What is the use of GPS function in LTE modem cards?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
tambutso

Post by tambutso »

I have seen that most if not all of them offer GPS capability. What is the use for GPS and if I have an LTE router with a GPS capable modem, how will I benefit from this?

I have an Amazon Fire Tab, which, because of the price point, Amazon did not bother putting any GPS capability in it. It uses Wi-fi in some way for location services and I have used it with a phone hotspot and tried to navigate with it using the default Maps app built by Amazon, and of course the location ability was very spotty and very very slow and innacurate.

Now, I wonder if I use the LTE router in the car, buy a GPS antenna for the modem, and connect this tablet via Wi-Fi, would it give the tablet some sort of finer location ability usable for navigation because I have the GPS antenna in the LTE modem?

Any have any experience of the use of the GPS in the LTE modem?
BillA

Re: What is the use of GPS function in LTE modem cards?

Post by BillA »

tambutso wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:00 am What is the use of GPS function in LTE modem cards?

I have seen that most if not all of them offer GPS capability. What is the use for GPS and if I have an LTE router with a GPS capable modem, how will I benefit from this?

I have an Amazon Fire Tab, which, because of the price point, Amazon did not bother putting any GPS capability in it. It uses Wi-fi in some way for location services and I have used it with a phone hotspot and tried to navigate with it using the default Maps app built by Amazon, and of course the location ability was very spotty and very very slow and innacurate.

Now, I wonder if I use the LTE router in the car, buy a GPS antenna for the modem, and connect this tablet via Wi-Fi, would it give the tablet some sort of finer location ability usable for navigation because I have the GPS antenna in the LTE modem?

Any have any experience of the use of the GPS in the LTE modem?

The GPS capability of these wireless modems are mostly used in IoT (Internet of Things) applications, for example trucking companies can use it to track the location of their fleet, or you could write a custom application to use the GPS data for various purposes when inside a routers. Usually you also need a separate GPS antenna connected to the modem card, with and unobstructed view of the sky in order to get quick and accurate data.
Without a dedicated GPS antenna, the modem will still provide a corse location data most likely based on the mobile carrier's signal rather than the satellite data.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”