Sierra Wireless MC7455 Slow Down?

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
gscheb

Sierra Wireless MC7455 Slow Down?

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Have a MC7455 in a WE826 using T-Mobile for internet. On band 2 and carrier aggregating on band 12. About a month ago my speeds just slowed down all the sudden. Thought immediately must be signal strength. Checked signal strength and nothing has changed. Second thought was well T-Mobile must be slowing me down now, left it at that.
Well I purchased a Quectel EC25-AF in a WE826 to play around with band 71. This thing is a CAT 4 modem no carrier aggregation. And on on band 2 alone it is out performing the the MC7455 on band 2 and carrier aggregating on band 12.
So this tells me that T-Mobile isn't slowing me down. Something to do with this Sierra Wireless MC7455 modem.
Anyone have any thoughts of what it can be?
terryjett

Re: Sierra Wireless MC7455 Slow Down?

Post by terryjett »

Interesting. I have a em7455 in WE826 and speeds are not that great on t-mobile. Have been thinking about getting a Quectel to try for band 66 (no 71 here yet). Maybe some others will have some useful insight on the subject...
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well to be honest the band 71 was definitely less than awesome. Only had 5 MHz on it and think might have something to do with that most antennas are tuned in to get 700 - 2700 Frequency not 600 for band 71. So not super impressed with it. It was no better if not worse than band 12.
Liked the Quectel modem for sure. They seem to be a little cheaper too. Just really miss the AT!GSTATUS? command. That one thing gives you so much information.
BillA

Post by BillA »

terryjett wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:54 pm Interesting. I have a em7455 in WE826 and speeds are not that great on t-mobile. Have been thinking about getting a Quectel to try for band 66 (no 71 here yet). Maybe some others will have some useful insight on the subject...

From my experience having played around with both brands, Quectel modems seem to provide a little better speed, especially on Tmobile (though it may improve other carriers too). Course your mileage may vary.
Band 71 is only a 5Mhz bandwidth in most areas, so unless the modem is at least a CAT-6 to do CA, it won't improve speeds at all. Band 66 on the Quectel EP06-A is more important than having band 71. imo
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Do you know why the MC7455 would just start to slow down? It dropped quite a bit.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:07 pm Do you know why the MC7455 would just start to slow down? It dropped quite a bit.

The only thing I can think of, it's band locked on the wrong/weak signal band(s) causing the speed issue. Try to set it to auto-scan, because sometimes bands can change dynamically depending on the towers. Auto-scan is usually preferred over locking. I would at least reflash the modem with the latest firmware and test it again. That's all you can really do.
If you get a chance, post your modem status report (AT!GSTATUS?)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Flash what? The router? It is not band locked. It is on band 2 & 12 which is the only bands it has available to it.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

See this service on The Wireless Haven store when buying a Sierra wireless card.

Upgrade Firmware
Upgrade Modem to latest Generic Firmware

Is this something that needs to be done regularly? I have never done this. Could this have anything to do with the slow down issue?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

There are instance where a single band (i.e., Band 2) may outperform a group of bands using carrier aggregation.

I would first try locking the modem to Band 2 and see what happens.

You may also want to try placing the modem in QMI composition. There have been numerous members claiming that QMI get better performance that running a modem in MBIM.

Lastly, it is possible the carrier is detecting the MC7455 via its IMEI (as a data only device) and deprioritizing or limiting its bandwidth.

Does the MC7455 show up as the device on the account. Does the Quectel?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Honestly don't know if it is in QMI composition or not.
Currently have a Nighthhawk M1 in use. (Seem to always be shuffling devices between people.)
My account for it says unknown device but does show the IMEI for it .

Just found this odd since was using this device for quite some time and all the sudden it just slowed down one day.
Thought it was a fluke and then it consistently did so for a month straight.

Thank you for your reply.
Was concerned there could be something wrong with it.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”