Firmware Issues on the EM7455

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Blurb

Firmware Issues on the EM7455

Post by Blurb »

So after trying 3 different windows 7 machines and a combination of every driver mentioned in the repair guide and on the sierra page here https://source.sierrawireless.com/resou ... uild-4773/

None of the windows 7 machine either 32 or 64 bit would load drivers and recognize the em7455. So I went to a windows 10 machine and it took the drivers, but device manager says

Under Modems
DW5811e Snapdragon(TM) X7 LTE modem (error with code 10 device cannot start)

Under com ports
DW5811e Snapdragon(TM) X7 LTE DM PORT(COM4) (error with code 10 device cannot start)

DW5811e Snapdragon(TM) X7 LTE NMEA PORT(COM5) (error with code 10 device cannot start)

So I tried to flash with generic firmware anyway from here
https://source.sierrawireless.com/resou ... -packages/

but it fails with the following dialog

Code: Select all

FDT version: 1.0.1702.1
Awaiting adapter ...
Setting images preference ...
Resetting ...
Awaiting download port ...
Enabling selective suspend ...
Firmware download failed.
Primary error code: 82 - Failed in checking modem mode.
Secondary error code: 5 - Neither NDIS adapter nor serial port is available.
Device error code: 0x0 - Unknown device error code.

Preexisting images information:
        Current:
                Firmware:
                        ImageId: 001.003_000
                        BuildId: 01.02.00.02_GENEU-4G
                Configuration:
Final images information:
        Current:
                Firmware:
                        ImageId:
                        BuildId:
                Configuration:
                        ImageId:
                        BuildId:

OEM PRI:

IMEI:

Total time elapsed: 38032 ms.

Time to switch to boot mode: -1 ms.
So there you have it. Is this card dead? The only thing going for it is it shows up in connection manager.

Also, I'm using the usb adaptor without a sim card. Must I insert a sim card to flash firmware and use the terminal program to issue ATA commands etc.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Firmware Issues on the EM7455

Post by JimHelms »

Not certain which tool kit you tried but there maybe something in HERE or HERE that will help you.
Blurb

Post by Blurb »

Well hmm. All attempts to use the windows method for fixing the card have failed.

I followed the TOOL KIT FOR SIERRA WIRELESS ISSUES all the way through. Even had to uninstall everything again and perform step 2. However, step 2 failed to install the drivers needed to define the card. So all I had was errors in device manager telling me that it couldn't find drivers for four em7455 devices. Then eventually windows 10 went online and found drivers of it's own and now I have the same issue as before. Error codes for com ports that will not start.

I guess I disconnect the machine form the internet and start all over again.
danielewood

Post by danielewood »

Blurb wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:26 am

FDT version: 1.0.1702.1
Awaiting adapter ...
Setting images preference ...
Resetting ...
Awaiting download port ...
Enabling selective suspend ...
Firmware download failed.
Primary error code: 82 - Failed in checking modem mode.
Secondary error code: 5 - Neither NDIS adapter nor serial port is available.
Device error code: 0x0 - Unknown device error code.

Preexisting images information:
        Current:
                Firmware:
                Configuration:
Final images information:
        Current:
                Firmware:
                        ImageId:
                        BuildId:
                Configuration:
                        ImageId:
                        BuildId:

OEM PRI:

IMEI:

Total time elapsed: 38032 ms.

Time to switch to boot mode: -1 ms.
I encountered this exact problem today. The fix was to point the EM7455 errored device at the DW5811e Snapdragon(TM) X7 LTE QDLoader PORT driver.

You'll have about 30 seconds to perform this action once it resets the modem.

After that, it flashed fine. Interestingly enough, it changed all the VID/PID to the default Sierra Wireless values. So I had to then uninstall the Dell drivers and install the Sierra Drivers. Which is fine with me.
Blurb

Post by Blurb »

Let's see,

The card was supposed to be generic, but it wasn't. So when I tried to flash the newest generic firmware to it, it failed putting the card into some kind of boot wait mode. That was after following the guides here telling me to use such and such a driver and then to reset the card to factory defaults via special AT commands. Unfortunately, once I did finally get an open comport, the cards firmware was so old that it told me that the reset commands had not been implemented, thus the need for newer firmware. So there I was with an em7455 that had failed to update and now wouldn't even turn on to the point of lighting the led on the usb to m.2 adapter.

So I prowled the net and eventually followed the guides here https://zukota.com/sierra-wireless-em74 ... com-ports/

After booting to linux to force open the cards com ports, next I had to use the huawei windows drivers here https://zukota.com/sierra-wireless-em74 ... vo-laptop/ to enable the comport in windows, as the recommend sierra drivers still failed to work(explanation points in device manager on com ports), while the non recommend sierra drivers would shut the em7455's com ports back down again to the point of requiring another linux boot to fix.

With the comports now open via huawei drivers in windows, you'd think I'd be ok, but that was not the case, as the card was still in boot wait and wouldn't take the generic flash. Luckily I found monroelkjr's(a once frequenter here) post over at the sierra wireless forums
https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/em74 ... flash/9269

With the card in boot wait, but accepting AT commands, the magic commands were

AT!ENTERCND=“A710”
AT!USBPID=9071,9070
AT!USBVID=1199
AT!USBPRODUCT=“EM7455”
AT!PRIID=“9904802”,“001.001”,“Generic”
AT!RESET

After that, the em7455 accepted the generic firmware and all was well.......

So what do the commands do????

VID : PID per windows device manager
413C : 81B6 - Dell DW5811e LTE version
413C : 81B8 - Dell DW5811e HSPA only version (do not get this)
1199 : 9071 - EM7455 Generic Sierra Wireless
1199 : 9079 - EM7455 Lenovo version

The card was originally (I think) branded 413C : 81B6 Dell DW5811e LTE version.. When I tied to flash generic firmware, it failed, leaving the card in boot wait limbo, I guess.. So I had to do all that work just to get back into the em7455 in order to change the VID:PID to generic. The 9070, I think is a special boot code. So @danielewood: Yes, the boot code, which is part of those commands above, if correct would mean that your suggestion would work. I could just never time it right, or perhaps the boot wait code on my card was not 9070, which would mean the firmware would not flash because that had been changed. The scary part is, according to the sierra At command reference guide, such cards could have their master passwords changed by Dell upon re-branding so that at!entercnd="a710" no longer works in order to get them to accept AT command programming.

On a side note. I've written a com program similar to Huawei Terminal, but nicer I think. Does this forum allow the uploading of software??? If I could get some beta testers, I'd like to eventually make the Terminal program into a non-threating modem manager better than skylight.. Sorta like EM7455 Control Center over at zukota.com. However, since I owe Zukota a debt for all the information he had out there necessary to the saving of my em7455, I will not make my purposed modem manager better than his, since he's trying to make a living selling it.

You can get ComEEE if you like here: http://jwfiledump.000webhostapp.com
rogersmith
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rogersmith »

hi.can someone help me?i got this error when trying to flash my em7455

Flashing SWI9X30C_02.30.01.01_Generic_002.045_000 onto Generic Sierra Modem...
loading device information before the update...
setting firmware preference:
firmware version: '02.30.01.01'
config version: '002.045_000'
carrier: 'GENERIC'
rebooting in download mode...
error: error waiting for TTY: waiting for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb4/4-1' timed out
Firmware Update failed, exiting...
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

rogersmith wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:29 pm hi.can someone help me?i got this error when trying to flash my em7455

Flashing SWI9X30C_02.30.01.01_Generic_002.045_000 onto Generic Sierra Modem...
loading device information before the update...
setting firmware preference:
firmware version: '02.30.01.01'
config version: '002.045_000'
carrier: 'GENERIC'
rebooting in download mode...
error: error waiting for TTY: waiting for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb4/4-1' timed out
Firmware Update failed, exiting...
are you trying to flash it back to generic, or just update it?
rogersmith

Post by rogersmith »

im trying to flash it back to generic
Rrutl

Post by Rrutl »

Is it possible that while trying to diagnose and fix connection issues on my EM7455 that it was reverted back to the Dell firmware (it had supposedly been flashed with generic when I purchased it) I had followed some instructions related to a possible connection fix and now my ID shows 413C 81b6 which is apparently the Dell firmware. My initial indication of a problem was that i noticed the modem is in LPM (low power mode) and after some research it seems there is now a configuration mismatch. Can the firmware only be flashed outside of the modem (USB adapter) as always I will continue researching as I await what I hope might some nuggets of wisdom from the good folks here. TIA for any help.

P.S. I wanted to edit and add some info I had found since my OP. I looked at what the 'current' vs 'preferred' firmware versions were in AT and there were two listed with a mismatch noted. I found one reference on another forum that said up to four firmware images can be stored on the EM 7455 at once. Also some references that said the modem would select its own preference based on the sim ID. If any of this additional info will help someone to advise me I am appreciative.
gff1stof3

Post by gff1stof3 »

I would try this guys script on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHJ5n3Jaj1Q&t=12s

You will need to download ubuntu and just boot it from a flash drive on any laptop or pc. Just select try it and it wont install anything or mess with your windows PC unless you tell it to. You will need a usb adapter to connect the em7455 or mc7455 to ubuntu. This script will turn a Dell or Lenovo EM7455 into a generic EM7455 and update its firmware to the latest version. You can pick these Dell EM7455's up on Ebay for around 35 bucks.

The only issues I ran into was it did not work well for me on USB3 interfaces. Finally I had to use an old laptop I had laying around with USB2.0 ports and then it worked flawlessly.
disneyforlife

Post by disneyforlife »

Does anyone possible know the AT commands and pid/vid to convert the dell 7355 to oem? Please and thank you. Also I don't see the com port in windows and tried it in a R00ter build since that method was in the instructions for the 7455 linked on this page but even though it says modem present the send command is greyed out. If i try to paste a command like AT!ENTERCND="A710" it instantly disappears.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

You might refer to THIS document.
disneyforlife

Re: Firmware Issues on the MC7355

Post by disneyforlife »

I did and finally got to where i can send at commands via R00ter thanks to that link and multiple tries but it won't let me run the reset to oem command and the pid/vid and i am guessing the rest of the commands are different for the mc7355 i have found different ones just don't know which to use. I tried AT!UDVID=1199 and AT!UDPID=9041 and it seems to have worked . thank you for the response . Jim I have tried to reach you via sale support on the The Wireless Haven site and pm here about purchasing equipment but I have not heard back and it's been a few days since the first on The Wireless Haven.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Responded to your PM.

To reset the MC7355 (MC7354) to OEM status:

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!RMARESET=OEM
Note that by resetting to OEM, a vendor branded modem that has been modified, will resort back to the vendor settings.
deadlord_2

Post by deadlord_2 »

Hello,

I have installed a dw5811e on dell e5570, the problem is that it is only working on 3g mode, I'm trying to flash the device to generic mode but I could not get the putty to connect, there is 2 com ports available, on port3 just black screen with no input enabled and on port5 just some numbers, I'm not an expert on computer programming, could someone please let me know how to make the connection correct to run the commands , thanks

https://imgurl.ir/uploads/y803850_.jpg

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”