Cradlepoint 850 with external antenna???

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
Emmettsolid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cradlepoint 850 with external antenna???

Post by Emmettsolid »

Is anyone using a cradelpoint 850 with a 1700-2700MHz WiFi 4G LTE 15dBi Directional MIMO Antenna?
I got the antenna and the cradelpoint can't find a signal. I have tried pointing it where my neighbor points his and I get nothing. He's also on Sprint but not using a cradlepoint
I can connect with the stock antenna but I need better than that provides.
Thanks Emmett
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Cradlepoint 850 with external antenna???

Post by JimHelms »

Emmettsolid wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:39 am Is anyone using a cradelpoint 850 with a 1700-2700MHz WiFi 4G LTE 15dBi Directional MIMO Antenna?
There are a few customers using that antenna with the CBA850LP6 router.
I got the antenna and the cradelpoint can't find a signal. I have tried pointing it where my neighbor points his and I get nothing. He's also on Sprint but not using a cradlepoint.
The antenna is neutral as to what router or device it is connected to. It is a directional panel antenna, meaning that the flat panel of the antenna must be perpendicular to he ground and aimed directly at the tower.

I would first determine the exact location of the closest two Sprint towers/antennas--as opposed to relying on where your neighbor is pointing his. There are some TOOLS on the store that will help with this task.

Once the towers are located, you can use Google Earth to plot a line from your location to each of the towers. This will provide a more precise heading and visual reference points to help in the aiming.
I can connect with the stock antenna but I need better than that provides.
The stock antennas are Omni directional--meaning they receive signals from 360 degrees. If they are receiving signals but the MIMO directional is not, sort of hints that the MIMO antenna is not properly aligned with the tower.

While is it not a complicated procedure to aim a directional antenna, it does require a little homework (and more than guess work) to determine what direction to aim it, and whether there are obstacles between your mounting location and the tower that may prevent the antenna from receiving a signal.
bukzin
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cradlepoint 850 with external antenna???

Post by bukzin »

"I would first determine the exact location of the closest two Sprint towers/antennas--as opposed to relying on where your neighbor is pointing his. There are some TOOLS on the store that will help with this task."

That Tools link seems to be dead. Is there a new one somewhere?

If not which apps or procedures might I try?

Have the Cradlepoint CBA 850 LP6

Return to “Questions and Support”