What antennas do I need?

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Hootis Tigglebits
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What antennas do I need?

Post by Hootis Tigglebits »

I currently have a ZTE MF279 on ATT’s iPad unlimited plan. My signal quality is usually around -100dbm and has 2-3 bars. I was wondering if there was another router out there under $150 that would give me a noticeably better connection speed. I can stream tv during the morning and afternoon just fine, but sometimes it buffers a lot in the evening. A helpful guy on Facebook told me to get dual directional antennas, but I don’t know which ones to get, what else I need to get them to work, and how to point them toward the tower. Could someone please help.
Didneywhorl

Re: What antennas do I need?

Post by Didneywhorl »

I believe the MF279 has two antenna ports on the back side at each end of the device. SMA female connectors.

If you know where your cellular tower of main service is, then a pair of directional antennae is best. A Wide band, highest gain you can afford. If you are totally unsure of tower direction, or if you really have zero line of sight to it, then a solid wideband omnidirectional would be best.

Directionals called Yagis:
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... l-antenna/

Always recommend a pair, one on each port and installed just like the picture shows, at 45 degree angles and separated, but one will do, especially for testing. They MUST be pointed at the cell tower for best useage.

Cable to connect it to your modem: SMA male connector on one end, N-type Male connector on the other end. Low loss LMR200 coax minimum recommended...

Dual cables:
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/antenna- ... al-cables/

Single, different vendor:
https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Coaxial- ... 307&sr=8-5

Omni-Directional Antenna:
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... -lte-omni/

Same cable as above, again recommend pairs, but one will work.

**********************************************************************************

To find your tower, the basics are setup in a clear spot with generally clear horizon views, as good as you can of course, and then mock up the antenna. Maybe mount them temporarily on a short pole that is attached to a Christmas tree base or something similar, then randomly choose a direction and point it that way with a roughly 2-5 degree upward tilt. Log into your modem and read the signal strength (I'm unfamiliar with your modem, so no help there sorry). On a sheet of paper draw a big circle and make a hash mark on any point on that circle. Next to that hash mark write your signal strength info and note which direction that is as it relates to your antenna direction. Next rotate your antenna in 45 degree increments (less if you prefer) and mark your position and readings accordingly on your sheet. This should give you a good starting point for which direction you should be pointing your antennae. Re-position your antennae at its final mounting (or at least final for now :) ) and set its direction based on your previous findings, then fine tune your signal with very minor directional tweaks. Once you feel you have a great handle on horizontal positioning, slightly tilt it up or down (seriously like 1 degree changes, it doesn't really need to be higher that maybe 5 degrees, but try whatever) and find your best signal gained by its position and your golden at that location.
You may find that you get signal gains in multiple directions. This may be attributed to multiple towers, or signal reflection off of solid surfaces, like houses or building structures of any kind. Make note of the best ones and see if they are still best at your mounting place.

NOTE you may want to skip testing out in the open and do the testing all at your final mounting location.

Hope this helps, and please use all the previous postings on here as your in depth resource. There is likely a related posting paired at the bottom of this page, as this site tries to match the current thread with similar ones. "Similar Topics"

And anyone, please chime in if I've posted anything in error
Hootis Tigglebits

Thanks so much! Does The Wireless Haven sell lmr400 because I can’t find it on their site. If I mou t the yagi antennas on my roof there are some trees and I believe a hill that will effect my direct line of site. Will that be an issue or should my signal still be much better than me currently using the m279 alone?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

There's no way for me to tell that for you, if your truly unsure then Id get an omni.

I believe The Wireless Haven sells lmr400 and other cables, I think its a dropdown on the product. Im not near my pc right now and dont want to mess with the mobile site.
Hootis Tigglebits

Ok thanks. Just to make sure you understood me, but know where the nearest antenna to me is. Would it be best to try the Yagi antennas out and if they don’t work get an Omni? I’ve read the Omni directional antennas aren’t nearly as good as the yagi’s. Is this correct?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

In my opinion, yes.
scott.flora

Post by scott.flora »

Return to “Cellular Antennas”