Homebrew Quad 1900MHz Antennas V2

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
terryjett

Homebrew Quad 1900MHz Antennas V2

Post by terryjett »

Thought I would share my latest go at creating antennas from scratch.

The performance is great and if you like creating things, you will love this project. If you see my other post on biquads (https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=639), you will see where I got the design from. Cannot claim tech specs, all taken from Marty.

If you find faults in my process, build your own and show everyone how to make a better antenna. I have no doubts others can do a better job than I:)

Made my own sheet metal bender from plywood:
biquad-from-scratch-003_R.jpg
biquad-from-scratch-006_R.jpg
biquad-from-scratch-005_R.jpg
biquad-from-scratch-007_R.jpg
Few photos of build:
DSCN0382_R.jpg
DSCN0384_R.jpg
DSCN0386_R.jpg
DSCN0389_R.jpg

Performance is good. Have never received band 30 from AT&T tower and these locked right on. They were designed around 1900MHz for band 2 and 4. My spacing between antennas on this test is about 3ft. Going to reduce few times and see if any performance decrease/increase. Then going to place them one above other and test some more...

One interesting note is: Experimenting with 75ohm RG6 Quad Shield on these antennas. Seems the RSRQ is up a bit from my standard coax/antennas but nothing outrageous. Not recommending RG6, only stating I am "experimenting" with it. All routers are designed for 50ohm cable but many of people use 75ohm.

If/when I get another router and Sprint compatible modem, going to try these with band 25,26 and 41. Should be pretty good performers on Sprint.

If you do venture with creating your own antennas, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THEY ARE METAL AND BASICALLY A LIGHTING ROD! Make sure you use proper grounding techniques and suppressors.

I love experimenting and that is the purpose of this project. Plus, it keeps my mind busy:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillA

Re: Homebrew Quad 1900MHz Antennas V2

Post by BillA »

Nice, makes a great antenna and a cross to pray to the cellphone Gods at the same time (if you're into that stuff;).
Props to you for taking lighting seriously, it's no joke when it hits (it's just a matter of time).
I wonder how good (or bad) a DishNetwork or DirectTV dish would work for concentrating signals onto a home make pickup element. After all it's got a great parabolic curvature... hmm...
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

makes a great antenna and a cross to pray to the cellphone Gods at the same time
Never thought of it that way, but you are right on the money! Wondering if anyone going to catch the moon right above the pole:)

Totally temp setup. Removed my over-air tv antenna mast and used its mounting place.

Yes, everyone better take lighting serious. I have personally been inside a small telephone switching office when it hit - brightest blue color I have ever seen going around the grounding halo.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

I wonder how good (or bad) a DishNetwork or DirectTV dish would work for concentrating signals onto a home make pickup element. After all it's got a great parabolic curvature... hmm...
It actually has gotten me the best download speed from at&t ipad plan setup. Just catches a lot of wind when up high...
BillA

Post by BillA »

terryjett wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:01 pm It actually has gotten me the best download speed from at&t ipad plan setup. Just catches a lot of wind when up high...

Good to know... due to it's high efficiency it could be mounted lower than other metallic objects/rods.
By the way, drilling a bunch of small diameter holes throughout the dish helps overcome the wind resistance, with minimal impact on its efficiency.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Good to know... due to it's high efficiency it could be mounted lower than other metallic objects/rods
If you take a peek at https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=639 you will see where I used a directv dish upside down with feed arm and single quad. The crazy combo of it and biquad mounted inline got my best speeds so far from at&t. Both feet from ground.

Got to turn my hat around from antenna creation to handy man and get back to finishing home repair before wife makes me sleep in my storage shed:)
BillA

Post by BillA »

terryjett wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:19 pm If you take a peek at https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=639 you will see where I used a directv dish upside down with feed arm and single quad. The crazy combo of it and biquad mounted inline got my best speeds so far from at&t. Both feet from ground.

Got to turn my hat around from antenna creation to handy man and get back to finishing home repair before wife makes me sleep in my storage shed:)

Oh, I see... nice setup, and those speeds are great too. What do you get with the new dual, pole mounted antennas?
I feel for ya being in "wifey prison", been there done it, never again! ha-ha

Here's my lame, home-brew parabolic antenna for testing purposes.
At least it pulls in around 100Mbps down/30Mbps up with the tower less than a mile away.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

New speed for dual pole is around 20 down and 7 up. But, at&t has been slowing down around here lately and that is what I am getting with factory made flat panels.

Spacing might help for speed. In my life experiences, antennas seem to like being closer together at my distance from tower (4 miles). Further away from tower, they like more separation. Most all my experience has been in wooded areas though, with slight variations in elevation. This part of Texas is fairly flat.

If I ever get the time, going to spend a week doing some good testing with these biquads and document them up against other antennas.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”