Raspberry PI setup

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
David522
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Raspberry PI setup

Post by David522 »

I have seen a few screen shots of people with a PI setup and a external USB thing for the 4g lte card. Does anyone have a setup guide for this? I'm moving to a rural area soon and my nearest 4g tower is about 6 miles. Was thinking I might need to do something like that on a solar setup/battery to throw the 4g signal over wifi using some ubiquity gear.

Thanks in advance
gedster314

Re: Raspberry PI setup

Post by gedster314 »

The Rooter Project has a PI image.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

I don't think there is a guide anywhere, but I can help answer questions as I have this setup at home and for multiple customers.

It's fairly easy to do. It's as simple as burning the Rooter image onto a microsd card and powering up the PI. Only configuration that really needs to be done is set the APN and TTL.
Sk252

Post by Sk252 »

Just found this forum a few days ago. I have a unused raspberry pi 3 lying around. I currently use a cradlepoint mbr95 with USB modem with Verizon unlimited data plan. I have been having poor performance lately and believe it’s the USB modem. I need a new setup and was interested in the pi setup. What do I need to make this work. Also open to any alternative setup as I’m new to all this.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Sk252 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:16 am Just found this forum a few days ago. I have a unused raspberry pi 3 lying around. I currently use a cradlepoint mbr95 with USB modem with Verizon unlimited data plan. I have been having poor performance lately and believe it’s the USB modem. I need a new setup and was interested in the pi setup. What do I need to make this work. Also open to any alternative setup as I’m new to all this.
What modem do you have? If it's already in an external USB enclosure you should be able to just plug it into the Raspberry PI.

You'll need to install GoldenOrb on a microSD card for the PI, but configuration is very simple. you can find the installer here:

https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/firmware.html

Scroll to the bottom for your version of the PI.
Sk252

Post by Sk252 »

It’s an actual Verizon modem. Pantech uml 295. I think it is the problem. I Have to reboot multiple times when speeds slow. It’s a usb stick and wasn’t designed for 24/7 use which is what I have been doing for 3 years.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Sk252 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:45 am It’s an actual Verizon modem. Pantech uml 295. I think it is the problem. I Have to reboot multiple times when speeds slow. It’s a usb stick and wasn’t designed for 24/7 use which is what I have been doing for 3 years.
Oh, I'd recommend getting a Sierra MC7455 modem then in a USB enclosure that you can attach to a PI3.

You can pick that stuff up at thewirelesshaven.com store.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

What would be some of the pros and cons over going with Raspberry Pi set up, instead of something like a WE1326?

I would likely use the Wi-Fi aspect of the we1326, but I'm not opposed to having a standalone Wi-Fi router.
I need to come up with a replacement for my WRT54G, so one way or another around a replacement is in order.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

motoguy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:55 pm What would be some of the pros and cons over going with Raspberry Pi set up, instead of something like a WE1326?

I would likely use the Wi-Fi aspect of the we1326, but I'm not opposed to having a standalone Wi-Fi router.
I need to come up with a replacement for my WRT54G, so one way or another around a replacement is in order.
It's a long topic, but if you already have an existing network and equipment, the PI might be for you. I really only needed an LTE modem and router, and not a wireless AP.

If you have nothing a WE1326 might be a better option, but I'm also a Engineer for a living, so all of this is second nature for me and I like to have my network setup in a specific way with full control over all of my hardware and setup.
Woolaroc

Post by Woolaroc »

Sorry to hijack but I think this is the route I'm going to go as well vs. the MoFi 4500. I already have an existing home network connected to a Nighthawk M1 but the flexibility just isn't there with the M1. What USB Enclosure is everyone using? I'm leaning towards the EM7565 since it seems to have more bands and CA than the MC7455. Would this still work in the USB Enclosure?
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Woolaroc wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:31 am Sorry to hijack but I think this is the route I'm going to go as well vs. the MoFi 4500. I already have an existing home network connected to a Nighthawk M1 but the flexibility just isn't there with the M1. What USB Enclosure is everyone using? I'm leaning towards the EM7565 since it seems to have more bands and CA than the MC7455. Would this still work in the USB Enclosure?
Yes, the EM7565 will work in a USB enclosure, just not the same one that works for the EM7455.

You can get everything you need a the The Wireless Haven store, but here is a direct link to the enclosure you'll need for the EM7565.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... enclosure/
Woolaroc

Post by Woolaroc »

Perfect, thanks! Too bad it's out of stock!
ninjamaster

Post by ninjamaster »

Hey SWWFTY, nice name! I joined the forum for your help. Please pm me. Thank you

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”