MC7455 and Verizon: External IP only on B13

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
PaulSteinau
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

MC7455 and Verizon: External IP only on B13

Post by PaulSteinau »

Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot through my connection issues and think I have it narrowed down, but not sure what I can do about it. Upon reboot, the modem reconnects to the Verizon network, but it won't obtain an external IP address unless it connects to B13. If connects to B4 or B5 first, the connection is fine, except no external IP, therefore, no internet connection. I locked the band to B13 for now, but do I have any other options? It would be nice if I could get an external IP regardless of band. I'm using the QMI protocol, and happy to provide any details if I'm not making sense. Thanks in advance.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: MC7455 and Verizon: External IP only on B13

Post by JimHelms »

Have you tried resetting the modem to OEM.

Maybe something in its configuration is causing the issue.
PaulSteinau

Post by PaulSteinau »

Yeah, I reset to OEM before I locked it to B13. What's strange is that when it wasn't locked, if the modem started on B13, then bounced to B4 or B5, it would keep the external IP. Is there a way to force it to start on B13, then choose band? I'm stumped otherwise. Keeping it locked is fine for now, but when B13 gets congested, the connection gets super slow.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Have you tried MBIM composition?
PaulSteinau

Post by PaulSteinau »

I get the same issue on MBIM and QMI.

I'm not sure what happened, but I just reset to OEM (for probably the 5th time since this issue started) and after a hard reboot, it picked up an IP off the B5 band. I'm going to leave it for now and see if it holds. I'll also never use the reboot option in the goldenorb menu, since that either puts me back into this issue, or the modem flat out won't reconnect to the network. Thanks for the help, this issue is driving me crazy.
BillA

Post by BillA »

PaulSteinau wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:08 am I get the same issue on MBIM and QMI.

I'm not sure what happened, but I just reset to OEM (for probably the 5th time since this issue started) and after a hard reboot, it picked up an IP off the B5 band. I'm going to leave it for now and see if it holds. I'll also never use the reboot option in the goldenorb menu, since that either puts me back into this issue, or the modem flat out won't reconnect to the network. Thanks for the help, this issue is driving me crazy.

CDMA/LTE carriers like Verizon and Sprint tend to be more finicky than GSM/LTE carriers like ATT and Tmobile.
The issue stems from CDMA carriers also storing a lot of network settings into NVM/EFS (A-key, SSD-A/B, etc), which may get corrupted. A quick way to refresh all those parameters is by putting the sim card into a regular phone, making a test call, going online, and when it's reinserted into the router's modem, it usually forces a refresh. I'm glad though that you finally got it working.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”