Utilizing ROOTer as a Repeater via Wired + Access Point for Main Router

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
serverside

Utilizing ROOTer as a Repeater via Wired + Access Point for Main Router

Post by serverside »

So I've done this a good bit inside of DD-WRT but never with LEDE/ROOTer and am finding very little on how this is accomplished.

Basically I want to have my main router be DHCP to my second router via Hard Wired connection, then that router also running LEDE/ROOter be Wifi Access Point #2. I do not want to link them via Wifi. I just started looking into this and their doesn't seem to be a bunch of info on the ROOTer side, a little bit with LEDE but it's mostly about extending the network via Wifi connection by using the Scan button in ROOTer/LEDE.

Would like to make this a tutitorial eventually once I figure this out. Going to be messing with it this evening but if others have already done this and can give me some pointers I'd be grateful.
danielewood

Re: Utilizing ROOTer as a Repeater via Wired + Access Point for Main Router

Post by danielewood »

So, you want ROOter to be LTE+WIFI+DHCP, and you want to reuse a second DD-WRT router you have as an AP only, with an ethernet cable running in between them?

Or are you not talking about using LTE functionality at all, and just wanting a second ROOter AP that is wired to your existing DD-WRT router?

ROOTer is really not a great distro if you are only going for Access Point functionality with a wired back-haul. In that case, I would stick to DD-WRT or the OEM firmware and just disable the DHCP server on that AP.
serverside

Post by serverside »

danielewood wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:17 am So, you want ROOter to be LTE+WIFI+DHCP, and you want to reuse a second DD-WRT router you have as an AP only, with an ethernet cable running in between them?

Or are you not talking about using LTE functionality at all, and just wanting a second ROOter AP that is wired to your existing DD-WRT router?

ROOTer is really not a great distro if you are only going for Access Point functionality with a wired back-haul. In that case, I would stick to DD-WRT or the OEM firmware and just disable the DHCP server on that AP.
Well I was hoping to use my second router with lede/rooter but if it's not designed to be a repeater I'll just flash ddwrt to it and use it as the wired switch/AP.
serverside

Post by serverside »

Just FYI if anyone runs into this, flashing from LEDE/ROOTER to the Archer C7 DDWRT requires you to use the factory to DDWRT image, you cannot use the DDWRT base image.

Return to “General and Unclassified”