Omni & Directional antenna together

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
gscheb

Omni & Directional antenna together

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Was wondering if anyone has every tried to use a omni directional antenna with a log periodic directional antenna together?
Working out in the fringe areas where it is hard to dial in directional antennas at times. Also have foliage in the way as well. To my understanding to use omni antenna have to have spacing between them to do mimo properly which is hard to do with one mounting pole. What if you have one omni on top then one log periodic directional antenna below it? Has anyone tried this?
swwifty

Re: Omni & Directional antenna together

Post by swwifty »

I'm not aware of anyone trying it. I may have in the past while testing antenna setups, but I can't recall.

There shouldn't be much issue aiming some log periodic directional antennas. They have a pretty wide beam width as they are fairly low gain (10dbi or less.)

It just takes some time to aim them and see if the signal improves.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

What about foliage? Is it true the Omni antennas do better with foliage? Or do the log periodic directional antennas work just as well in foliage? Just don't have a way to space the Omni antenna apart really like they should be.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

In my experience, the flat panels will perform better in foliage than the log periodic directional antennas.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

gscheb wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:13 am What about foliage? Is it true the Omni antennas do better with foliage? Or do the log periodic directional antennas work just as well in foliage? Just don't have a way to space the Omni antenna apart really like they should be.
Even though these antennas are directional they have a very wide beam width, due to the low-ish gain.

IMO you're still better off with the directional antennas.

You'll see better upload speeds as well with directional antennas (something to consider, upload is important too.)

Return to “Cellular Antennas”