Not sure where to put it, but could use some help with my LTE Setup

This a discussion place for anything related to wireless
OutIntheBoonies
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Not sure where to put it, but could use some help with my LTE Setup

Post by OutIntheBoonies »

Hi everyone, I was pointed to this site because I'm having some issues with my LTE internet setup at my house in the middle of nowhere. Looking around the forum, I can definitely tell I came to the right place and I'd appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Equipment I currently have:
https://ca.alcatelmobile.com/link-hub/ with the AT&T Unlimited iPad Plan.
WeBoost Basic Home Booster
GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router for use with a Visible iphone 6+ (This is my backup for when AT&T finally kicks me off)

My house is surrounded by forest on 3 sides and a lake behind us. We are at the bottom of a hill, meaning the top of my roof is still not clearing the trees that are between my house and the nearest cell phone tower.

Edit: sorry my whole post didn't go through.

Continued:
I get poor reception inside the house due to a metal roof and aluminum siding. My verizon based phones get 2mb/s inside normally. Upload is practically nonexistent. The Router is getting normally 3mb/s. I moved the router out under the eaves outside and it gets about 10-15. Standing in my front yard, I can get almost 40mb/s on my phones.

I installed the booster to try and get that good signal indoors, but the booster does not seem to effect the router. However, the booster bands and the router bands match so Im not sure what's going on. The router shows increased signal strength, but not increased speed. It also has more noise in the signal. The booster is aimed at the nearest tower, about 5 miles away through the woods and across a lake with some hills in between. So, definitely not good line of sight. (Ozarks). According to what I've found out, the nearest tower is shared by Verizon and ATT.The booster has just a panel antenna, using existing coaxial from a previous satellite dish install.

The booster is getting my verizon phones up to 30mbs inside the house, which was previously unheard of. However, the ATT connected hotspot is not seeing any benefit. Increased signal, no increased speed.

I'm just looking for a solution that will get me consistent reliable speed, preferably unlimited. Im debating using the router for the kids devices and fire stick, and the visible phone w/ booster and the mini router for my wife and I's PCs.

Thoughts on how I might be able to increase the reliability and speed of data inside my metal house? I don't care if it is just 10mb/s as long as it is consistently 10mb/s. I'm also trying to not spend any more money if possible. My wife wasn't super thrilled with me spending the money on the booster, and if I go back and report its not working properly, I get the "i told you so."
Didneywhorl

Re: Not sure where to put it, but could use some help with my LTE Setup

Post by Didneywhorl »

Ive seen very often people show that boosters amp the signal AND noise up, causing no real benefit for cost, except maybe for the voice / talk part. But some swear by them.

Sounds like you need to look into getting yourself set up outdoors, and up high, with a weatherproof box and some antennas.

Return to “OPEN | UNCLASSIFIED”