Upgrade troubles. EP06-A to EM7565

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
usav3t

Upgrade troubles. EP06-A to EM7565

Post by usav3t »

A month ago I purchased (from Amazon) a Kuwfi we826-t2 router preinstalled with a Quectel EP06-A modem. Its been working fine and have had no trouble out of it. Last week I purchased (from The Wireless Haven) A Sierra Wireless EM7565(with firmware update) and 2-5 inch MHF4 Pigtail Jumper cables . I ordered a 12v 2.5a 30w Power supply along with an M.2 B Key NGFF SSD to Mini PCI-E mSATA from Amazon. I disassembled the router and replaced the EP06 with the 7565, replaced the cables with the MHF4 cables and carefully hooked everything up. Hardware seemed fine up until the point that I powered on the router and noticed that I was not able to see the Modem in the device info box in the wifix menu.

I can input at commands although they disappear as I type them so I have to copy/paste them in and hit enter real fast so that they are accepted. I have tried several commands but the only response I get to any of them are

Code: Select all

Fri Feb 21 20:27:06 2020 : /dev/ttyUSB Can't open device /dev/ttyUSB.

This leads me to believe that the m.2 card I received is bad. But before I threw my hands up I decided that maybe the screws were touching the board and shorting it out thus making it not work correctly so I shaved down the screw heads with a dremel. Still not able to see the modem. I tried resetting the wifix firmware to a fresh install. Same problem. I checked every thread on these forums for similar problems and the closest thing I could find was people having issues with losing their command capability from imputing the 7455 at commands on the 7565. I perused a rooter thread on the issue linked from this forum and looked into putty but could never connect as I dont know how to use the Huawei tool to locate my com port so I decided not to go any further with that.

So at this point I have a new M.2 board ordered from The Wireless Haven and a USB To M.2 (NGFF) Adapter in case I need it for anything. SO before the new board gets here is there anything I can do to troubleshoot the device in case my assumptions are wrong and its a software issue.

Currently using we826-GO2019-11-16-upgrade.bin. As I understand it that should have any drivers needed for the new modem.

What I dont know is if the pci-e to m.2 add-on board needs a driver to be loaded onto the wifix software in order for the router to see the modem. If thats the case does anyone know where to point me so that I can figure out how to do that?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade troubles. EP06-A to EM7565

Post by JimHelms »

usav3t wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:46 pm I ordered a....... along with an M.2 B Key NGFF SSD to Mini PCI-E mSATA from Amazon.
This adapter will not not work. It is for a Solid State Drive.
usav3t

Post by usav3t »

Well that would be the problem. I guess I missed those three little letters when I purchased everything. I wonder what the difference is between the i/o that it wouldn't power any m.2 device from the card. Anyway thanks Jim for spotting that. I should be receiving the one I bought from you guys in a few days so I aught to be up and running in no time.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

usav3t wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:36 am Well that would be the problem. I guess I missed those three little letters when I purchased everything. I wonder what the difference is between the i/o that it wouldn't power any m.2 device from the card. Anyway thanks Jim for spotting that. I should be receiving the one I bought from you guys in a few days so I aught to be up and running in no time.
Yeah, not all m.2 adapters are created equal. A lot of them that are advertised as being for a M.2 modem are not able to read the SIM Card in a router below.
usav3t

Post by usav3t »

Alrighty then, Received the new mini pcie to m.2 card today and just plugged everything up and it all works great. Thanks again Jim for spotting my issue.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”