What is the right sprint 4GLTE router for me?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
DeUndefined1
Has thanked: 0

What is the right sprint 4GLTE router for me?

Post by DeUndefined1 »

I always wanted to have home broadband since I was a child. So I'm getting this $15/mth Sprint 4GLTE internet plan billed from Human I-T, (powered by mobilecitizen). No throttling, no caps. There are several drawbacks, it's that the plan is designed onto Sprints 4GLTE Network ONLY. So it degrades sprints coverage map in every aspect, 3g and 4g (by itself) is a no go. So one of the devices they offering is a used Coolpad Surf Mobile hotspot ($80 refurbed device plus my first month bill of $15 equals $95) because they said the hotspots they order from mobilecitizen will already have sim cards assigned so I know I can't buy my own sprint sim card from a sprint certified retailer. And the fact that eventually the Hotspot will fail. Also, I still need my ooma home phone to stay wired up seperately. So i've recently modified an old router ive found at home and its the Netgear N600 WNDR3400v2 onto its old unofficial dd-wrt firmware but I still need two routers. So I've looked around at some 4GLTE specific Routers that can work with my budget home 4GLTE broadband. So I've seen the netgear 6100d from sprint (also used on freedompop)and ive seen Cradlepoint MBR1400LPE V2 4GLTE Router (Multi-Carrier). But then this caught my eye, I've seen the WE826-T2 4GLTE Router, and the fact that from the ltestore has a cat6 4GLTE modem that I can upgrade and choose. And I know that a Mimo Antenna is a must have that I can grab afterwards. But what exactly is the right sprint compatible 4GLTE specific router for me?
gscheb

Re: What is the right sprint 4GLTE router for me?

Post by gscheb »

From a quick google search found this about Sprint bands.
Shown below says bands 25, 26, 41 are the LTE bands. So what ever modem you get believe will need to have those bands.
For example the Sierra Wireless MC7455 shows it has all three of those bands.

Sprint operates a nationwide network with CDMA technology in the PCS (1900 MHz) and ESMR (800 MHz) bands, which includes CDMA EVDO Rev. A for 3G data. The company's 4G network uses LTE technology in bands 25, 26, and 41. The company is also using band 41 for its 5G NR network, launching in 2019
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

One thing to note is that the MC7455 has random connection/disconnections issues on Sprint Band 41.

Most have gone to using the EM7565 for Sprint Band 41 where it is available. Note that the EM7565 does not have Sprint Band 25.

Others are using the Quectel EM12-G CAT12 modem for Sprint which does have Band 25, 26 and 41 and seems to work well.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Thanks Jim,

If one did decide to go with the Quectel EM12-G CAT12 modem is there a good way to tune it in to the correct signal strengths? On the Sierra Wireless modems have the AT!GSTATUS? command to check the signal stats. Does the Quectel modems have a way of doing this as well?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

The current signal info can be found using the command:

Code: Select all

AT+QENG="servingcell"
as well as

Code: Select all

AT+QENG="neighbourcell" 
which is the equivalent of Sierra's AT!LTEINFO
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

What about the mofi3500-3gn version 2?
BillA

Post by BillA »

DeUndefined1 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:32 am What about the mofi3500-3gn version 2?

That's an old outdated model, don't think it's even sold anymore.
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

Okay ignore that. I have to think of an alternative because my time with at&t is running out. So I bought this netgear ac2350 with the update of mu mimo and I've bought an 4g lte mimo antenna with the ts9 connector. So I also bought 2 sets of ts9 to rp sma cables for the netgear ac2350. The signal quality was very very pleasing then before. But my only issue now is how can I get my coolpad mobile hotspot to bridge with my micro usb to lan adapter to provide internet from the hotspot to my netgear ac2350? I got a feeling I would have to use a computer for this.
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

I've flashed the ac2350 onto the openwrt firmware. So I can I configure this to accept my coolpad surf via usb?
BillA

Post by BillA »

DeUndefined1 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:18 am I've flashed the ac2350 onto the openwrt firmware. So I can I configure this to accept my coolpad surf via usb?

Try it, if usb tether doesn't work, you can always connect it via ethernet from the CoolPad's LAN port (if it has one) to the router's WAN input port.
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

I'm sorry I meant How? Besides just having usb i also have a micro usb to rj45 adapter and I connected this. But I don't know what else to do from there.
BillA

Post by BillA »

DeUndefined1 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:34 pm I'm sorry I meant How? Besides just having usb i also have a micro usb to rj45 adapter and I connected this. But I don't know what else to do from there.

You can't just plug in the micro-usb to ethernet adapter into the CoolPad, it will likely not work. Those adapters are designed to provide internet to phones from an ethernet source/router, not the other way around.
Try to plug in the CoolPad's LAN output to the router's WAN input port using a regular ethernet cable.
There are other variables which also have to be present, such as disabling the DHCP on CoolPad (don't ask, don't know), and using a sim which has hotspot capability, otherwise it will fail. It may or may not work, there's nothing to loose.
A better option is to simply replace the CoolPad with a real modem in a router, it just works.
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

I knew I bought the wrong piece. As far as the Coolpad, you know, ive did spoke to the guys from mobilecitizen upon if i can switch devices because I rather have home broadband vs mobile. So They said as long as its a sprint lte mobile hotspot only then I can make it work that way since this Coolpad is a lower end device. So my affordable replacement is the Netgear MIFI AirCard 779S. Comes with the TS9 connectors so I can hook up my 4g lte antenna directly and has a bit more freedom vs what I get currently off the coolpad.. But the reason I'll add another netgear to the fold specifically is because both the Coolpad hotspot and netgear hotspot has only just the micro usb. So what exactly do I need to connect the netgear hotspot onto the netgear nighthawk?
BillA

Post by BillA »

DeUndefined1 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:06 am I knew I bought the wrong piece. As far as the Coolpad, you know, ive did spoke to the guys from mobilecitizen upon if i can switch devices because I rather have home broadband vs mobile. So They said as long as its a sprint lte mobile hotspot only then I can make it work that way since this Coolpad is a lower end device. So my affordable replacement is the Netgear MIFI AirCard 779S. Comes with the TS9 connectors so I can hook up my 4g lte antenna directly and has a bit more freedom vs what I get currently off the coolpad.. But the reason I'll add another netgear to the fold specifically is because both the Coolpad hotspot and netgear hotspot has only just the micro usb. So what exactly do I need to connect the netgear hotspot onto the netgear nighthawk?

Look, by trying to save a few bucks, you're just gonna end up with a less than optimal hotspot with no ethernet port and probably no way to tether it to a router like the Netgear AC2350/R7500.

So, here are a couple of better options:

1. By spending a little more, you could go with a real mobile router like a WE826 or WG3526 which has built in WiFi (2G/5G), 4 LAN ports, and there's no need to connect it to another router (but it's possible). Both models can be used with an internal modem, or an external modem in a usb enclosure, and even tether a phone to it as a modem. Most importantly, they have custom TTL settings which is a must have for most carriers to work.
You will need one of the routers below:
WE826 > https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-rou ... fi-router/
OR
WG3526 > https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-routers/wg3526-p/

You will also need a modem and an adapter to complete your setup:
Quectel EM06 modem > https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... m-2-modem/
mPCIe to M.2 modem adapter > https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/mini-p ... card-slot/

You can also go with higher end Quectel models like the EM12/EM20, Sierra EM7511/7565, or Telit LM940/LM960.
Just be careful with the cheap laptop branded Telit modems, they tend to be firmware locked and a pain to work with. Usually the price reflects the version, the cheaper ones (less than $200) are likely branded/locked, while the more expensive ones (above $250) are most likely unbranded/unlocked. Make sure to ask the seller first.

2. A less expensive option is to use an external modem in a usb enclosure or a phone connected directly to your Netgear AC2350/R7500 via usb cable. You must flash your Netgear with GoldenOrb or WiFix firmware in order to connect an external modem. You will need the following three items below to complete your setup:
USB modem enclosure > https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/
Quectel EM06 modem > https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... m-2-modem/
Antennas > https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... ennas-sma/
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

I understand that the real modems you mentioned does indeed fits best for most. However, not so easy with new beginners like myself. However, I want to have something different with something different to install. I was able to connect both the Coolpad and ac2350 wirelessly. However the ac2350 doesn't really load anything except something to do with the dns. So I'm guessing both dhcps is active because the coolpad or the next hotspot has to keep the dhcp on for the ac2350 to stay connected, otherwise it'll disconnect and reconnect back and forth. But then it's causing conflict with my router. So what do I need to change?
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

DeUndefined1 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:11 am I understand that the real modems you mentioned does indeed fits best for most. However, not so easy with new beginners like myself. However, I want to have something different with something different to install. I was able to connect both the Coolpad and ac2350 wirelessly. However the ac2350 doesn't really load anything except something to do with the dns. So I'm guessing both dhcps is active because the coolpad or the next hotspot has to keep the dhcp on for the ac2350 to stay connected, otherwise it'll disconnect and reconnect back and forth. But then it's causing conflict with my router. So what do I need to change?
I think there might be a couple of different options for you, but have never used the a2350. I do have another older model netgear and use it in "repeater mode". Might try it and see if works for you:

https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-c ... s-repeater

Another option may be:

https://kb.netgear.com/24090/How-do-I-d ... awk-router

Would try the repeater mode first and see how it performs :idea:
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

Hey. I'm running the netgear nighthawk x4 ac2350 with openwrt. Then I have dd wrt running on my old netgear n600 v2. Then I have this coolpad surf mobile hotspot in which I'm about to upgrade to the Netgear MIFI AirCard 779S for better features and support vs what I get on the Coolpad. Includes 2 ts9 antenna ports which I have an antenna for. Now I'll try that and see if it makes any difference because just the Coolpad alone only gives me less than 1mbps down and up in my room. With the router now it gets up to 3 down and up. After the hotspot upgrade Im hoping for up to 10mbps and I'll just plug everything up elsewhere in my home that's ready. So I've been testing out the Coolpad and nighthawk together and testing to see what else I can do from there before the netgear hotspot comes. Also the Coolpad Hotspot only supports just 2.4ghz wifi which is why a better Hotspot is needed.
DeUndefined1

Post by DeUndefined1 »

Okay here's an update guys. The nighthawk x4 is gone. The coolpad is gone. I returned the netgear hotspot because they was sure of not letting anybody switch to an unauthorized sprint device so I been stuck with the coolpad even after the x4 broke down. I didn't realise that the nighthawk wasn't fully compatible with the 5ghz configurations onto the rOOter of modems and men firmware. So I now have a TP-Link Archer C7 V2 that is fully compatible with such firmware. And I also have 2 15dbi 15ft long dual band wifi antennas, stucked them both into separate dishes But one of the dishes is actually bigger and blacker. And since the 45dbi LTE mimo antenna is not so much long range (and not 88dbi.), I can finally get the mifi 8000. Just ordered both the modem and router, just fixed up my desktop. Just installed both my antennas onto my side of my roof, then run everything to my bedroom. Now I'm just waiting for these two to arrive. I know I can flash everything and hook everything up exactly how I want too except one thing. I have better tmobile signal at home vs what I get from sprint. Given that this 2m lte antenna will still go outside, now weatherproofed, detuned and also found the best signal strength possible. How can I band lock the mifi from the router after I install the firmware and connect everything? I can only get atleast 5 bands at a time and I know sprint guys can roam on t-mobile. Also im trying to start load balancing too.

Return to “General and Unclassified”