Antenna n-connector waterproof?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
SliverGT
Has thanked: 0

Antenna n-connector waterproof?

Post by SliverGT »

I have 2 log periodic antennas with N-connectors mounted to a j-mount mast on my roof. It's been raining a lot and my upper antenna has suddenly decreased by about 30db. Is there any additional sealing required for n-connectors to be waterproof? The cables I'm using are the 50ft Wilson-400.
https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electroni ... op?ie=UTF8
swwifty

Re: Antenna n-connector waterproof?

Post by swwifty »

Did you put anything on them at all to protect them from water ingress?

I normally first do a wrap of electrical tape in a "shingle" like fashion (overlapping itself) from the bottom up.

Then I use some coaxial waterproofing tape (this stuff is really really sticky) and do the same thing.

Then I put electrical tape over all of that in a shingle like fashion as well (I do the same with the coaxial water proofing tape.)

I do all of this so I can more easily remove it in the future. Additionally, we sure to wrap it TIGHT with lots of tension.

It took me a bit of trial and error to learn this, but its what I ended up with that worked.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

SliverGT

Post by SliverGT »

No, I thought these n-connectors were designed to be waterproof so I didn't do anything but tighten them down.

Thanks for the info and video, looks like I have some work to do.

I'm considering redoing my whole setup which currently has 2 50 foot runs of Wilson 400 cable connected to a Mofi 4500 using Ubifi. I didn't realize the signal loss with these cables would be 3.5db at 1900mhz. That's over 50%! I'm about 3 miles from the tower in a wooded area so every db counts. I'm using band 2 primary and 12 for CA on AT&T.

I read about your setup using a POE RPi3 and M.2 USB mounted close to the antennas. That sounds like a great setup that would work well for me too. My only concern is it's awfully inconvenient having the modem mounted up high in a waterproof box. How often do you need to climb up there to work on it?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I'm considering redoing my whole setup which currently has 2 50 foot runs of Wilson 400 cable connected to a Mofi 4500
Have this exact setup myself and been considerin changing. Even using band 2 and 12 as well.
Always been leary if the the pi set up and the outside box. Since have never done that before and would need to buy more items too.
My question is couldn't we do the exact same thing with our mofi routers? Run POE up to the attic then use a POE switch but instead of running it to pi just use it to power the mofi.
Now my attic is dusty of course so could just put router in one of those clear plastic storage containers. Don't have to be rain proof just dust proof.
If this could work very similar to the PI set up think I could go from using 50 feet of wire to using probably 16 feet. With out the smaller jumper cables just straight lmr to the router with some 90 degree fittings.
Then if I did need to get access to it would just need to climb up in the attic instead of the roof gable.
Please let me know what anyone thinks of this.
Agl539

Post by Agl539 »

I use and do this which has worked well enough.

http://static.dxengineering.com/pdf/weatherproofingcoax-techtip.pdf
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

SliverGT wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:54 pm No, I thought these n-connectors were designed to be waterproof so I didn't do anything but tighten them down.

Thanks for the info and video, looks like I have some work to do.

I'm considering redoing my whole setup which currently has 2 50 foot runs of Wilson 400 cable connected to a Mofi 4500 using Ubifi. I didn't realize the signal loss with these cables would be 3.5db at 1900mhz. That's over 50%! I'm about 3 miles from the tower in a wooded area so every db counts. I'm using band 2 primary and 12 for CA on AT&T.

I read about your setup using a POE RPi3 and M.2 USB mounted close to the antennas. That sounds like a great setup that would work well for me too. My only concern is it's awfully inconvenient having the modem mounted up high in a waterproof box. How often do you need to climb up there to work on it?
Once I got everything setup, I very rarely ever have to climb up to work on it. I think I went up maybe once every 6 months? And that was just to do a software update.

I could understand the hesitation if it's a really high roof. I fortunately have an upper deck on my 2nd floor, that then allows me to use a 8-10ft ladder to get to the box. I have the box also under and eave, so it makes it easy too. Some folks mount their box directly on the mast.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

gscheb wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:07 am Have this exact setup myself and been considerin changing. Even using band 2 and 12 as well.
Always been leary if the the pi set up and the outside box. Since have never done that before and would need to buy more items too.
My question is couldn't we do the exact same thing with our mofi routers? Run POE up to the attic then use a POE switch but instead of running it to pi just use it to power the mofi.
Now my attic is dusty of course so could just put router in one of those clear plastic storage containers. Don't have to be rain proof just dust proof.
If this could work very similar to the PI set up think I could go from using 50 feet of wire to using probably 16 feet. With out the smaller jumper cables just straight lmr to the router with some 90 degree fittings.
Then if I did need to get access to it would just need to climb up in the attic instead of the roof gable.
Please let me know what anyone thinks of this.
In the attic is a great option as well, but I'd still want to put it in some kind of NEMA enclosure to protect it. I only mounted these outside, cause my attic is really small (so its actually much easier to have the box outside.) Additionally, don't forget to do proper lightening protection and grounding.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Agl539 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:46 am I use and do this which has worked well enough.

http://static.dxengineering.com/pdf/weatherproofingcoax-techtip.pdf
Great link! Thanks for sharing.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

So you can power the mofi with POE switch adapter and make it work?
SliverGT

Post by SliverGT »

Unfortunately my attic is not accessible near the area where I have my antennas mounted which is about 22 feet above the ground. I could put the the box 10-12 feet up on the side of the house to make it easier to access and still eliminate 35-40 feet of coax cable.

Do those lightening arrestors attenuate the signal at all? Is proper grounding achieved by putting a ground rod in and connecting a ground wire to the antenna mast?
SliverGT

Post by SliverGT »

How much power does the Mofi draw? I looked at the spec sheet and user manual and couldn't find the specs for that. The only thing I saw was they recommended a 1 amp fuse for mobile applications.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

According the The Wireless Haven store this is the power requirements. Which is the exact same equipment as a mofi.
Our WE826-T2 routers are special ordered to include a 2 Amp Power Adapter after determining that 1 Amp is insufficient when using the Sierra Wireless MC7455 modem under load–resulting in disconnection issues.

We strongly recommend upgrading to our top quality 12V 2.5A (30W) power adapter when using the Sierra Wireless EM7565 CAT12 modem. One must not underestimate the importance of providing adequate power to the router and modem.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I didn't realize the signal loss with these cables would be 3.5db at 1900mhz. That's over 50%
Hello,
Know how to go to the Times Microwave Systems calculator and look at what the db loss would be for a cable at a certain length. What I don't understand is how that translates into what signal loss that you receive to the modem? For example trying to tune in band 2 have a reading of RSRP (dBm): -122. Would a extra .6 Db gain even help in this situation. That would be gained by using 15 feet of lmr 400 opposed to 25 feet of lmr 400 for example. Or is that .6 Db gain not enough to change anything?
SliverGT

Post by SliverGT »

I doubt that .6dB will make much of a difference, an RSRP of -122 is pretty low. Have you experimented with different antennas and locations?

Another way to look at it is the power in/out or cable run efficiency %. In my case the the cable is gobbling up 49% of my signal. At 25' you're losing 28.5% and at 10' it's 12.6%.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Tried two log periodic antennas and proxicast mimo antenna at this location. Have done two other of these set ups but this location is very difficult to get a signal for some reason. Literally have a place a quarter of a mile farther away on the same road with better signals than this place. The antennas have about the same height as well as the other property.

Return to “Questions and Support”