Modem NOT identified

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Modem NOT identified

Post by JimHelms »

Richtow8 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:40 am
The dilemma is that the E826GO has been flagged by VZ so the next strategy is to hack and hide. The E826GO will show the same IEE as the phone. Either this will work or the component within the E826GO will have to be replaced as that is now assumed to be on a VZ blacklist.
The router does not connect to the carrier network. It is a device that strictly operates the modem.

The modem is the only component that connects to the carrier network and only the modem provides identification (i.e., IMEI, MEID, SIM ICC ID).
Richtow8
Has thanked: 0

Post by Richtow8 »

Jim,
The SCAM I referred to was purchasing a product that are totally not related to your business and only a reference to the only other vendor who did not have a phone number exposed. Please don't misunderstand. The mention was only to prepare you for what MIGHT be expected in the future. This other deal was extremely well presented. Truly amazing. "Too good to be true" and I never fall fur such but did this time. It was that good! So if this becomes the new "norm", you are aware of what mind set people will evolve into.
Richtow8

Post by Richtow8 »

Hi Jim,

My IT guru worked hard to attempted to make the WE826GO look like the phone IMEI but could not. He suggests that the american made product is probably listed where the Chinese is not. Also the WE826-T2 easily accepted the IMEI. I want the WE826GO to work, simply because it's suppose to be faster. What next?
bjames

Post by bjames »

Richtow8 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 pm Hi Jim,

My IT guru worked hard to attempted to make the WE826GO look like the phone IMEI but could not. He suggests that the american made product is probably listed where the Chinese is not. Also the WE826-T2 easily accepted the IMEI. I want the WE826GO to work, simply because it's suppose to be faster. What next?
As Jim mentioned in his previous post, the network cannot see the router. The router cannot look like a phone IMEI since it is the modem that has the IMEI and not the router. It is the modem that transmits its IMEI to Verizon. The WE826GO is a WE826-T2 with GoldenOrb firmware loaded on it. Now if you are referring to making the modem resemble a phone to bypass the hotspot limitations imposed by Verizon, that is done by changing the TTL values in the Custom Firewall tab. But that should not be confused with changing the IMEI for obvious reasons.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

bjames wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:04 pm As Jim mentioned in his previous post, the network cannot see the router. The router cannot look like a phone IMEI since it is the modem that has the IMEI and not the router. It is the modem that transmits its IMEI to Verizon. The WE826GO is a WE826-T2 with GoldenOrb firmware loaded on it. Now if you are referring to making the modem resemble a phone to bypass the hotspot limitations imposed by Verizon, that is done by changing the TTL values in the Custom Firewall tab. But that should not be confused with changing the IMEI for obvious reasons.
You are right on point with this post.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Richtow8 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 pm Hi Jim,

If Verizon is in fact blocking the modem's IMEI, you could circumvent it (even if temporarily till you get your modem exchanged) by physically removing the modem from the router, and tethering your phone directly to the router via a usb cable, which will also charge the phone at the same time as a bonus. Most Android phones are supported using standard RNDIS protocol (not sure about iPhones, but may be possible), you just have to enable USB tethering on the phone and select the phone's connection in the router's settings. Been using this method for years, and the advantage is that you see all kinds of network information on Samsung phones in test mode, including complete control of band selections. Used/second hand S8 (CAT-16) or S9 (CAT-18) phones can be bought for around 200 bucks or less with a small blemish on the screen. ;)
Richtow8

Post by Richtow8 »

I thought this might be the same modem and thanks for clearing up my inaccurate description about where the IMEI is. Yes, VZ identified this IMEI, as seen on the modem. I earlier posted a thought about changing (exchanging) this modem for another, suggesting that only VZ has this red tagged. How it got tagged is a valuable question and why is the Chinese modem not tagged (it's working just fine). Is the solution to making the products from Wireless Joint work, simply exchanging the modem? I am all for making this happen and returning the WE826-T2, to Amazon. Is this a logical and fair request?
Richtow8

Post by Richtow8 »

Bill, you are a genius!
bjames

Post by bjames »

Richtow8 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:49 am I thought this might be the same modem and thanks for clearing up my inaccurate description about where the IMEI is. Yes, VZ identified this IMEI, as seen on the modem. I earlier posted a thought about changing (exchanging) this modem for another, suggesting that only VZ has this red tagged. How it got tagged is a valuable question and why is the Chinese modem not tagged (it's working just fine). Is the solution to making the products from Wireless Joint work, simply exchanging the modem? I am all for making this happen and returning the WE826-T2, to Amazon. Is this a logical and fair request?
If I understand your question correctly, you are wondering if you should exchange the modem that is now blacklisted by Verizon for new one that is not. I am not sure any vendor would agree to such an exchange unless they were vendors of used and blacklisted modems. Don't think this is a logic request, but that is just me.
Richtow8

Post by Richtow8 »

bjams: Verizon is only one provider. A solution is on the table. I think this is a logical request.

On the next note, using the phone for a modem poses questions in this application. We need powerful external roof antenas connected to bring the best possible signal from cellular service into this coach. From within this coach, internal strong antennas are necessary to achieve all access. We have a lot going on and have worked up from this basic condition, only seeking to improve. The current condition is working but below the edge we need. This build, when functioning, is the edge - final objective.

So slip yourself into my shoes. You took the leap of faith and read all the customer satisfaction script. This is not a test or experiment but a build that happens within a community that is evolving and meeting daily challenges accordingly. You are thrilled to receive your product, do the assembly and invest dozens of hours to gain no ground. You find a solution or what seems to be and make a request to switch out one component and then finally, you are called unreasonable. Hmmmm. I suspect you don't work there?

In my unique old-school world, we build success on creating success and happy consumers and as important, create a happy world by any means possible. I think the community has gained some valuable information through this expensive process. Many contributors have invested a lot of time and me.... near $300 and gained nothing thus far... but that's just me.
bjames

Post by bjames »

You are correct, I do not work there. Perhaps you should contact Sierra Wireless directly and ask them if they will accept a used modem that is blacklisted by Verizon in exchange for a new one. After all, they manufacture the modems by the millions. As an arguing point, you can tell them since it is blacklisted only by Verizon, who is only one provider, they could push it off to a customer who needed a modem for AT&T, one that does not mind receiving a used modem. Old school or not, this is a ridiculous line of reasoning and goes far beyond customer satisfaction.

If your modem is blacklisted by Verizon, it is most likely of your own doings since I know of no one else who has had such an experience. But again, you seem rather prone to problems and issues, well beyond those of normal builders, most of which have no problems following tutorials. You, on the other hand, are in a different class. If you start at the beginning and review all of your posts, you will realize you have violated every set of instructions and complicated the process from the very beginning of the build.

And, while I am at it, your so called, "IT guru" whom you rely upon for crucial information, has about as much clue as what is going on as you. In my opinion, you have burdened this community with stupidity, not contributed to it.
Richtow8

Post by Richtow8 »

james:
Thank you for your insight and display of character and identified opinion(s). There is no need to be facetious in public. I have other arenas for "stupid" and such. The community is no doubt, for education to many degrees and knowing the details of every condition is critical to avoid complications. We all recognize what it takes to be a "name-caller" and what it takes to remedy any situation with diplomacy. Cheers!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

These exchanges arent productive, move on to more technical jargon, less rhetoric and personal opining. Please.

Return to “General and Unclassified”