Testing for dead EM7565 or bad router mini-PCIe connector

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
xdavidx

Testing for dead EM7565 or bad router mini-PCIe connector

Post by xdavidx »

I've been out of the loop for the past couple months due to other priorities. In July, my EM7565 in my WE1326 router, stopped working. The router doesn't see the modem. I ordered another M.2 to mini-PCIe adapter and tried that today in the router. Same issue.

My Windows laptop (Dell XPS L502x) does have a mini-PCIe slot. In theory, I should be able to test the modem in the new adapter in the laptop. If the laptop can see the modem, then it is my router that is faulty. If it can't, then it is probably the modem.

What is the best way to test this in a Windows laptop in its mini-PCIe slot (no USB adapter)? I know from reading past posts that Windows might try to manage the modem and I don't want to mess it up if it is working. I'm fine with booting linux off a USB stick if that is best, but I'd rather stick with Windows if possible, to reduce effort.

And with whatever configuration I need in order to safely boot with the modem in there, what exactly would I use to test whether the modem is operational?

Thanks for any help. Just trying to reduce hassle of sending the modem back if it is really the router that is faulty.

David
swwifty

Re: Testing for dead EM7565 or bad router mini-PCIe connector

Post by swwifty »

I would live boot Linux off a USB stick. It'll be much easier in Linux to see if the modem is bad or not. You can easily send AT commands to it with basic Linux tools to see if the modem is still good or not.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

Thanks. Is there any particular distro I need or utilities I need to include to make it see the modem when plugged into the mini-PCIe slot of the laptop?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

xdavidx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:07 pm
What is the best way to test this in a Windows laptop in its mini-PCIe slot (no USB adapter)? I know from reading past posts that Windows might try to manage the modem and I don't want to mess it up if it is working. I'm fine with booting linux off a USB stick if that is best, but I'd rather stick with Windows if possible, to reduce effort.
I assume you have a USB to M.2 adapter. You should be able to plug it into a USB port on a Windows Laptop/PC and install the Sierra Wireless generic software drivers for Windows.

Just remove the SIM Card and/or do not try to connect to the internet while plugged behind the Windows machine.

Then, look in Windows device manager and see if it is seeing the modem.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

JimHelms wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:43 am I assume you have a USB to M.2 adapter. You should be able to plug it into a USB port on a Windows Laptop/PC and install the Sierra Wireless generic software drivers for Windows.

Just remove the SIM Card and/or do not try to connect to the internet while plugged behind the Windows machine.

Then, look in Windows device manager and see if it is seeing the modem.
I don't have a USB to M.2 adapter. I have M.2 to mini-PCIe adapters and my laptop has mini-PCIe slots.

If not connecting to the internet is what keeps Windows from doing bad things, i will download the generic drivers, disable wifi and remove the sim card, plug it into the mini-PCIe slot, and install the drivers and see what it shows in the device manager.

Thanks for the help.
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

xdavidx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:55 pm Thanks. Is there any particular distro I need or utilities I need to include to make it see the modem when plugged into the mini-PCIe slot of the laptop?
an ubuntu live cd should work just fine
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

Okay, I downloaded the Sierra drivers and installed them. I disabled wifi and plugged the M.2 to mini PCIe adapter and modem into my laptop. Nothing in Device Manager. This was with the newer adapter I bought. I switched to my original adapter and same thing. Nothing showing up. I unplugged the wifi adapter that sits in a mini-PCIe half length slot next to the slot I was messing with and plugged it into the slot and it showed up in Device Manager. So the mini-PCIe slot is working properly.

I have to believe the modem is dead at this point. @JimHelms, do I start an RMA process through thewirelesshaven.com?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

xdavidx wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:05 pm Okay, I downloaded the Sierra drivers and installed them. I disabled wifi and plugged the M.2 to mini PCIe adapter and modem into my laptop. Nothing in Device Manager. This was with the newer adapter I bought. I switched to my original adapter and same thing. Nothing showing up. I unplugged the wifi adapter that sits in a mini-PCIe half length slot next to the slot I was messing with and plugged it into the slot and it showed up in Device Manager. So the mini-PCIe slot is working properly.

I have to believe the modem is dead at this point. @JimHelms, do I start an RMA process through thewirelesshaven.com?
Yeah, I am not sure what is happening or where the issue is. Login into your account and select the order with the modem and execute an RMA.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

JimHelms wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:43 pm Yeah, I am not sure what is happening or where the issue is. Login into your account and select the order with the modem and execute an RMA.
Sorry, but I'm not seeing an RMA option. I'm logged in through Amazon, so I don't know if that is why, or if I'm just blind. :D

Where on the screen would it be?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Contact the store via contact form.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:59 am Contact the store via contact form.
Will do. Thanks!
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

Since I purchased it more than 30 days ago, I have to do the RMA process through Sierra Wireless. I submitted my request to them for the RMA. thewirelesshaven.com gave me all the links needed to check my warranty, read about the RMA process, and submit the ticket. (posting this for others who may come across this)

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”