CBA850 Tweaking / Performance

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
chrissezhi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CBA850 Tweaking / Performance

Post by chrissezhi »

Good day -

Thanks for the recommendation of the CB850. Moving to this from MoFi is night and day.

I do have some questions in regards to tweaking. I followed the tutorial on the CB850 and set DHCP options. The router itself is connected to two antennas (https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... l-antenna/) and LMR400 cable with pigtails. The antennas are mounted in attic.

I am enclosing some pics to maybe help see what I am seeing.
  • First question - how can make RSRP signal better?
  • Second question - is it possible to lock the cradlepoint to a tower. if you notice I have Band 2,4,12.
  • Lastly - if you look at the pic with Arrows - should I try to point antenna in the direction of 7135?
  • Noob question - during testing , I could had sworn that the tower ID would change. Could I be bouncing around towers?
Thank you for your time and help!

PICS:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: CBA850 Tweaking / Performance

Post by JimHelms »

Using the ATTERM run the AT Command:

Code: Select all

AT!GSTATUS?
That will give us a better look at both sides (MAIN & AUX) of your signals.
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Thank you Jim -

See below:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

There is no way to lock to particular tower.

What does the terrain look like between you and the tower?

You will notice that your RSRP for the Primary Carrier (i.e., Band 2 at 10MHz of Bandwidth) is usable but may possibly be improved. I would watch these numbers while fine tuning the antenna rotation. You might also want to see what tilting the antennas slightly backwards (5-10 degrees).

Your RSRP for the Secondary Carrier (Band 12 at 5MHz of Bandwidth) are fairly good stats, though the stronger signal is expected since Band 12 is in the 700MHz spectrum which has better penetration (with less absorption) than Band 2 at 1900HMz.

Your SINR looks fairly good, while your RSRQ (Quality of your signals ) could stand improvement.

I would try tuning the antennas using these stats, as they provide a more detailed picture.
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Thanks for the info - Terrain is flat - just trees. I will do some tuning with the antennas. Dumb question, one of the LMR cables was outside (previous setup) and I did not seal the cable. Do you see any issues? I heard if these get wet internally they are done for.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

chrissezhi wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 pm Thanks for the info - Terrain is flat - just trees. I will do some tuning with the antennas. Dumb question, one of the LMR cables was outside (previous setup) and I did not seal the cable. Do you see any issues? I heard if these get wet internally they are done for.
That is correct. They will take on moisture which will introduces corrosion and result in signal loss.

I generally use a Dielectric grease on the threads of the connectors and then seal them with a silicone tape.

Grease and Sealer.jpg
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Thanks again for the information....my questions are in bold below....

I found some pigtails that I had, used those and the RSRP did not change - so I assume the LMR cables are good to go?

During bandwidth testing, noticed my download speeds where slower than upload, is this a sign of congestion?

Also noticed, I was hitting random towers and while watching the Cradlepoint Status / Modem Info the tower would change ever so often to a different one.

One time I locked into a tower that only supported Band 4, went to AT!GSTAUS? and only one antenna was working, is this by design? When it switched over to Band 12, both antennas were functional.

Which brings me to my next question -

Did the following via Putty:

atterm
ATI
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=12,*B4",0,8
at!reset

GUI:

WAN Interface Profile / Modem / AT Config Script = at!band=12 (should this have been = 10)?

If I wanted to remove the above commands - what is the process?

Other random questions -

1.) The tower bouncing around - any tweaks - would like to hit one closest to me?
2.) Bands supported in my area are - Band 2, 4, 12 and 25. Am I limiting myself to only Band12?
3.) The antennas I purchased I take are good antennas, is there different ones I should try?
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Forgot about the spreadsheet - my bad … think I removed my previous commands....

Putty:

atterm
ATI
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=12,"",0,0

With this it should had removed my previous commands entered correct? Also removed from AT Config Script. Did not do reboot or at!reset at this point.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

chrissezhi wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:05 am Thanks again for the information....my questions are in bold below....

I found some pigtails that I had, used those and the RSRP did not change - so I assume the LMR cables are good to go?
If it did not change, then one can reasonably assume the cables are okay.
During bandwidth testing, noticed my download speeds where slower than upload, is this a sign of congestion?
That is one sign of congestion. Do a test at 3AM (when there is minimal users) and see if that changes.
Also noticed, I was hitting random towers and while watching the Cradlepoint Status / Modem Info the tower would change ever so often to a different one.

One time I locked into a tower that only supported Band 4, went to AT!GSTAUS? and only one antenna was working, is this by design? When it switched over to Band 12, both antennas were functional.
I assume this is possible although strange. Can you show an image of this event.
Which brings me to my next question -

Did the following via Putty:

atterm

ATI
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=12,*B4",0,8
at!reset
GUI:

WAN Interface Profile / Modem / AT Config Script = at!band=12 (should this have been = 10)?
No, the reason one starts with 10 is because 1 thru 9 is already reserved for OEM settings. Using 12 would make no difference. Note that with the above commands, you have defined Band 12, but (for reference) when using the Cradlepoint, the command:

AT!BAND=12
must be placed in the WAN AT Start up script in order to take effect.

If I wanted to remove the above commands - what is the process?
I assuming you are using the spreadsheet to calculate the bands. Notice the instructions on deleting that profile of bands:

Remove Bands.png
You can also just enter the command in the WAN start up start up script:

AT!BAND=00
While tells the modem to receive all available bands.

Other random questions -

1.) The tower bouncing around - any tweaks - would like to hit one closest to me?
Note that signals will bounce and reflect off of objects. Are your antennas mounted outdoors or still in the attic as pictured?
2.) Bands supported in my area are - Band 2, 4, 12 and 25. Am I limiting myself to only Band12?
If you are locked onto any band, then you are limiting yourself to accessing other bands that may often be less congested and/or whose signals that may be of higher quality (i.e., better RSRQ, SINR).
3.) The antennas I purchased I take are good antennas, is there different ones I should try?
Depends of several variables to include installation, location, reflection of signals, obstacles, tower distance and preferred frequencies/bands.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

chrissezhi wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:48 am Forgot about the spreadsheet - my bad … think I removed my previous commands....

Putty:

atterm

ATI
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=12,"",0,0
With this it should had removed my previous commands entered correct? Also removed from AT Config Script. Did not do reboot or at!reset at this point.
That is correct.

I personally like doing a modem reset or hard reboot on the router when making changes.
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Some more information is regards to what I am seeing .. any pointers would be appreciated such as band locking and trying to get closer to the tower near house.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

You are seeing MIMO RxM and RxD (i.e., Main and Diversity) on the primary carrier (PCC) but you are not seeing the secondary carrier for 2 x Carrier Aggregation.
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Again I cant say enough Thank you for you for your time.

As you can see below - I have once again bounced to the tower closest to my house .. Band 12. On Band 12, download speeds increased to 18-22Mbps / 5.26MB (for reference on Band4 speeds would be half of that).

Notice on Band 12/2 the the AT!GSTATUS show both antennas I assume than compared in previous image?

Is that the secret sauce, limit to Band 12/2?

If so, issue the following commands:

Putty:

atterm
ATI
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=10,"B12",0,800
AT!BAND=11,"B2",0,2

# Create Group

AT!BAND=10,"tmob,12",0,802

GUI:

AT Config Script enter AT!BAND=10

Reboot?
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Side note as far as bandwith tests - using speedtest.net unless you guys have any other recommendations.

Also noticed that the AT!GSTATUS? was cut off - here is a better screenshot.
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Also - on the CBA850 - T-Mobile - I never see carrier aggregation become active - just states Inactive. I have done speed tests/youtube videos but nothing ... anything I need to do?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

chrissezhi wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:32 am Also - on the CBA850 - T-Mobile - I never see carrier aggregation become active - just states Inactive. I have done speed tests/youtube videos but nothing ... anything I need to do?
Carrier Aggregation is determined by the tower, there is no way to force it.

Again, are your antennas still mounted in your attic, or are they mounted outdoors?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

chrissezhi wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 am
Is that the secret sauce, limit to Band 12/2?

The secret sauce is usually determined best by trial and error.

If so, issue the following commands:

Putty:

atterm

ATI
AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!BAND=10,"B12",0,800
AT!BAND=11,"B2",0,2
# Create Group

AT!BAND=10,"tmob,12",0,802
GUI:

AT Config Script enter AT!BAND=10

Reboot?
That looks correct.
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Yes the antennas are in the attic.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

How hard would it be to move the antennas outdoors to test.
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Haven't really thought about it - I guess I could - below is a pic of where I would probably put the antennas. Any idea of setup, what mast would you recommend? From Cable to Cradlepoint, does anything need to be in place? I will more than likely run cable from antenna to cradlepoint, with CP being in a room in house not leaving in attic. Placing outside, will it make a significant improvement?

Thanks again for your help.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

You might try using a long Satellite J Mask/Pipe mount. You can find them on eBay (example) and they are pretty adaptable.

They also have them in a tripod, which mounts directly on the roof.

Example of using the J Mask mount:

J Pipe Mask.jpg
BillA

Post by BillA »

JimHelms wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:01 am You might try using a long Satellite J Mask/Pipe mount. You can find them on eBay (example) and they are pretty adaptable.

They also have them in a tripod, which mounts directly on the roof.

Example of using the J Mask mount:

J Pipe Mask.jpg

Hey Jim, I was wondering what's the make and model of those two large dildo looking antennas sticking out above the enclosure box, and do you sell them? Does each contain only one antenna or pairs in each tube? (sorry I was at a loss of words describing them he-he)
chrissezhi

Post by chrissezhi »

Thanks Jim -

Going to move from attic to outside mount. I have ordered the J-Pole and plan on doing the following:

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=350

First, if going on a second story and need to ground - what is the best option and how to achieve?

Second, to get the enclosure to mount - do I need the below (mounting bracket - take it does not come with the enclosure) - to seal against moisture water - what do you recommend?

Lastly - the ethernet cable and pigtails - can they go thru the same sleeve? If not, when holes are punched out - what do you recommend to seal?

Shopping List -

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/power-adapter/p ... w-gigabit/

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/router-enclosur ... enclosure/

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/r-acces ... ting-pads/

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/accessories/u-b ... olt-clamp/

F4 Tape

Diaelectric Grease

UV Resistant Zip Ties.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

That would be a good choice. I will address a few of your questions with some photos when I find them.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

chrissezhi wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 am Thanks Jim -

Going to move from attic to outside mount. I have ordered the J-Pole and plan on doing the following:

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=350
This is great way to set up the CBA850. Plus, CAT6A Ethernet Cable is a lot cheaper and easier to plumb than low loss cables.
First, if going on a second story and need to ground - what is the best option and how to achieve?
In reality, the external antennas need lightening protectors which have a connector for the ground wire. The two protector grounds may be looped together where only one wire is required to run for the actual ground (and/or the J Mask as described below).

There is a wire in the enclosure that will connect to the MC400 Modem (on the CBA850 PCB and Modem). The wire is connected to a metal boss in the enclosure where the metal mounting bracket attaches to the enclosure (yes, the clamp for this mount is included with the enclosure). This means that "IF" the J Mask is grounded, so is the enclosure and any internal components tied to the internal ground wire.

20200203_135023.jpg

It is generally recommended to use a minimum of 8 to 10 gauge solid copper for grounding.

I have seen the the J mask grounded directly to the ground using a copper coated 6 ft grounding rod available a Home Depot/Lowes) as well as seen the grounding wire coupled to an existing ground used by the electrical main.

You might also want to check the local electrical codes for proper grounding requirements.

Second, to get the enclosure to mount - do I need the below (mounting bracket - take it does not come with the enclosure) - to seal against moisture water - what do you recommend?
As mentioned above, the enclosure comes with a bracket and clamps for mounting. Not sure about the reference to moisture seal.
Lastly - the ethernet cable and pigtails - can they go thru the same sleeve? If not, when holes are punched out - what do you recommend to seal?
No. You will need RJ45 Waterproof IP67 Bulkhead Connector With Ethernet Jumper Cable to connect to the CBA850 LAN port.

You will then use 2 x SMA Male Right Angle to Type N Female Bulkhead connector 8 inch pigtails which will allow a water tight seal.

Both can be seen on the IMAGE to the link you referred to previously.

The Enclosure would then attach to each of the antennas using a Type N Male to Type N Male 50Ohm low low cable is as short a cable as you can get by with.

The reset of your shopping list looks good--to exclude the U-Bolt clamp.

Return to “General and Unclassified”