Utilizing MC7455 and EM7565 Dual SIM

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
bnhf2
Has thanked: 0

Utilizing MC7455 and EM7565 Dual SIM

Post by bnhf2 »

Has anybody here figured out to make use of the dual SIM capabilities of the MC7455 and EM7565?

This would be incredibly useful for us full-time RVers (and others of course) that are frequently swapping SIM cards. It appears both modems utilize a second set of pins on their respective interfaces (mPCIe for the MC7455 and M.2 for the EM7565) to communicate with a second SIM slot. Every existing adapter and on-router SIM slot is wired as #1 as far as I can tell.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Utilizing MC7455 and EM7565 Dual SIM

Post by JimHelms »

I experimented with the dual SIM setup sometime ago.

From referencing my notes, you must first enable the dual Sim functionality in the modem:

Code: Select all

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!CUSTOM="UIM2ENABLE",1
AT!RESET
The SIM cards will be references as "0" for SIM card Slot 1 and SIM card Slot 2 as "1" as shown below:

AT!UIMS=?
!UIMS: (0-1)

OK
You can then check what SIM card slot is currently being used:

AT!UIMS?
!UIMS: 0

OK
which shows SIM Card slot one is active. To change to the second SIM Card slot:

AT!UIMS=1
AT!RESET
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

One more issue I seem to remember is that the modem "may" require two network interfaces when in QMI composition.

For example, to set the MC7455 DIAG, NMEA, MODEM, RMNET0, RMNET1 for two network interfaces:

AT!ENTERCND=”A710”
AT!USBCOMP=1,1,50D
AT!RESET

As opposed to setting DIAG, NMEA, MODEM, RMNET0 for one network interface:

AT!ENTERCND=”A710”
AT!USBCOMP=1,1,10D
AT!RESET
I am unsure if MBIM composition also requires the similar settings.
bnhf2

Post by bnhf2 »

The AT commands match my understanding, however if you look at the technical spec for the MC7455 you'll see that each of the two addressable SIM slots has a separate set of mPCIe pins assigned to it. Have you actually tested using two different SIM cards, and switching between them? I hope you're right and both slots can be wired as SIM slot #1, but it doesn't appear to be the case.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I have tested the dual SIM card setup.

However, I was using a Cradlepoint dual SIM mini PCI-E adapter which may already have the pins configured that you mention.

Cradlepoint mPCIe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bnhf2

Post by bnhf2 »

Do you know if that adapter can be purchased anywhere? Not finding it on Google.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Google "Cradlepoint MC400"

The MC400 LPE will come with a MC7354 (or MC7355) Sierra Modem.

The MC400 LP6 will come with a MC7455 modem installed in them.
ChrisBrisendine
Been thanked: 0

Post by ChrisBrisendine »

I have a MC400-600M-C any way to flash it and use it with verzion since its got the MC7455 in it? I will never use it on Firstnet.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

First, using this TUTORIAL access the AT Command Terminal (atterm) and see what modem the MC400-600M-C is using. This information is available by running the AT Command:

ATI
BillA

Post by BillA »

While the dual sim information is interesting, it might be a bit of a hassle issuing those switching commands, and knowing exactly which is the currently active sim. As an alternative, one could physically replace the sim card in the router, however if wearing out the internal sim slot is a concern, there are several different sim tray adapters/extenders available for a few bucks.

The simplest one is a straight through extender, where one end plugs into the internal sim tray, while the other end on a 5 inch flat cable has an external tray for a sim card of any size (standard, micro, nano) easily replaceable without wearing out the internal tray.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Sim-Card ... 2915488465

There are other adapters/extenders too, with two external sim trays which are manually switchable by a small toggle switch, without having to remove the sim cards.
While not as elegant as a software switch, it could be an alternative solution in case the internal sim slots are not easily switchable by software.

Yet another solution would be to run an internal and external tethered modem in a usb enclosure at the same time, with both having their own separate sim cards. Its advantage is that the two connections can be configured in a load balancing setup for a fail-safe operation.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

The MC400 already has two SIM Card slots. Plus, his question was related to flashing the modem.
kenjeffries
Been thanked: 0

Post by kenjeffries »

Has anyone been able to get the second sim slot on a MC400LP6 to work? I am using the MC400LP6 as a stand alone USB attached modem and it works well except for getting the second slot to work. I have tried both the ATT image after a factory reset and a separate current ATT image. I enable and pick the slot as in this thread and boot the modem with a sim in the second slot and with the slot selected. The status is always "sim not inserted".
I am beginning to think that there is some additional AT command to enable the second slot.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”