USB modem with cell phone chipset?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Chungus23
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

USB modem with cell phone chipset?

Post by Chungus23 »

I was looking at some USB modems/routers from china and came across a device that uses a MT6735 chipset, which is a chipset with an integrated modem that a bunch of cell phones typically use. I am not that familiar with the hardware of 4G devices but I was under the impression that typically you can't use a cellphone's chipset in devices like that, unless there is something else I am missing.

My question is, would these be more secure over a carrier network if you are technically using a cellphone chipset for a connection? I have been told there are many parameters that can be checked on a typical sierra/quectel modem to determine it's being used in the incorrect device but maybe if this is using a cellphone chipset, it's just seen as a cellphone by the carrier because technically it has the hardware. These devices also show an IMEI of a very old phone that uses a MT6735 chipset, so maybe they are using the hardware from those discarded phones?
Any thoughts?
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Re: USB modem with cell phone chipset?

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

Chungus23 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:57 amThese devices also show an IMEI of a very old phone that uses a MT6735 chipset, so maybe they are using the hardware from those discarded phones?
Where are your seeing these?

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”