Cradlepoint CBA850LP6 and amplifi mesh network help

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Grizz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cradlepoint CBA850LP6 and amplifi mesh network help

Post by Grizz »

Hi all..completely new to this so thanks in advance for the help. We recently moved to an internet black hole. After finding this forum i purchased the cradlepoint CBA850LP6 and activates ATT plan.

I have it paired with my amplifi mesh network to cover our entire house. I am up and running but I think I could potentially be getting a better signal.

Currently the cradlepoint is on 2nd floor closest to the cell tower. RSRP is -91db, RSRQ is -11db and SINR is 15.6db.

It is my understanding I should be around -9db for RSRQ. Any advice is greatly appreciated and apologies in advance for my limited knowledge on this setup.
Grizz

Re: Cradlepoint CBA850LP6 and amplifi mesh network

Post by Grizz »

Forgot to add that speeds are 12-13 down and 7-8 up pretty consistently
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Cradlepoint CBA850LP6 and amplifi mesh network help

Post by JimHelms »

Grizz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:17 am Hi all..completely new to this so thanks in advance for the help. We recently moved to an internet black hole. After finding this forum i purchased the cradlepoint CBA850LP6 and activates ATT plan.

I have it paired with my amplifi mesh network to cover our entire house. I am up and running but I think I could potentially be getting a better signal.

Currently the cradlepoint is on 2nd floor closest to the cell tower. RSRP is -91db, RSRQ is -11db and SINR is 15.6db.

It is my understanding I should be around -9db for RSRQ. Any advice is greatly appreciated and apologies in advance for my limited knowledge on this setup.
Lets take a more detailed look at your signals. Are you familiar with using the Device Console?

After logging into the Device Console, run the following command to get the AT Command Terminal:

Code: Select all

atterm
Thereafter, run this AT Command and post an image of the results.

Code: Select all

AT!GSTATUS?

Accessing the AT Command Terminal can also be accomplished using PuTTy. I prefer this method as it will allow you to copy and paste the AT Commands, as well as to copy the output to easier post the results on the forum.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

Thanks! I will give this a shot when I return home thursday
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

I believe I did this correctly. Attached is the image of the results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Check to make sure your antennas are connected to the MAIN and AUX port on the MC400LP6 modem (and not the GPS).

Your MAIN (RxM) is receiving a good signal.

Your AUX (RxD) is receiving a very poor signal.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

I feel like an idiot. One antenna was in fact in the GPS port..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

No need to feel like that...it is all a learning process.

I would now power off and power back on the router, and then run the AT Command one more time and post the results.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

Here are the results after powering down and back on
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

The readings look a lot better than your initial stats.

I still do not see it picking up a secondary carrier that would be used for Carrier Aggregation.

You are connected on Band 12 which is only providing 5HMZ of bandwidth.

You may try relocating the router to a different area of the house and then run the AT Command.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

moved it to different section of the house. This is the result I got but for some reason my download speeds have gone way down. I was 15-20 now I am 3-5
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

moved it back to the previous location and still getting slower speeds.. perhaps it is due to the time of day? attached are the results
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

It may be time to figure out the location of the all the towers around you, and consider installing some external directional antennas.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

So i have the router on the side of the house closest to an ATT tower. I was thinking about external antenna options. I will search the forum for some instructions
Need4Speed

Post by Need4Speed »

Your problem is the b12 being only 5 mhz. That's the lowest possible and why I only recommend modems with 3 CA such as the Em7565. But it also depends on what the tower offers. U may want to check cellmapper.net to see bands available.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Need4Speed wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 pm Your problem is the b12 being only 5 mhz. That's the lowest possible and why I only recommend modems with 3 CA such as the Em7565.
It matters little whether it is 2 x CA or 3 x CA or 4 x CA if only the primary band (i.e., no secondary bands) is being received from the tower.

And, if Band 12 is only 5MHz, the category of modem (i.e., CAT6 vs CAT12) will not change the tower transmission of only 5MHz on that band.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

It appears the towers nearest me are 12,2,17*,30. I am not clear on how to interpret the ranges on the web version of cellmapper but we are the blue dot on the maps attached
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

another screen shot of tower east of me.

Another stupid question. When i get the correct antenna figured out does the signal run from antenna to modem via coax cable? I am assuming it does. Even though we do not have cable at the house it is already wired for it. Should make connecting antenna easier..
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Grizz wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:26 am another screen shot of tower east of me.

Another stupid question. When i get the correct antenna figured out does the signal run from antenna to modem via coax cable? I am assuming it does. Even though we do not have cable at the house it is already wired for it. Should make connecting antenna easier..
You will require 50 ohm low loss cables to connect the antennas to the router. I would look to the line of Times Microwave coax cables.

As for your antennas, I would consider a set of the Wide Band 15dBi directional antennas. They seem to perform well over a wide range of applications and terrain.

You may find some helpful information HERE on antennas.

As for your Band selection, you may find the trial and error method to be the best procedure due to variables that cannot be changed--such as tower congestion on a certain band.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

I would need to order 2 of those antennas correct? Assuming that i plug one into each port on the cradlepoint?

Would these work as well?
698-2700MHz Yagi Radome 9dBi-11dBi 4G LTE Directional Antenna

Little bit less expensive
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Grizz wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 pm I would need to order 2 of those antennas correct? Assuming that i plug one into each port on the cradlepoint?
Yes, two are required to take advantage of MIMO.
Would these work as well?
698-2700MHz Yagi Radome 9dBi-11dBi 4G LTE Directional Antenna

Little bit less expensive
They would work and seem to perform well in applications with line of sight with the tower (i.e., no obstructions or trees or hills).

Return to “General and Unclassified”