How to angle dual polarized antennas?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
LTE_is_Great
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to angle dual polarized antennas?

Post by LTE_is_Great »

I have two of these, https://www.amazon.com/TECHTOO-Omnidire ... B0130RKA7C - with 12ft of lmr-200. I have tried angling them different ways, but the best just seems to be both flat upright and directly side by side.

I was previously just using the small dongles that came with my router (wg3526) with a dish, behind the router, pointed out the window and getting around 40mbit down (same as current) but I was also getting 6mbit up (currently getting around 2-3mbit up) - Same bands.

Thoughts - or maybe these antennas are just not too good?
terryjett

Re: How to angle dual polarized antennas?

Post by terryjett »

Keep in mind the 2 x 4G LTE Antennas that came with the wg3526 are omni directional. Meaning they receive signals 360 deg.

Flat panel antennas have a "beam width". Those you mention have a beam width H:70/60 V:55/45. Do not know the manufacture of the flatpanels or how good their specs can be trusted, but what they are saying is horizonal beam width is about 65 deg and vertical is around 50 deg.

If you live in a wooded area or maybe hilly/mountains, omni directional "can be better" to pick up all the reflections. Since you did not mention your surroundings, only a guess the stock omni directionals are working better for this reason.

Never heard of or used the flat panels you linked to Amazon. Honest opinion, would have bought these instead https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... -n-female/ :) :) :)

You most likely already know to point the flat panels directly at the tower and may have to angle / tilt them up if close to tower, or even down if your home elevation is above the tower. Sometimes just moving left/right a few feet makes all the difference.
LTE_is_Great
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LTE_is_Great »

I'm in a very very wooded area, in a valley, although I'm only 1 mile from the tower... The tower sets on a 1200ft hill and is 250ft tall, however there is a hill in-between that is 1400ft. I bought a panel because I read on here that they are better for wooded areas. The small antennas that came with the router were somewhat the same as these antennas from amazon, but only with the dish redirecting the signal. Although... Like I said, my upload is currently a bit slower, but I feel like my download is a bit more consistent.

Main reason for my buying of new antennas is... my connection like -114db.. and that's in the winter, with no leaves.. I'm afraid of summer when 2000-3000 trees sprout leaves!

I'll try to angle the antennas around some more, I did get a better connection (-100db) on band 5 when I just tilted them upwards, but I get a little more performance out of band 2.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Kind of sounded like a wooded area.

Flat panels are better than highly directional (yagi) in your situation for sure.

You might even try pointing them in other directions away from tower while watching your signal levels. Reflection is a mighty powerful thing in the LTE world. Just remember to "slowly" position your antennas, wait a few minutes and they check out signal levels.

Some very good antenna comparison information can be obtained from fellow forum member @swwifty here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=251

Return to “Questions and Support”