WG3526 ATT Connects But No Internet

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
az9999
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WG3526 ATT Connects But No Internet

Post by az9999 »

I recently bought the WG3526 with Sierra 7455. WiFiX firmware. Everything went good following the excellent instructions. Put in Verizon sim and all was good.

Then I changed the settings for my ATT sim and installed after reboot. Using the connection log it showed that it connected but no internet. Tried 64,65,117 TTL with reboot after each but no success. Then I found the thread about changing the QMI to MBIM. Tried that and then an extra message was poping up saying something about my data plan. Tried more reboots etc. but nothing.

When I removed the ATT sim and put it back in my phone, the phone data did not work and the ATT logo in the top left was gone replaced by grayed out signal bars and a question mark. I had to call ATT to get them to reset it.
Any ideas what happened and how to get ATT to work?
It is an ATT prepay phone and data plan, if that matters.

Thank You
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: WG3526 ATT Connects But No Internet

Post by JimHelms »

az9999 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:31 am
Then I changed the settings for my ATT sim and installed after reboot. Using the connection log it showed that it connected but no internet. Tried 64,65,117 TTL with reboot after each but no success. Then I found the thread about changing the QMI to MBIM. Tried that and then an extra message was poping up saying something about my data plan. Tried more reboots etc. but nothing.
AT&T rarely requires the TTL settings unless there are hotspot limits on a particular plan.

The modem should operate on AT&T in both QMI or MBIM so that was not the issue.
When I removed the ATT sim and put it back in my phone, the phone data did not work and the ATT logo in the top left was gone replaced by grayed out signal bars and a question mark. I had to call ATT to get them to reset it.
Good call having ATT reset it. The grayed out logo is a sign of deactivation of the SIM Card. This can happen when the wrong APN is being used and repeatedly hammers (for lack of a better term) the network tying to register the connection.
Any ideas what happened and how to get ATT to work?
It is an ATT prepay phone and data plan, if that matters.
I would first insert the SIM Card in the phone and assure the SIM is activated for data. Then, go to the phone settings and see what APN it is using. Most use broadband as the APN but the prepaid could be different.
az9999

Post by az9999 »

The APN that the phone shows is nxtgenphone. I put that in 1st but it never connected. Did let it hammer for a while. :) Then I changed the APN to broadband and 65TTL and it connected right away but no internet.
I guess I will try it again unless you have any other suggestions.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

az9999 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:15 am The APN that the phone shows is nxtgenphone.
If the phone is connected to the network, pulls data and operates normally, then that is the APN that is attached to the SIM Card and service plan, and the one that must be used.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

What firmware image is the modem using?

AT!IMPREF?
az9999

Post by az9999 »

!IMPREF:
preferred fw version: 02.24.05.06
preferred carrier name: GENERIC
preferred config name: GENERIC_002.026_000
current fw version: 02.24.05.06
current carrier name: GENERIC
current config name: GENERIC_002.026_000
BillA

Post by BillA »

az9999 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:15 am The APN that the phone shows is nxtgenphone. I put that in 1st but it never connected. Did let it hammer for a while. :) Then I changed the APN to broadband and 65TTL and it connected right away but no internet.
I guess I will try it again unless you have any other suggestions.

ATT prepaid works fine with both APN's "phone" or "nxtgenphone", while "broadband" is usually for post-paid (without the quotes).
ATT can and does disable sim cards when you stick it into a blacklisted phone or device which has been reported lost, stolen, or for non-payment. Not sure why, but it's possible that he modem's IMEI is triggering this for some reason (it's probably not lost or stolen). If you have an extra modem (preferably a different brand), you can try that too.
Anyway, on the router make sure you set the proper APN, then enter this command to show your currently active APN:
AT+CGDCONT?
If it gets disabled again and you call them to reset it, might as well ask them for the *exactly* reason why it's happening (just play dumb that you've been testing your sim in different devices, but do no tell them it's a router... they usually don't like that;).
az9999

Post by az9999 »

I had an extra ATT sim so I activated it on the prepaid data plan for a hotspot or tablet. I used the APN of 'broadband' and it seemed to work fine. I tried 'nxtgenphone' yesterday with my prepaid phone sim that I had the problem with.
BillA

Post by BillA »

az9999 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:51 pm I had an extra ATT sim so I activated it on the prepaid data plan for a hotspot or tablet. I used the APN of 'broadband' and it seemed to work fine. I tried 'nxtgenphone' yesterday with my prepaid phone sim that I had the problem with.
By "ATT prepaid" I meant the real prepaid $65/mo (APN "phone" or "nxtgenphone"), not the "tablet plan" which uses the "broadband" APN.

Return to “ZBT Routers”