M2M Router - Wifi Cards flipped/Slow speeds (.5mb/s)/no ipv6

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Sexyjesus

M2M Router - Wifi Cards flipped/Slow speeds (.5mb/s)/no ipv6

Post by Sexyjesus »

Just received everything today and followed installation instructions exactly. My setup is as follows:

M2M H721 Router
EM7576 Modem
Compex QCA9880 for 5ghz
Atheros AR5BXB92 for 2.4ghz
2x 15dBi Yagi Directional Panel Antennae
LMR 400 10ft to LMR 200 to SMA Jumpers
Running a new AT&T Ipad account

I ran into just one snag when changing settings - My radio0 card shows up as Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880 and radio1 shows up as "Generic Mac80211". Is there a reason these cards show up opposite of the guide I followed on here? It seems like they swapped places from the guide and not sure if that might just be firmware or if one of the UFL popped off when putting the router back together. (Was very careful to not pinch any cables, but didn't want to tear it apart again just yet if it might be something simple.

But the real issue is I dont seem to be able to connect to anything. I'm currently limited with testing due to the lack of a laptop, and cable length for my ethernet/LMR400 for antennae - so I can't just run around and see what might work right this second. Wanted to make sure I hadn't made a mistake somewhere along the line. The swapped Wifi cards concerned me. I am in a metal sided/roofed building with weak signal indoors, and am not sure if this is the cause. Going to go grab some long length ethernet cables to test further. I've moved the panel antenna to several windows just to see if I can pick anything up and nothing as of yet. SIM shows up under settings just fine, but not sure if the SIM light should be lighting up as I have yet to see it do so (SIM is in proper B slot). Modem shows up in GoldenOrb just fine, and under provider will say connecting, followed by "Failed to Connect: Retrying". Have not flashed any Firmware for anything as of yet.

Not sure if this might be directly correlated with just weak signal, but I figured I could atleast get some kind of connection. Tried both Omni Antenna and the panels currently (just not outside yet). Any help is greatly appreciated guys!
Sexyjesus

Re: M2M Router not receiving signal - Help appreciated!

Post by Sexyjesus »

So after reinstalling the omni Antennae and taking the router on the back deck, I was in fact able to get signal.

Strength 51%
CSQ 16
RSSI -81 dBm
RSRP -115 dBm
RSRQ -18.9

Obviously setting up the yagis will definitely help dramatically improve the signal, but only had about 5 minutes before a downpour shut me down very quickly. So I'm still curious about the wifi cards and why they are showing up backwards, and why the Atheros and Compex cards are showing up backwards, although installed in the correct config according to the build guide? Also might be a dumb question, but what are you all using for atnenna masts/mounts? I know they have mounts designed for this, but not sure if I will be able to find one local and be forced to order it as well.
terryjett

Re: M2M Router following build guide - Wifi cards are flipped?

Post by terryjett »

Also might be a dumb question, but what are you all using for atnenna masts/mounts? I know they have mounts designed for this, but not sure if I will be able to find one local and be forced to order it as well.
Sorry I cannot help with the wifi card backwards issue.

But for your mast mount, share what you are dealing with. Very hard to recommend anything when do not know type of structure you are mounting to.

If your dealing with a single vertical mast pole, simply stack then and keep them a wavelength apart. Take a look at this and might give you some ideas:

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=251
smartdave
Has thanked: 0

Post by smartdave »

I also saw the same issues.

I ended up building the M2M in pieces.

First I installed the Compex card. Booted the M2M and configured it.

Shut down the system

Installed the atheros card for 2.4.. Booted and configured that

Shut Down the system

Install the EM7565. Booted and configured that.

To me this was the easy way to insure I had the right cards configed the way I wanted them
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Sexyjesus wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:46 pm Just received everything today and followed installation instructions exactly. My setup is as follows:

M2M H721 Router
EM7576 Modem
Compex QCA9880 for 5ghz
Atheros AR5BXB92 for 2.4ghz
2x 15dBi Yagi Directional Panel Antennae
LMR 400 10ft to LMR 200 to SMA Jumpers
Running a new AT&T Ipad account

I ran into just one snag when changing settings - My radio0 card shows up as Qualcomm Atheros QCA9880 and radio1 shows up as "Generic Mac80211". Is there a reason these cards show up opposite of the guide I followed on here?
I would try resetting the M2M firmware to its default settings. This may change the order and put the Compex first.

Go to SYSTEM > BACKUP / FLASH FIRMWARE >RESTORE > RESET TO DEFAULTS > PERFORM RESET

Note that you will need to reconfigure your APN and Time Zone and any other custom changes you have made.
Sexyjesus

Post by Sexyjesus »

terryjett wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:47 pm But for your mast mount, share what you are dealing with. Very hard to recommend anything when do not know type of structure you are mounting to.
Garage.jpg
House.jpg
A couple pictures of my options. Both house and garage are metal sided/roofed. Was curious if the TV antenna was going to interfere with signal (does not get used anymore), and if I might have the option of using its mast for installation. We do get a fair amount of wind however and I need to replace the mounts before I trust putting these heavy flat panel antennas on there as well, or if I even decide to leave it up for that matter. I'm willing to use guy lines as well just so I can trust any wind wont have issue.

From my research so far, I'd like to keep my cable run short as possible (especially due to cost of LMR400), and currently only ordered 2x10' for testing placement/system right out of the gate.
JimHelms wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:11 am

I would try resetting the M2M firmware to its default settings. This may change the order and put the Compex first.

Go to SYSTEM > BACKUP / FLASH FIRMWARE >RESTORE > RESET TO DEFAULTS > PERFORM RESET

Note that you will need to reconfigure your APN and Time Zone and any other custom changes you have made.
Thank you Jim - I'm currently going through one of your At command guides now as this is my first time in GoldenOrb. I'm also having the issue of not populating an ipv6 as of yet, but will see if I can after going through the reset and reconfiguration. Currently have the antennae in the x type mimo configuration and have yet to see speeds about 1 Mb/s but this is with very limited testing/configuration last night. Think im going to make a hardware store run and see what I can fab up for a simple testing mount to configure everything with signal.

I was curious, I've seen several area surveys that shows the terrain from you to the connected tower - where do I find this/generate this? I'd love to see a terrain field like this of my area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Just be extremely careful when using AT Commands on the EM7565, and make sure you are NOT using commands that were meant for the MC7455 (i.e., resetting the modem to OEM).
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Both house and garage are metal sided/roofed. Was curious if the TV antenna was going to interfere with signal (does not get used anymore), and if I might have the option of using its mast for installation. We do get a fair amount of wind however and I need to replace the mounts before I trust putting these heavy flat panel antennas on there as well, or if I even decide to leave it up for that matter. I'm willing to use guy lines as well just so I can trust any wind wont have issue.
If you have a good secure mount to your eve, use a 8' galvanized corner fence post and will not have to worry about guy wires unless in REAL windy area. Just make sure u-bolts on your antennas are at least 2 3/8" wide. Example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-2- ... /307594483

You can of course use a TV mast, but definitely need guy wires. By the time you buy all the supplies (and your time) be cheaper to go with short sturdy pipe like corner post.

Keep in mind that you need to avoid any "real close" trees if at all possible. Moving over a few feet can make a world of difference.

Also, a metal roof can at times cause some "multi-path issues" but would not worry about that at this point. May never be an issue...

Simplest way to get an "idea" about elevations / obstructions is this site https://link.ui.com/# . You will need to know where the cell tower is. Look for the round blue icon with single line on left, click it and you will see line with two round ends appear on map. Drag one end to your tower and other end to your home location. You can estimate your tower height or PM me map location and I will try to find height in local database.
Sexyjesus

Re: M2M Router - Wifi Cards flipped/Slow speeds (.5mb/s)/no ipv6

Post by Sexyjesus »

An update for those who care to see how this is progressing! After setting up a temporary 10' mast on the deck, I've reached plugged in speeds of 15 down and 3.37 up, now just need to hone in on which towers I should be aiming at. I seem to get conflicting info about different towers depending on who I use. Cellmapper doesn't list nearly any of the towers that opensignal says i'm connecting to. I'm also concerned I'm not receiving IPv6. Also, how do I know if I'm running in CA?

Screenshot_20191122-124617_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191122-124605_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191122-124326_Gallery.jpg
opensignaltowers.jpg
Network Cell info seems to show the 2 towers we connect to the most. House sits in a horseshoe in a downwards slope, and down another small hill to the house itself. Which makes me feel like the garage would be better suited for reaching the tower to the northwest of us, although it would be a much longer Coax run. to make it into the house. How are you all calculating tower height and such? Finding exact locations/gps seems to be difficult unless I'm missing something rather easy lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sexyjesus

Post by Sexyjesus »

JimHelms wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 am Just be extremely careful when using AT Commands on the EM7565, and make sure you are NOT using commands that were meant for the MC7455 (i.e., resetting the modem to OEM).
Im trying to decipher the AT guide from Sierra as we speak - not sure my At password for the EM7576 though and now you've scared me into making sure I'm careful! LOL :lol:
Sexyjesus

Post by Sexyjesus »

at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 5390 Temperature: 24
Reset Counter: 1 Mode: ONLINE
System mode: LTE PS state: Attached
LTE band: B5 LTE bw: 5 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 2535 LTE Tx chan: 20535
LTE SSC1 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC2 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC3 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC4 state:NOT ASSIGNED
EMM state: Registered Normal Service
RRC state: RRC Connected
IMS reg state: No Srv

PCC RxM RSSI: -79 PCC RxM RSRP: -106
PCC RxD RSSI: -105 PCC RxD RSRP: -140
Tx Power: -- TAC: 6711 (26385)
RSRQ (dB): -13.8 Cell ID: 03b20d01 (62000385)
SINR (dB): -1.6

My current router status - still learning what all the info means, but I dont see all the SSCX state: NOT ASSIGNED on a lot of other setups I've seen. It doesn't seem like I'm running CA, but as I said, still trying to understand it all. Also seems like my second antenna is getting drastically less signal strength unless I'm reading this incorrectly.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Sexyjesus wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:18 pm Im trying to decipher the AT guide from Sierra as we speak - not sure my At password for the EM7576 though and now you've scared me into making sure I'm careful! LOL :lol:
Really, there should be very few (if any) changes to the modem that you would need to do.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Sexyjesus wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:51 pm at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS:

PCC RxM RSSI: -79 PCC RxM RSRP: -106
PCC RxD RSSI: -105 PCC RxD RSRP: -140

Your problem is the AUX connector port (RXD) on the EM7565. This is most likely due to the MHF4 pigtail connector has popped off, or is connected to the GPS port as opposed to the AUX.
Sexyjesus

Post by Sexyjesus »

JimHelms wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:00 pm Your problem is the AUX connector port (RXD) on the EM7565. This is most likely due to the MHF4 pigtail connector has popped off, or is connected to the GPS port as opposed to the AUX.
Its like you've done this before! Aux port had indeed been disconnected from the MHF4 - reconnected and second antenna is getting much better signal, but still no CA, yet I know bands 2, 5, and 12 are available. Speeds also seemed to drop aftrer reconnecting the AUX port, down to about a third of what I was getting prior.

PCC RxM RSSI: -75 PCC RxM RSRP: -106
PCC RxD RSSI: -76 PCC RxD RSRP: -105
Tx Power: 23 TAC: 6711 (26385)
RSRQ (dB): -15.1 Cell ID: 03b20d01 (62000385)
SINR (dB): 1.2

Edit - CA seems to be jumping in and out. Assuming its just not picking up the other bands consistently enough. Sadly all its wanting to grab is Band 5 at 5MHZ, but have seen band 2 popup which was giving much better speeds consistently. Does band locking work the same on the EM7576 as the EM4XXX?
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Replied to your PM Nick and added some pics that may (or may not, lol) give you some insight to towers around you.

As I stated there, hard to believe AT&T has as many towers as opensignal showing. Could be wrong, but that sure is heavy concentration. Wondering if you roaming? Think most towers closest to you are along 55 and I 55 (east).
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Sexyjesus wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:24 pm Does band locking work the same on the EM7576 as the EM4XXX?
Yes, you can lock the bands on the EM7565 using the same method and commands as the EM74xx.

Ideally, you want the secondary bands to at least show themselves on the GSTATUS return stats.

You may want to move the router to a different location and/or reposition the antennas.

Small movements can often make large differences.
Sexyjesus

Post by Sexyjesus »

terryjett wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:04 pm Replied to your PM Nick and added some pics that may (or may not, lol) give you some insight to towers around you.

As I stated there, hard to believe AT&T has as many towers as opensignal showing. Could be wrong, but that sure is heavy concentration. Wondering if you roaming? Think most towers closest to you are along 55 and I 55 (east).
It helped tremendously! I tried flipping antennas to that tower and although I did receive a stronger signal and a fairly high SINR, it lacked picking up the second band therefore speeds dropped. After about 20 minutes I readjusted towards the south and started getting consistent B2 CA again. I believe since I'm still testing on the deck, the height gain from the roof should be much better for the tower to the NE due to better line of site. I have quite a few trees in the back yard that are dense and right in the way of that tower.
JimHelms wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:51 pm
Yes, you can lock the bands on the EM7565 using the same method and commands as the EM74xx.

Ideally, you want the secondary bands to at least show themselves on the GSTATUS return stats.

You may want to move the router to a different location and/or reposition the antennas.

Small movements can often make large differences.
at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 10873 Temperature: 38
LTE SSC1 state:ACTIVE LTE SSC1 band: B2
LTE SSC1 bw : 20 MHz LTE SSC1 chan: 700
LTE SSC2 state:NOT ASSIGNED

PCC RxM RSSI: -83 PCC RxM RSRP: -106
PCC RxD RSSI: -86 PCC RxD RSRP: -105
SCC1 RxM RSSI: -82 SCC1 RxM RSRP: -123
SCC1 RxD RSSI: -84 SCC1 RxD RSRP: -127
Tx Power: 22 TAC: 6711 (26385)
RSRQ (dB): -15.8 Cell ID: 03b20d01 (62000385)
SINR (dB): -1.8

So to my understanding, I'm showing the second band (Band 2) here in CA as the secondary band and am just receiving a much weaker signal. I think I might attempt locking B2 as the main band and seeing how that might effect my speeds. Hopefully I can find a radio supplier in my area with longer LMR400 cables so I can do a more permanent install and keep getting increases. :D
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

You are off to a good start.

Band 2 signal stats show it to be practically unusable.

Quality signals are a necessity when using cellular service as a source for internet.
Sexyjesus

Post by Sexyjesus »

So after freezing my ass off outside (I think its 25 real feel right now here), I decided to play with distance between antenna/directional pointing. I had them separated by a single wavelength as recommended, but decided to bring the bottom antenna closer to the top in case LOS might be affecting me. I then adjusted direction by 10 degrees at a time, rotating slowly towards the NE, which as Terry mentioned, we knew there was another tower in that general direction.

I assume bringing the antenna closer together has a larger effect than I expected, or maybe due to the shorter wavelength of the higher bands, but for the first time I hit 3xCA on bands I've never actually attached to before.

at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS:
Current Time: 14614 Temperature: 41
LTE SSC1 state:ACTIVE LTE SSC1 band: B66
LTE SSC1 bw : 10 MHz LTE SSC1 chan: 0
LTE SSC2 state:ACTIVE LTE SSC2 band: B30
LTE SSC2 bw : 10 MHz LTE SSC2 chan: 9820

PCC RxM RSSI: -86 PCC RxM RSRP: -101
PCC RxD RSSI: -93 PCC RxD RSRP: -106
SCC1 RxM RSSI: -83 SCC1 RxM RSRP: -117
SCC1 RxD RSSI: -85 SCC1 RxD RSRP: -121
SCC2 RxM RSSI: -84 SCC2 RxM RSRP: -122
SCC2 RxD RSSI: -91 SCC2 RxD RSRP: -130
Tx Power: 21 TAC: 671f (26399)
RSRQ (dB): -13.2 Cell ID: 03b19903 (61970691)
SINR (dB): 4.4

Now obviously the connection to these bands are VERY weak at the moment, but I immediately saw a massive swing in performance nearly tripling my download speeds. Very exciting to see such results, especially when you've been stuck in the country with Satellite for the last year after moving from 100+Mb/s services in the city. My testing is far from over, but very excited to maximize the potential of my network finally. Currently maxing out around 30-50Mbps, but excited to see the potential with a 20-30' height increase. Is there a certain length of cable I should stay under? I'd like the shortest runs possible, but considering the garage might give me even more height for LoS, I'm wondering if an extra 10-15' of LMR would hinder me if I can gain say 5dbm moving to the garage and using extra cables.

Thanks to everyone thats helped so far, but looks like I will have a lot more testing to maximize our potential and am having a blast doing it.

Return to “General and Unclassified”