Mofi 4500 and Verizon- email not working

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
littleboss
Has thanked: 0

Mofi 4500 and Verizon- email not working

Post by littleboss »

Hi

I have a mofi 4500 set up on Verizon. Everything works fine other than email. Tried turning off the firewall but made no difference.

Suggestions?

Thanks
BillA

Re: Mofi 4500 and Verizon- email not working

Post by BillA »

First I would try to access the email through another internet source (cable, dsl, etc) just to see if it's an issue with your web main client. If that works then it's likely carrier/router related.
Are you using an email client on your pc, or a web-mail like gmail?
It could have something to do with the email ports being blocked (POP, IMAP) by your carrier.
Try accessing it through web-mail if available.
littleboss

Post by littleboss »

Outlook (not web based) on my computer or my security camera NVR would not work on Verizon but do with my home internet source. So I know it's a Verizon or mofi issue

I set up my yahoo email in the security camera nvr to port 25 and enabled SSL or TSL. Also turned off the firewall and firewall scripts in the Mofi. Now email works through my nvr but if I try to check my home computer's email through Verizon -Outlook doesn't work. Yahoo through the web portal on my computer does.
BillA

Post by BillA »

littleboss wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:02 pm Outlook (not web based) on my computer or my security camera NVR would not work on Verizon but do with my home internet source. So I know it's a Verizon or mofi issue

I set up my yahoo email in the security camera nvr to port 25 and enabled SSL or TSL. Also turned off the firewall and firewall scripts in the Mofi. Now email works through my nvr but if I try to check my home computer's email through Verizon -Outlook doesn't work. Yahoo through the web portal on my computer does.

Well yeah web based email should work since it doesn't have the same port restrictions as a client.
It seems to be something with Verizon blocking certain ports, and one way to bypass it is by using a VPN which would tunnel through their server. For testing purposes, you could set a up a freebie one just to see if it works.
littleboss

Post by littleboss »

Thanks

For some reason it's now working on my Security NVR. I had disabled the firewall and all firewall scripts in the mofi and it started working. Went back and turned them back on one at a time and still working.

Just checked Outlook on my computer and it's working now too. Not sure what would have changed as it hasn't worked for the last three days. Only thing I can think of it the Mofi had been unplugged for several days. Maybe they had to "find" it again and enable something? Having said that data has worked since I plugged it back in.

Thanks. If it gives me trouble again will try a VPN

Return to “General and Unclassified”