Room for improvement?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
battletross
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Room for improvement?

Post by battletross »

Running a mofi4500 with 2 15dbi flat pannel antennas set up at a tower facing window in my basement. Connected to tmobile tower on a simple mobile plan. Tower is 3.11 miles away with no ground in the way. Probably hitting some trees on the edge of my property, but straight shot past that.

Based on these numbers is it worth:

A) Getting the antennas on the roof which would be roughly 20ft higher than they are now

B) Upgrading to something like a WG3526 + EM7565 and returning the mofi

Current speeds are roughly 35-55 down and 12-24 up depending on time of day and weather. Just trying to figure out if the signal quality numbers in the pic indicate that there is room for improvement to justify the cost of A and B. Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Re: Room for improvement?

Post by gscheb »

Hello
If you look at this chart your signal starts are pretty good already.
The RxM (which is the MAIN port on the modem) (which is the AUX [diversity] port on the modem)
Screenshot_20200423-013113.png
Don't know if you will see allot of improvement with antennas higher. But don't truly know untill you try it. Could get signal stats up too the green excellent level but don't know how much improvement you will see.
If you decide to try to get another modem to get get higher than 2 band Carrier aggregation remember need those bands to be available to make improvement.
I have T-Mobile and use bands 2 & 12. Only other bands available here is 71. The cost of a modem that does those three is not worth it in my opinion.
Interested to hear others opinions on this as well.

As a side note my signals are not as good as yours and my speeds are similar shown below. (Excluding upload)
Screenshot_20200423-090557.png
Screenshot_20200423-082912.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
battletross
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by battletross »

Thanks for the chart, that's definitely helpful.

I'm currently picking up bands 2/4/5/12, but 5 lists "no service" when i lock to it. 4 Seems to be available but the signal is too weak to use. I suppose if I upgrade the rig and put the antennas on the roof I may be able to take advantage of that extra band. Worth a try!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Antennas on the roof can also help you connect to other towers that may perform better. MAY ... or may not. ;)

Return to “Questions and Support”