ZBT WG3526 - I can't visit some sites?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
LTE_is_Great
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ZBT WG3526 - I can't visit some sites?

Post by LTE_is_Great »

When I got this router in Jan, I instantly tried loading up "speedof.me" which is my favorite site for testing speed.. I was surprised when it wouldn't connect. However, I have just been using other sites.

Although today another site, "speedsmart.net" will no longer let me connect to the Philadelphia server, which leads me to think the router is blocking sites that I try to load too fast when the router is starting up. Any thoughts?

I'm running the The Wireless Haven firmware (GoldenOrb_2019-03-10) - also is there any risk to flashing the router - Is everything already configured to connect correctly if I were to flash it to try to fix this issue?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: ZBT WG3526 - I can't visit some sites?

Post by JimHelms »

LTE_is_Great wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:58 pm When I got this router in Jan, I instantly tried loading up "speedof.me" which is my favorite site for testing speed.. I was surprised when it wouldn't connect. However, I have just been using other sites.

Although today another site, "speedsmart.net" will no longer let me connect to the Philadelphia server, which leads me to think the router is blocking sites that I try to load too fast when the router is starting up. Any thoughts?

I'm running the The Wireless Haven firmware (GoldenOrb_2019-03-10) - also is there any risk to flashing the router - Is everything already configured to connect correctly if I were to flash it to try to fix this issue?
What carrier are you using?

There is no harm in reloading WiFiX but I don't suspect it is router related. tBut, it never hurts to try.

What I would also recommend, is to use the Firmware Recovery Method to flash it this go around.

Then, once updated, flash it a second time from within WiFiX/GoldenOrb user interface.

This process will assure all of the files from previous builds and configurations are completely replaced with the newer.
LTE_is_Great

Post by LTE_is_Great »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:18 pm What carrier are you using?
At&t, a buddy near me has At&t as well and all is fine with his connection, is there maybe some firewall commands I could use? Flashing can be scary :o
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

LTE_is_Great wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:23 pm At&t, a buddy near me has At&t as well and all is fine with his connection, is there maybe some firewall commands I could use? Flashing can be scary :o
Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I see no way the router or the modem can be blocking sites.

The carrier can block them.
LTE_is_Great

Post by LTE_is_Great »

If I use the sites ip's, it somewhat loads the site (https://52.27.13.22/ and https://54.201.80.252/) - I say somewhat because there's no option to perform a speedtest, however when I try just going to speedof.me, I get "This site can’t be reached The connection was reset."

Also, a pingtest from the diagnostics page on the router shows 100% dropped packets for speedof.me

Edit : I messed around with a few settings and got speedof.me to load and work, but the Philadelphia server for speedsmart.net still doesn't want to load.

What I did was... stopped WAN6 (not sure if this did anything), then edit WAN to not use builtin Ipv6 management, then un-ticked use default gateway and "Use DNS servers advertised by peer" then I put cloudflare dns (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1) - then I did the same thing for WAN1 but then my internet stopped working, so I put WAN1 back to what it was and then it worked, weird.
Factor

Post by Factor »

What are you using for your DNS? Have you tried just 8.8.8.8. Have you tried rebooting?
LTE_is_Great

Post by LTE_is_Great »

Factor wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 pm What are you using for your DNS? Have you tried just 8.8.8.8. Have you tried rebooting?
Yeah, I've had it set to google dns for like 20-25 days, multiple reboots, nothing previously has fixed the issue. - The issue with speedof.me started on day 1 of booting up the router.
Factor

Post by Factor »

Is port 8080 blocked?
LTE_is_Great

Post by LTE_is_Great »

Factor wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:35 pm Is port 8080 blocked?
I used "www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/" and selected "use current IP" and it says It's closed. :o

How would I go about fixing that? - or it it something I have to worry about?

(ps. gotta sleep, will read replies in the morning, thank you)
BillA

Post by BillA »

LTE_is_Great wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:38 pm I used "www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/" and selected "use current IP" and it says It's closed. :o

How would I go about fixing that? - or it it something I have to worry about?
pc
(ps. gotta sleep, will read replies in the morning, thank you)

It's normal for some mobile carriers to block certain ports, in order to try to stop users from running servers, spam, hacking, etc. on their network, but I don't think that's your problem in this case.
Since as reported, you're able to access sites via IP address but not through a domain/URL, it could be any one of these issues: DNS resolution, TTL, UA, etc. As obvious as it may seem, make sure that you have an active unlimited data service and try your sim card in a phone to see if you can go online. Since you've done quite a few changes already in your router, it would be advisable to factory reset it and start from scratch again before going any further (it's up to you). Check out the troubleshooting suggestions in the posts below, and see if you can narrow it down to your pc, router, or mobile service. For testing purposes, connect your pc to the router via a good quality ethernet cable (once you resolve the issue, then you can try it via WiFi too), and try speedtest.net instead of speedof.me . Just remember one step/tweak at a time, and always make sure to press "Save" after any router settings, then reboot both the router and pc for all changes to take effect.

The first step if to find out whether a phone connected to the router via WiFi can access any website via URL or only by IP.
If it can access sites both ways, then your issue is most likely with you pc.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5225#p5225

If the above didn't work, then try a temporary free VPN in order to mask your data/UA/TTL (do not use a free VPN permanently, unless you don't care about personal information;).
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=5249#p5249

Try to report your test results in as much details as possible including a modem status AT!GSTATUS? (if using a Sierra modem), so others can learn from it too, and maybe suggest another solution.
LTE_is_Great

Post by LTE_is_Great »

Regardless of what device I used, wifi or plugged in, speedof.me wouldn't connect, would just say "The connection was reset". I believe the router log was saying "NXDOMAIN" whenever I tried loading the site.

Speedtest.net has always worked, however my fear is that, I'm pretty sure like I said in the OP, if I try loading a site too fast when the router is booting up, it'll blacklist the site, that's my theory. Although I still cannot connect to speedsmart.net 's Philadelphia server.

I'm pretty sure in my theory because the only sites I have had problems with are sites that I've tried loading on router boot (which are speedtesting sites).

Here's my GSTATUS -

AT!GSTATUS?
!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 72536 Temperature: 39
Reset Counter: 1 Mode: ONLINE
System mode: LTE PS state: Attached
LTE band: B2 LTE bw: 20 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 800 LTE Tx chan: 18800
LTE CA state: INACTIVE LTE Scell band:B5
LTE Scell bw:5 MHz LTE Scell chan:2428
EMM state: Registered Normal Service
RRC state: RRC Connected
IMS reg state: No Srv

PCC RxM RSSI: -87 RSRP (dBm): -115
PCC RxD RSSI: -87 RSRP (dBm): -115
SCC RxM RSSI: -84 RSRP (dBm): -105
SCC RxD RSSI: -86 RSRP (dBm): -107
Tx Power: 0
RSRQ (dB): -11.3
SINR (dB): 6.4

OK

I just got new antennas and have been sick so I haven't positioned them too well, however I still get around 40mbit down and 2-3mbit up.

Edit: However, at this time, whatever I did last night (with changing around some WAN settings), I can now access speedof.me on all devices. - Which I could not do for the past 20ish days.

Edit2: Well.. It's been a few hours, I went and messed with the positioning of the antennas, then locked my bands to 2,5,12... and now I can't connect to speedof.me again, I didn't even restart the router, just the modem.

Edit3: I think when I reset (rebooted) the modem it also rebooted the WAN1 connection, I unchecked "Use builtin IPv6-management" and "Use DNS servers advertised by peer" and then set dns to cloudflare (1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1) - And now speedof.me works again.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Not sure if you did the modem status with or without the antennas connected, but the RSSI values aren't the greatest, though I've seen worse.
PCC RxM RSSI: -87 RSRP (dBm): -115
PCC RxD RSSI: -87 RSRP (dBm): -115

Anyway, I'm glad you found a combination which works, and as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" ;D
ironman_gq

Post by ironman_gq »

I was just looking for a solution for the same issue with a WE826 with an EM7565 on ATT. Turning of the "Use Builtin IPc6" on WAN1 seems to have solved the issue for me.

Return to “General and Unclassified”