's own frontend and can't run w/ luci as far as I know.
omackey

Post by omackey »

Added the line and had to disable Monitoring and then reenable before it started working.

Worked immediately after that.

Thank you
Rrutl

Post by Rrutl »

I hope this question isnt too off topic for this thread, Im looking for a way to monitor my actual data usage on the WE826 router with rooter firmware. Im setting up a data plan and the third party provider doesn't have a data monitor on their website. Somehow I doubt that connection monitor settings would accomplish this or as referenced herein bandwidth monitor would either , however I speak from a point of disadvantege since I haven't employed either (or if it's the same thing) yet. My data plan is significantly higher than than what Ive had in recent past, but nonetheless I'd like to keep track of it. Any help would be TIA.

Return to “ZBT Routers”