Omni Antennas for Overland Travel Truck

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
charlesrg

Omni Antennas for Overland Travel Truck

Post by charlesrg »

I'm building an Overland Travel Router that I want to put outside of the truck with higher gain antennas and run it over PoE.

I already ordered a M.2 Snapdragon X20 "Dell DW5821E " as I believe it's the most affordable global modem I could find and now I need a routerboard and antenna / enclosure.

I don't want to be pointing the antenna every day as I drive the truck, I would not know where the tower is, therefore a omni would make my life easier. Unless there is a way to auto-find point the antenna or I should re-think this option.

What antenna(s) would you recommend to cover North/central/south America frequencies ?
Didneywhorl

Re: Omni Antennas for Overland Travel Truck

Post by Didneywhorl »

The Widest band wide band highest gain thing you can find x2, or x4 of you can. I dont know of any specifically, but ensure you have type N connectors and simply put out type Ns from the modem pigtails to your weathrlroof enclosure and a short set of LMR400 Coax antenna cables. Jim Helms of thewirelesshaven.com has the enclosures, though you may need to ask him to put them in the store, and pigtails, cablea, etc. His omni antennas may be what you need. Im unfamiliar with omnis myself
charlesrg

Post by charlesrg »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:22 pm The Widest band wide band highest gain thing you can find x2, or x4 of you can. I dont know of any specifically, but ensure you have type N connectors and simply put out type Ns from the modem pigtails to your weathrlroof enclosure and a short set of LMR400 Coax antenna cables. Jim Helms of thewirelesshaven.com has the enclosures, though you may need to ask him to put them in the store, and pigtails, cablea, etc. His omni antennas may be what you need. Im unfamiliar with omnis myself
Thank you. I will ask them for the enclosure. It will be nice to get a higher gain Omni. Most the ones I see are pretty thick.
charlesrg

Post by charlesrg »

Wondering if anyone was also using their system with Omni antennas. Feel that for mobile people that would be the solution.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”