WG3526 with Quectel EP06 modem shows “connecting” continuously

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Devildog1968
Been thanked: 0

WG3526 with Quectel EP06 modem shows “connecting” continuously

Post by Devildog1968 »

First off, I am new to this but not to computers. I thought I had this working until we lost power.

Upon startup, the modem shows in the provider's slot ”connecting” continuously instead of Verizon as it used too.

I have had this working since last Saturday and it went offline last evening.

No settings had been changed, but I did reflash the ROM to make sure nothing was damaged. I followed the build tutorial again to reset everything. Everything seems ok except for it not connecting.

The device sees the SIM and identifies it correctly. It also sees it missing if it is started without the card present.

I'm at a loss for what might be wrong and I'm open for any and all help.
Devildog1968

Re: WG3526 with Quectel EP06 modem shows “connecting” continuously

Post by Devildog1968 »

UPDATE: I have been poking around, and I'm not confident the device is pushing out requests to connect to the Verizon network. Under Modem: Connection Log... I see ONE LINE only; It says ”attempting to connect modem #1 (Quectel EP06-A)”... That request was made ONE HOUR before I posted this. I would expect to see multiple attempts to connect if it was a configuration issue, would I not?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Do you see it passing the APN in the debug window?
Devildog1968

Post by Devildog1968 »

Providing I am looking in the correct place.... no, I don't.

I seem to have the same AT command being run every 40 seconds or so.

/dev/ttyusb2 AT+CPMS=”SM” +CPMS : 0,0,0,0,0,0

That shows as far as I can roll back in the Modem: Debug Info log file
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

If the SIM Card in out of a phone, tablet, hotspot or other device that you have, you may try putting to SIM card back in the device to make sure it has service or has not be blocked for whatever reason.
Devildog1968

Post by Devildog1968 »

The sim works in its original phone. We can get to the Internet from it and can make calls etc.

Any ideas?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

So the SIM card is active.

Since it was working before you lost power, and it will no longer connect, I would first make sure the APN is entered and spelled correctly since resetting the firmware to its defaults would have erased it. And, SAVE & APPLY and hard reboot the router.

I am wondering if the modem configuration has somehow changed. After you are certain the APN is correct, you may try resetting the modem to its OEM state (use at your own risk):

Code: Select all

AT+QPRTPARA=3
Then, give it a minute or two and hard boot the router.

Once it boots up, promptly go to the debug window (might expand the window to view more of the commands) and watch to see if the APN is passing through to the modem.
Devildog1968

Post by Devildog1968 »

I am still working on this.... But what are the risks involved in resetting the modem to OEM state? I hate lines like ”at your own risk.” 😉
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Devildog1968 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:50 pm I am still working on this.... But what are the risks involved in resetting the modem to OEM state? I hate lines like ”at your own risk.” 😉
There should be little to no risk with these modems.

Some of the earlier, higher category Sierra Modems do not like the reset command.
Devildog1968

Post by Devildog1968 »

Ok. So on reboot, the log showed a bunch more info that gets overwritten on the wrap.

I do see the vzwinternet being passed from the device it seems. I see 6 entries for IPV4V6 in one of the entries.

A little further down there was an error 303 timeout that showed up in the log.

Does that mean anything?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Look in the System Logs and copy and paste where it first recognizes the modem to the end.
Devildog1968

Post by Devildog1968 »

UPDATE: I tried another install, and everything cleared up. I guess it was a SW glitch.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Post a text copy of your system log
slacker

Post by slacker »

JimHelms wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:47 pm I am wondering if the modem configuration has somehow changed. After you are certain the APN is correct, you may try resetting the modem to its OEM state (use at your own risk):

AT+QPRTPARA=3

Once it boots up, promptly go to the debug window (might expand the window to view more of the commands) and watch to see if the APN is passing through to the modem.
In case it's useful, I wanted to confirm that resetting my EP06 (in a WG3526) to OEM status using the above was a huge help. I had been connected to vzn for 2 weeks, but after a hard reboot ran into this issue. Even initial success with connecting came after a long stretch of "connecting..." with no success, despite multiple firmware flashes. Just wanted to flag because I know there are trouble shooting guides for the SW modem that include resetting it to OEM status, and if those tutorials are expanded to include Quectel modems this step seems to be key in starting from scratch.

Thanks again to this forum forum for the insights. I feel guilty I bought the WG3526/EP06 from another source (an FB group seller), but the store was out of stock. I am trying to support the store with some add on purchases for my setup. Cheers.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

JimHelms wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:47 pm So the SIM card is active.

Since it was working before you lost power, and it will no longer connect, I would first make sure the APN is entered and spelled correctly since resetting the firmware to its defaults would have erased it. And, SAVE & APPLY and hard reboot the router.

I am wondering if the modem configuration has somehow changed. After you are certain the APN is correct, you may try resetting the modem to its OEM state (use at your own risk):

AT+QPRTPARA=3

Hi all,
This happened at my uncles house after electric went out and this fixed it for me

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”