Upgrade Em7455 to 7565

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
PirateDaddy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Upgrade Em7455 to 7565

Post by PirateDaddy »

Hello!

A while ago I finally took control of my internet access and purchased a mofi router / modem with the Sierra wireless 7455 module inside.

I know I severely overpaid for this setup... But since I already have it I am wondering,

1. Would I be able to swap a Sierra Wireless 7565 module into the mofi? I don’t even want to think about the total cost of this setup but at this point the mofi is a sunk cost

2. If so, would I need to flash custom firmware to make it work?

3. Do you think I could get better Download speeds by upgrading the 7455 in the mofi to a 7565, keeping everything else the same?

I know there are a lot of other variables that I could tune to improve my bandwidth but this is one major idea I am considering.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade Em7455 to 7565

Post by JimHelms »

PirateDaddy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:44 pm
1. Would I be able to swap a Sierra Wireless 7565 module into the mofi? I don’t even want to think about the total cost of this setup but at this point the mofi is a sunk cost
Yes, it would require a Mini PCI-E adapter and changing the U.FL to SMA Female pigtails to MHF4 to SMA Female (5 inch) pigtails
2. If so, would I need to flash custom firmware to make it work?
Yes, I doubt the MoFi firmware supports the EM7565. You can upgrade to GoldenOrb and be good to go.
3. Do you think I could get better Download speeds by upgrading the 7455 in the mofi to a 7565, keeping everything else the same?
I would be surprised if you didn't. But as you mention, there are a lot of variables to consider that can and will affect performance. Some, such as the quality and strength of cellular signals can be enhanced with external antennas. Others, such as tower congestion, is hard to get around.
gscheb

Re: Upgrade Em7455 to 7565

Post by gscheb »

Hello,

Mention that the mofi is a sunk cost?
If you look on eBay they are popular on there and regularly sell for $250 and up.
Just mentioning it if you ever consider selling it and starting fresh. Mofi isn't a bad product for someone who just wants to get internet with out getting to far into the weeds. Just a thought.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”