Setting up MC7455 for Project Fi

How to tutorials for modems, hotspots, dongles
Forum rules
This forum is for tutorials only--NOT for help or assistance.
BootyGainz
Has thanked: 0

Setting up MC7455 for Project Fi

Post by BootyGainz »

I didn't know where else to post this. But I continue to provide evidence that disproves the "dumb blonde" theory. Observe my mental skillz.

Ok. SO the backstory to all this is I had a 4g thing set up for unlimited internet with a company called --freedata.io--

It was all fine and dandy until we all found out together that we'd been bamboozled by Dean the Great Dicknoozle. See our somber accounts of these sad events in this thread (yeh one of my other accounts is in there so dont stalk me you creepin peepers). Evidently sprint pulled all those plans and we never knew until our internet went down and the company Sprint told us to call had vanished into thin air. (The domain is for sale btw so snap it up if you wanna be a deuchenozzle and fool some other scroobs)

AND now we get into the meat n totos my fuzzy wuzzy friens. Some requirements:

1. Have an MC7455 (if there are chinese characters on the packaging you ger extwa sorcial point)

2. Have Project Fi data only sim. You can get one for free if you have a phone with project fi.

3. Have a program called Huawei Modem Terminal. Shit looks sketch. But it works and includes minimal ruski spying. Less than Faceboot at least. Google it and find a free download.

4. An external antenna or the poor little excuse for antennae that *sometimes* come with the mc7455.

If you have these and want to get connected heres how it goes bobo.

1. Put the sim -> mc7455 -> pci-e to usb adapter -> connnputa (this is a real life hardware hack n slash folks)

2. Open Huawei Terminal, connect to the one that has WWAN in it, and enter some commands

Code: Select all

at!entercnd="A710"  <- This makes it so you can put commands in

at+cpin?            <- This makes sure your sim is seated correctly. Should say READY.

at!usbcomp=1,1,1009 <- This puts your thingymadoodle into MBIM mode. Jus nod ya head

at!cgdcont=1,"ipv4v6","h2g2"  <- Puts in the APN n stoofs

at!reset            <- reset
3. Restart computer or pull out usb.

4. Go into your computers "Windows Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile" place (its not in the nono zone bless its lil heart)

5. Click "Advanced Options"

6. Add an APN and in the APN block enter h2g2. In the Ip type block I had to put IPv4 but you can try Ipv4v6.

And now you should see that cute little bar graph with an asterisk in the bottom right. Just go down and hit connect. This should work for other carriers too but you have to put in that carriers APN where its called for. They can be found in a google search. Help me get more women interested in this stuff by encouraging your friends and family to follow what they like and not what they think they should. THANKS FOR READING.
shroudedninja

Re: Setting up MC7455 for Project Fi

Post by shroudedninja »

I have Project Fi and I'm totally going to try this out. I just ordered the data-only sim. I'm currently using Calyx (Sprint) but it cuts out occasionally. If I can use Project Fi with T-Mo and Sprint together that would be amazing. Thanks for this tutorial!
Jflex113

Post by Jflex113 »

What kind of luck have you had with using the unlimited aspect of the project fi data plan? I regularly use about 250gb of data at my house a month. It would be nice to have a backup but not unless it's truly unlimited after that 6gb. Have you gone over 30gb with this plan and if so have you noticed any throttling?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Jflex113 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:51 am What kind of luck have you had with using the unlimited aspect of the project fi data plan? I regularly use about 250gb of data at my house a month. It would be nice to have a backup but not unless it's truly unlimited after that 6gb. Have you gone over 30gb with this plan and if so have you noticed any throttling?
In their questions and answer section:
How much does a Project Fi plan cost?

Data costs $10/GB you've used until Bill Protection kicks in for your plan. After that, your data is free for the rest of your billing cycle.
Then, if you wonder what "free for the rest of the billing cycle" means, once you use 10GB, this answer explains:
What if an individual on my plan needs significant amounts of high speed data?

If you use more than 15 GB of data in a cycle (less than 1% of individual Fi users as of Jan. 2018), you'll experience slower speeds above 15 GB with Bill Protection. If you're on an individual plan, this means you'll pay just $60 for between 0-15 GB of data, and you can still enjoy free data at slower speeds after 15 GB.

If you need significant amounts of high speed data, you can opt to pay $10/GB for the data you use past 15 GB in a given cycle.
It appears you are throttled (as opposed to deprioritized) after your 10GB (15GB on a multiple user plan), but it fails to explain what "slower speeds" mean but 2G (at 512 Kbps) or 3G at would not be surprising. Be interesting to know.

Hey, don't let that be a deterrent. High speed data is still available for a small fee. At 250GB monthly use, minus first 10GB (at $60) leaves 240GB (at $10 per GB) for a total monthly fee of $2460. LOL
Jflex113

Post by Jflex113 »

JimHelms wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:07 am It appears you are throttled (as opposed to deprioritized) after your 10GB (15GB on a multiple user plan), but it fails to explain what "slower speeds" mean but 2G (at 512 Kbps) or 3G at would not be surprising. Be interesting to know.

Hey, don't let that be a deterrent. High speed data is still available for a small fee. At 250GB monthly use, minus first 10GB (at $60) leaves 240GB (at $10 per GB) for a total monthly fee of $2460. LOL
Yesss. Finally, a way to get in debt faster than student loans.
BootyGainz

Post by BootyGainz »

Jflex113 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:51 am What kind of luck have you had with using the unlimited aspect of the project fi data plan? I regularly use about 250gb of data at my house a month. It would be nice to have a backup but not unless it's truly unlimited after that 6gb. Have you gone over 30gb with this plan and if so have you noticed any throttling?
The data is throttled pretty horribly after the data limit but it is free after that. I really just needed something since I live in the boondocks with no other options and its still fine for casual browsing and work related stuff.
Jflex113

Post by Jflex113 »

Yeah most cell companies do throttle after 15gb or so. Calyx does not though. It's kind of expensive but it's nice not being throttled.

Return to “Tutorials”