WE826-T2 MC7455 using (hotspot) data

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
RockyinNM

WE826-T2 MC7455 using (hotspot) data

Post by RockyinNM »

Hello All,
I will get straight to the problem. I had been running a (WE826-T2/MC7455) with great success last year. I moved to the big city, and put my (WE826), away, as the Verizon signal sucked BAD, and so I went with Xfinity.

I run a (Verizon unlimited tablet sim card)—for $8.50 @ month-(not bad)

I had the (826) hard wired to my win 10 desktop, and a win 7 laptop connected wireless/wifi, all worked great-with NO, hotspot data used, as I would check , my Verizon account to make sure, often!

So, about 3 months ago, I had a trip coming up with a lot of down time, so I took the (826), with a NEW HP win 10 laptop, ran some movies through it, and then checked my Verizon account—and dang, it was using (hotspot data) really!! So I tried both wifi, and hard wired to router, same thing???? ALL hot spot data.

Came home and tested the older HP laptop with win 7, ran it both hard wired, and wifi—with a bunch of movie/data—and it all showed up as regular unlimited data.

I, then re tested the newer HP laptop win 10, because I was going what the cluck!@!??---It ALL showed up as (hotspot) use???

I then took a tablet I have, and ran it on wifi through the (826), it used the regular unlimited data??

I'm really open to any thoughts or ideas, is it some (setting) in the newer HP-

I know it sounds crazy???
PS--in the very beginning I changed my (TTL) to 117---that is how I have always run it!

Thanks, Rocky
MrJeff01
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: WE826-T2 MC7455 using (hotspot) data

Post by MrJeff01 »

I am also really curious about this as well. Mine shows up on a postpaid VZ account as a "router" and my sim unlimited data plan but all my data shows up as hotspot data no matter what TTL I set it to in the firewall settings.

I tried every one of the TTL overrides just in case, then connect to it and stream Youtube to burn some data and check the next day. After changing the setting I power cycle the router.

I don't know if it has something to do with how VZ registered the SIM originally or if they somehow changed something. I guess I may try my iPad through it to see if that makes any difference as tablet data although I don't see how they would know...

If I get anywhere I'll let you know but I'm getting low on ideas as well
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

It has to be something with they way the newer devices package up their data. Maybe the older devices are not using ip6?
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

MrJeff01 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:42 pm I am also really curious about this as well. Mine shows up on a postpaid VZ account as a "router" and my sim unlimited data plan but all my data shows up as hotspot data no matter what TTL I set it to in the firewall settings.

I tried every one of the TTL overrides just in case, then connect to it and stream Youtube to burn some data and check the next day. After changing the setting I power cycle the router.

I don't know if it has something to do with how VZ registered the SIM originally or if they somehow changed something. I guess I may try my iPad through it to see if that makes any difference as tablet data although I don't see how they would know...

If I get anywhere I'll let you know but I'm getting low on ideas as well
Hello, and thanks for the response, Mr. Jeff--
Please check out some of my earlier/past post on using my Verizon sim--I went through some different things (money) to get it running unlimited---now cheap---got a deal where I got 2 tablets for the price of 1, (some promotion, never hurts to ask for deals)with a military discount.
I pay $8.50 per tablet, they are unlimited, with 15gb hotspot use--I use the one tablet minus sim,(sim in router) in shop on wifi, to play Sirius/xm radio.
Check out my posts, and if I can help in any way, just reach out.
Rocky----let us know how it goes.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:32 pm It has to be something with they way the newer devices package up their data. Maybe the older devices are not using ip6?
Thank you for the feedback/idea,
I did not build my router (bad eyes) (old man disclaimer!)--but--is there a (setting) within the router, or do you/anyone think it is in the device it's self?? (or maybe both??)

I will definitely poke around on the (laptop, and google, to see what I can turn up--I do not know much, (very little) on the subject of IPv4/IPv6--if any one has any thoughts along this problem of the newer HP laptop using hotspot data, no matter hard wired, or on wifi, please chime in--
Rocky, now in TN
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Something I have been experimenting with that @slacker shared is custom firewall below:

Code: Select all

#start naive newb fw
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end naive newb fw
Change 65 to 117 or try few different values.

Then I set custom DNS to Cloudflare's:

For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
For the WE826 custom DNS (under connect profile / advanced) I entered in the two IPv4 in first two fields and IPv6 in next two.

Not directly with postpaid Verizon plans any longer so mileage may vary. Worth a shot and you may learn something new along the way:)
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

terryjett wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:39 am Something I have been experimenting with that @slacker shared is custom firewall below:

#start naive newb fw
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end naive newb fw
Change 65 to 117 or try few different values.

Then I set custom DNS to Cloudflare's:

For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
For IPv6: 2606:4700:4700::1111 and 2606:4700:4700::1001
For the WE826 custom DNS (under connect profile / advanced) I entered in the two IPv4 in first two fields and IPv6 in next two.

Not directly with postpaid Verizon plans any longer so mileage may vary. Worth a shot and you may learn something new along the way:)
Thank you,
I checked the area that you have the (custom) IPv4/6--it is all blank---I will contemplate your suggestion----as I'm (hesitant) as I did not build router---and do not want it to take a dump--
It is just me and my inexperience-trying to learn.
Thanks
yes my custom TTL, is set to 117, as the other custom settings that are available, did not work for me with Verizon.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Thank you,
I checked the area that you have the (custom) IPv4/6--it is all blank---I will contemplate your suggestion----as I'm (hesitant) as I did not build router---and do not want it to take a dump--
It is just me and my inexperience-trying to learn.
Thanks
yes my custom TTL, is set to 117, as the other custom settings that are available, did not work for me with Verizon.
Entering / using these values is reversible without ill-effects. Doesn't work you simply remove. Your call.

The custom TTL set to 117 from dropdown does not seem to effect IPv6, so reason I gave you the custom rules for table.

For instance this in one of my WE826 for AT&T:
we826-custom-ttl.png
If there are any existing custom rules and suspect there are since you say set to 117 already, simply place a # sign in front of them, enter rules gave you and click the restart firewall. Do a test and see if helps. If not, reboot the WE826 and try again.

If that does not work, try the custom dns.

If it does not work, remove the changes you made, remove the # sign in from of your old rules and reboot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

I really appreciate all the tips and tricks---I will give it a go. MY router did not have the TTL 117 drop-down when I received it, but I added it later, (thanks to Jim Helms)
Do I put the # sign in front of #117--or is it front of the rules--as in your screen shot--as I suspect-lol
Rocky
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Do I put the # sign in front of #117--or is it front of the rules--as in your screen shot--as I suspect-lol
Rocky
Hey, nothing wrong with making sure you understand. I personally dislike to assume anything:)

Just like the screenshot. Before each line. For example, you decide later my way is not for you:

#start naive newb fw
#iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
#iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
#ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end naive newb fw
Remember: you can change the number values by simply replacing 65 with 117 or any other you wish to try.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The # at the beginning of the line makes the router ignore that line. Removing the # will make the router use that line.
BillA

Post by BillA »

RockyinNM wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:00 am So, about 3 months ago, I had a trip coming up with a lot of down time, so I took the (826), with a NEW HP win 10 laptop, ran some movies through it, and then checked my Verizon account—and dang, it was using (hotspot data) really!! So I tried both wifi, and hard wired to router, same thing???? ALL hot spot data.

Thanks, Rocky

Most likely it has to do with IPv4 vs IPv6 in the different Windows machines, here are a couple of suggestions.

You could try to disable IPv4 in the router under modem or network settings, by changing it to IPv4 only.
You could try to disable IPv4 in the modem too via the AT command

AT!CUSTOM="IPV6ENABLE",0
As a test, change the TTL on the pc for both IPv4/6 via these CMD commands:

netsh int ipv4 set global defaultcurhoplimit=117
netsh int ipv6 set global defaultcurhoplimit=117
Also, you could try to disable IPv6 in Windows under device manager for the interface you're using (modem driver, or ethernet) by unticking the check mark in front of "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TPC/IPv6)" and press OK.

Give us feedback so we can all learn.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

I wanted to thank all who replied, I'm going out of state for a couple of weeks and will NOT be able to test the ideas posted here. I will be taking my (ole win7 laptop) so I can watch what ever (unlimited-lol)
I would like to bring this thread back, when I get back.

I still find it VERY odd that my other (laptop/tablet) do NOT use hotspot data, and the (1) laptop does???
Still wondering if it could be a setting within the HP win 10 laptop?
Thanks, Rocky
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

I wanted to get back and report my progress, I was out of state foe a couple of weeks, so could not test.I want to give a BIG shout-out to (terryjett)--(please tell me how to give proper thanks on board--where to click??)
My custom rules were set like your example already, with the # sigh in front--and the TLL set to 117

So I thought I would give the custom DNS settings a try, And much to my amazement, it seemed to work
3 capture.PNG
but I would do (save and reboot, it would not keep the (2)IPv6 address in, where I put them---tried about (10) times, also would hit just the save button, they would be in there, but when I would close out the router, and come back the (2) IPv6 address would be blank??

The GOOD news is it is NOT using (hot-spot) data with my new HP laptop, I pushed about 50gb threw it, and NO hot-spot data was used!!! yea!! :) ;)

When I would hit the (save/reboot) button, it would just kinda blink and come back, and not the (count down) screen--what am I doing wrong?

Again, thanks to all, and terryjett for taking the time to help a noob out.
RockyinTN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

No need to thank, just help someone else when you can. To answer your question, the thumbs up button gives thanks.

You do not place a # in front if you wish the line to be active. Mine below is not set to 117, but as example mine is like:

#start naive newb fw
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 52
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 52
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 52
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 52
#end naive newb fw
As for saving the custom DNS, make sure you are using the "Save & Apply" button and not just the save.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

As for saving the custom DNS, make sure you are using the "Save & Apply" button and not just the save.
I did use the (save & apply) button, numerous times, and it would NOT save the (2) Ipv6 lines??
oh well it's working. :)
Rocky
BillA

Post by BillA »

RockyinNM wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:51 pm I did use the (save & apply) button, numerous times, and it would NOT save the (2) Ipv6 lines??
oh well it's working. :)
Rocky

It's probably saving it in the system, just not displaying it once it's rebooted. All that matters is that it works.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

BillA wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:11 am It's probably saving it in the system, just not displaying it once it's rebooted. All that matters is that it works.
You are probable correct, as I would go back, and log back in to the router, and click on the blank line where the intended address should be--and it would re-appear :)
thanks, Rocky
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

Hello fellow testers.
I was asked by a (few)ha ha, and share what it took to fix my router using hotspot data.

Running a WE826 T2, with a Post Paid Verizon unlimited Tablet plan.
2-Tablets, 50% discount—so around $8.50@ month.

Just a quick history, I put this into service around March of 2019, and it was using hotspot data, so some great members lined me out on how to change my TTL, from 65, to 117—I had tried all the settings from the drop down to no avail.
Worked great, and we were very remote in SW-New Mexico, then a long story short, we decided to move to TN.
We moved to a small town, Verizon signal was crap, so for the time being I got a high speed cable internet, Threw the ol WE826 in a box, and forgot about it.
So around April or May this year, we are going to visit kin folk in MO, so I get out the ole 826, and burn through a bunch of movies on my visit with my win 10 laptop 17” screen—and a day or two into the visit, I check my data, and dang I have burned through most of my 15 gig, hotspot data---what??

So, that had me scratching my head, got home and ran my old win 7 laptop, ALL is well—what?
I then loaned it to a friends wife, and she burned through about 50 gigs, no problem, dang story is getting longer.
So the testing bug got to me, and I reached out to the forum for help, as I just could not figure it out.
I checked all my DNS, places, and added them, thanks to members, I checked and unchecked all the Ipv6 areas on my computer, still no love.

I then started to look at the TTL options, I really did not know squat, thanks for the picture TJ, as I was lost as a ball in tall grass.
After much reading, I even capitalized my APN . What the heck, so then I tried TTL 64, made sure it returned a ping of TTL 64-late last night, and I have been pushing data through it @ about the rate of 2 gigs every 3 hours.

YEAH, no hotspot data used.
Kinda crazy, that moving 1500 miles or so to the E. changed things, it through me for a loop! Thanks to this site, and the search bar.
Rocky in TN—end of story

Return to “General and Unclassified”